Not open for further replies.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Gator98MD;n310799 said:
Any whiskey being mixed with soda is not worth drinking. Real bourbon is had either neat or on ice

I prefer it on ice alone as well, just saying Sun Drop is a good mixer. Wink used to be back in the day as well, but you can't find it that often anymore.

TaterGator

Mmmm Taters
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2014
So I know this is the pepsi vs coke forum but I didn't know where else to post my thoughts so here goes... When we started the season and looked less than fantastic I thought what everyone else did. This is a rebuilding year and we are trying to find ourselves as a team. As the season progressed, we squeaked out close wins against teams we should crush (except our first scrimmage game which seems to be a given blowout even with suckcramp miscouching) and looked dominant against what were at least thought of as good teams. Now part of me is very logical and assumes that we are young and pay too much attention to what analyst's say, thus trying hard against hard competition and crushing them while ignoring bad teams and scraping by. But there is another side that keeps rising up inside me. Rising up like the little roaches that seem to be beat but alas come crawling by when you assumed you've won. This other side tells me it's all a mind game from coach Mac. That paranoid little critter says that the reason he called flu was to get an upper hand. Ploys against the dwags (can't recall specifically but someone here pointed them out as well) and now with horrible qb play from treon giving me a paranoid fantasy. Maybe, just maybe, he is going to use it all to punch my least favorite team in the nation in the mouth. Come the SEC championship game, when we square off against trailerbama, and all signs point to a terrible Gator whooping, coach Mac busts out the limpson crieds greatest weakness. A formidable, dominate, and unknown dual threat quarterback, Treon Harris! I know, I know, some of yall are doubled over laughing. But who better to know their weakness? Who would suspect a coach to play such a risky game? How much more could one win knowing that your team has been playing left handed when they are a righty? Maybe it's the hustler paranoid Gator glasses wearing me, but maybe Mac is a legend in waiting.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Alligatoridae;n310816 said:
So I know this is the pepsi vs coke forum but I didn't know where else to post my thoughts so here goes... When we started the season and looked less than fantastic I thought what everyone else did. This is a rebuilding year and we are trying to find ourselves as a team. As the season progressed, we squeaked out close wins against teams we should crush (except our first scrimmage game which seems to be a given blowout even with suckcramp miscouching) and looked dominant against what were at least thought of as good teams. Now part of me is very logical and assumes that we are young and pay too much attention to what analyst's say, thus trying hard against hard competition and crushing them while ignoring bad teams and scraping by. But there is another side that keeps rising up inside me. Rising up like the little roaches that seem to be beat but alas come crawling by when you assumed you've won. This other side tells me it's all a mind game from coach Mac. That paranoid little critter says that the reason he called flu was to get an upper hand. Ploys against the dwags (can't recall specifically but someone here pointed them out as well) and now with horrible qb play from treon giving me a paranoid fantasy. Maybe, just maybe, he is going to use it all to punch my least favorite team in the nation in the mouth. Come the SEC championship game, when we square off against trailerbama, and all signs point to a terrible Gator whooping, coach Mac busts out the limpson crieds greatest weakness. A formidable, dominate, and unknown dual threat quarterback, Treon Harris! I know, I know, some of yall are doubled over laughing. But who better to know their weakness? Who would suspect a coach to play such a risky game? How much more could one win knowing that your team has been playing left handed when they are a righty? Maybe it's the hustler paranoid Gator glasses wearing me, but maybe Mac is a legend in waiting.

Just a hint....the paragraph is a beautiful thing.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator98MD;n310799 said:
Any whiskey being mixed with soda is not worth drinking. Real bourbon is had either neat or on ice

That's some pretentious **** right there.

I'll agree that it's a waste to mix some liquor because mixing a $50 bottle vs. a $20 bottle is going to be very similar. However, the master distillers and other bourbon legends (Jimmy Russell, Fred Noe, etc) will tell you to drink it however you like it.

There are some people who'll say that good whiskey or whisky should only be drunk neat, because ice takes aware not only flavor but also texture.

My opinion, if you can afford the liquor, you can drink it however you like.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
alcoholica;n310831 said:
That's some pretentious **** right there.

I'll agree that it's a waste to mix some liquor because mixing a $50 bottle vs. a $20 bottle is going to be very similar. However, the master distillers and other bourbon legends (Jimmy Russell, Fred Noe, etc) will tell you to drink it however you like it.

There are some people who'll say that good whiskey or whisky should only be drunk neat, because ice takes aware not only flavor but also texture.

My opinion, if you can afford the liquor, you can drink it however you like.
By mixing it with ice, water, and or soda water you can actually get a couple of flavor benefits. Most obvious is you tame the burn so that you can appreciate the nuance of the flavor more. But also since the EtOH molecules stick to each other much stronger than to water, you can actually increase the aroma by cutting it a bit with room-temp water. On the other hand the intensity of the flavor such as vanilla, leather, tobacco, ect is not as strong when you cut it, especially with ice, and the viscosity/body is totally lost. I like it neat, or cut with ice, water or soda and will on rare occasion even have a bourbon and ginger or a Manhattan.

