Treon's impact on our team

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We have to walk before we can run. At least we had some decent passes, and hopefully we continue to improve with each game and Treon getting the first team reps in practice.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
The other thing about Treon is that he is getting better and gaining confidence with every play. You can feel it. Driskel peaked early and has gone backwards in his development.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GatorStud;n101154 said:
He needs to say on the bench and act as TH's personal interpreter for any play calls unfamiliar to the frosh.
Yet another unlikely myth that is being perpetrated to the benefit of Driskel, he knows the playbook and is instrumental in developing the offense. I see no evidence of that.

Go back and watch Driskel's pass play to the tailback in the flat on the right (just before the Treon's rushing TD). A slot guy (Debose I think) goes in motion to fake the jet sweep then Driskel snaps the ball almost hitting Debose and the play action fake almost causes Driskel, the slot and the tail back to collide, then both Debose and the tailback head to the same area (taking two defenders with them). Then Driskel throws the ball into the dirt four steps behind the back as usual.

I don't know what the play was SUPPOSED to be (maybe Debose was supposed to line up on the other side and fake the other way or the snap was supposed to be later so Debose cleared out the flat) but it was an abortion. I guarantee is wasn't drawn up like that. It's hard to overcome bullshiit like that. Even if the throw had been good the play was screwed. Get them lined up in the right spots and run the play on time.

We've seen enough of that over the last four years to know what the common denominator is.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Gator Fever;n101126 said:
He also throws those swing passes where the RBs etc. usually don't have to come to a complete stop just to make the catch giving them a chance to do something with the ball.

I think this alone will make our passing yardage go up since our receivers will likely get an extra 5 yards or more after the catch....guys like Powell, Jones and Robinson might reach their full potential with TH as QB. I also hope this has a positive effect on any offensive recruits who might still be considering UF.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n101188 said:
Yet another unlikely myth that is being perpetrated to the benefit of Driskel, he knows the playbook and is instrumental in developing the offense. I see no evidence of that.

Go back and watch Driskel's pass play to the tailback in the flat on the right (just before the Treon's rushing TD). A slot guy (Debose I think) goes in motion to fake the jet sweep then Driskel snaps the ball almost hitting Debose and the play action fake almost causes Driskel, the slot and the tail back to collide, then both Debose and the tailback head to the same area (taking two defenders with them). Then Driskel throws the ball into the dirt four steps behind the back as usual.

I don't know what the play was SUPPOSED to be (maybe Debose was supposed to line up on the other side and fake the other way or the snap was supposed to be later so Debose cleared out the flat) but it was an abortion. I guarantee is wasn't drawn up like that. It's hard to overcome bullshiit like that. Even if the throw had been good the play was screwed. Get them lined up in the right spots and run the play on time.

We've seen enough of that over the last four years to know what the common denominator is.

The points: (1) stay on the bench (2) be there for team mate encouragement instead of sulking (3) teachers are often from those who understand but could never execute. As long as the kid is not initiating the plays as QB, I'm not compelled to continue his bashing nor rescind his Gator membership card.
:fistbump:

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The game changer with dumping Driskel is being able to stretch the field vertically. We completed two passes over forty yards. Sadly I can't remember the last time that happened in a conference game.

Mudd

Lurker
Aug 19, 2014
Concrete Helmet;n101124 said:
Plain and simple he gets the ball to the right guy at the right time. Our guys still are not used to it though. We had 3 players trip or stumble I guess because they were surprised they actually got the ball thrown to them. How Burton dropped the pass in the end zone is beyond me.

It seems OUR WRs turn in to the 3 stooges when the ball is in the air. You watch any other team and a 1 on 1 ball in the air on those deep passes will get caught more time than not. You can't expect to run in a straight line and the ball to hit you in the hands every play. Go get the damn ball and stop stumbling so much when the ball is IN THE AIR! :angry:

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
I'm curious if they let JD attempt a couple of passes JUST so future opponents might have to include that possibility in their defending his Wildcat package.

Mudd

Lurker
Aug 19, 2014
Coach9;n101235 said:
I'm curious if they let JD attempt a couple of passes JUST so future opponents might have to include that possibility in their defending his Wildcat package.

That play and pass should give the opponents hope. :headslap:

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I think Powell should be on the field as much as possible. I know he hasnt done alot yet but I believe he is going to break out eventually. He seems to play with urgency and heart on every play....

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9;n101235 said:

I'm curious to why the hell he's in the game in the first place?

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n101103 said:
I like Jeff Driskel but he's done as far as being a QB. It's obvious he has absolutely no confidence left in himself. If Muschamp wants to save any psyche Driskel has left he will not play him at QB anymore.

I said it a few times before and many just sorta shrugged it off, but I don't think anymore is more relieved to be riding the pine than Jeff Driskel himself. It's total relief and relaxation when he's on the sideline and then total chaos and panic when he gets in the game, even on simple "catch and run the ball straight ahead" plays.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
Staff needs to keep JD mentally engaged in case TH gets hurt. Had a scary moment early in yesterday's game.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah there's no reason Driskel should take another snap. This is coming from Doug Johnson and Noah brindice. I think he's a good guy but it's not fair to keep trotting him outthere he's mentally shot

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If Treon hadn't of been suspended for a week, I think we'd be a one loss team right now. But even with the suspension, I think we beat Mizzou if he was outright starter for that game.

Not only does Treon make more plays than Driskel, but the team simply responds when Harris is in. They didn't play their best game last night, but they at least played with confidence in themselves and in their QB.

GatorSteve

Founding Member
Lounge Lizard
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
I feel bad for Driskel...he looked like the only reason his team was competive in high school. His high school team was also just that...competitive. Treon would have had an impact in Tuscaloosa. I am not saying we would have won that game. We would have definitely won against Missouri and LSU with Treon behind center.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
GatorSteve;n101318 said:
I feel bad for Driskel...he looked like the only reason his team was competive in high school. His high school team was also just that...competitive. Treon would have had an impact in Tuscaloosa. I am not saying we would have won that game. We would have definitely won against Missouri and LSU with Treon behind center.

Bama was the tipping point for me with JD. I had hopes the new offensive staff would make him the player we all hoped for. The o-line did a solid job in the bama game. But we got absolutely zero out of the QB position.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Can't go back. But, forward sure looks better than it did. I know it was "just Vandy" but it was a tough game and a great experience to go and get one more monkey off the back. Makes me, at least, feel better about next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.