Cheers!

TaterGator

Mmmm Taters
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2014
gardnerwebbgator;n310819 said:
Tried, I suppose I need a class. I operate Microsoft Office well but just hitting the enter button on my phone doesn't work the same on here. Sorry, painful in format but hopefully not void of content.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Alligatoridae;n310850 said:
Tried, I suppose I need a class. I operate Microsoft Office well but just hitting the enter button on my phone doesn't work the same on here. Sorry, painful in format but hopefully not void of content.
He's not telling Treon to suck on purpose to fool future foes, but there is no question that the closer we get to the finish line the more he will be able to risk running Treon more, which is his strength.

TaterGator

Mmmm Taters
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2014
gardnerwebbgator;n310819 said:
Also I can't begin to understand how to post all the funny pictures and characters yall do. Maybe a how to video for extremely uninformed posters? Seems like a good idea to me.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Alligatoridae;n310858 said:
Also I can't begin to understand how to post all the funny pictures and characters yall do. Maybe a how to video for extremely uninformed posters? Seems like a good idea to me.
Top right of the post box, the smiley face for most emotes, the underlined A to link photos, links, videos etc.

TaterGator

Mmmm Taters
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2014
lagator;n310857 said:
He's not telling Treon to suck on purpose to fool future foes, but there is no question that the closer we get to the finish line the more he will be able to risk running Treon more, which is his strength.
I'm not sure even my most extreme paranoid side would say that he is telling Treon to suck on purpose, but I could definitely imagine Mac not trying to use his QB guru MOJO to help him get past some deficiencies. Basically not trying as hard and being confident enough in himself to believe that he can get it right when it counts.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
You have to have the secret password to post images.

Coach Mac doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to be very tricky. I think what you see is what we got - an average at best QB behind an inexperienced line. Coach is just trying to field a team that doesn't embarrass itself. A daunting feat in itself. Expect us to continue to attempt to play sound, fundamental football.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
lagator;n310842 said:
By mixing it with ice, water, and or soda water you can actually get a couple of flavor benefits. Most obvious is you tame the burn so that you can appreciate the nuance of the flavor more. But also since the EtOH molecules stick to each other much stronger than to water, you can actually increase the aroma by cutting it a bit with room-temp water. On the other hand the intensity of the flavor such as vanilla, leather, tobacco, ect is not as strong when you cut it, especially with ice, and the viscosity/body is totally lost. I like it neat, or cut with ice, water or soda and will on rare occasion even have a bourbon and ginger or a Manhattan.

Cheers!

Theoretically you may be correct, but aroma is about all you'll benefit from. You will significantly reduce the finish, which can reduce a large amount of flavor. Additionally, anything you use to cool the liquor will also cool the tongue (and oral tissues) and significantly reduce the amount you can actually taste anyway.

By no means am I saying to drink it neat, to each is own. I typically start by taking a couple cubes of ice and a splash of cola. If I have a few, they're neat by the end. Ask me in a couple years and I may be up to drinking premium stuff neat only. If I'm drinking Capt or Sailor, there is more soda than rum.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n310774 said:
I used to love the wild cherry diet pepsi, but after a while of drinking one per day for a few months, I started having pains in my feet. Stopped drinking them, the pains went away. Weird, but true.

Close friend of mine, each morning awoke with severe pain in his shoulder. He went to an orthopedist. That Dr.
suspecting to find something like too little limbering exercising, ask him to go through a typical day with him.
When my friend described his "daddy tradition" of sharing a bowl of ice cream just before he sent his 2 children
to bed. The Dr. asked him what brand ? My friend told him the name of the "cheap" brand of ice cream. The Dr. told
him what "nicer-preicey" brands to restrict himself to. The Dr. had "caught" several of his joint pain patients eating
low cost brands. It seems those cheep brands used cheaper preservative chemicals that associate with pains.
Once my friend switched, pains gone.

Many of us toddle along accepting pains without checking with the correct scientist for help. Stop it !

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
giphy.gif

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
NavetG8r;n310774 said:
I used to love the wild cherry diet pepsi, but after a while of drinking one per day for a few months, I started having pains in my feet. Stopped drinking them, the pains went away. Weird, but true.

Several years ago I roomed with a coworker for several weeks and he would drink a 6-pack of wild cherry diet pepsi every night. He was a lab tech and those guys were a little squirrelly anyway but that has to be one of the weirdest habits I've ever seen.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Diet drinks are just bad for you. Regular sodas are bad enough, but diet ones are horrible for you.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I stop drinking sodas a few months back. I enjoyed Dr. Pepper over all the other sodas.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
1. Root beer
2. Dr. Pepper
3. Coke

Not making any list - Any pepsi, Any diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users