Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Spurrier: Florida 50 Oklahoma State 7
Zook: Florida 51 UAB 3
Meyer: Florida 32 Wyoming 14
Muschamp: Florida 41 FAU 3
McElwain: Florida 61 New Mexico State 13

So, what do coaches first games tell us? Not much. And yet, we could learn a few things from this Charleston Southern game. As mentioned in another post, the first game post-Mullen was Charleston Southern and a downturn started to happen. The most dreadful perfect regular season I can remember. People knew we weren't facing quality opponents and we would be killed running Addazio's version of the offense playing an Alabama program that was on its way up. That's what happened.

Now Charleston Southern returns to the Swamp, where they were the beginning of the end, now to be the beginning of what I hope to be glorious. It's no secret that a good portion of Gator Nation, myself included were not fans of the Mullen hire. Heck, I think this board was 90+% against. However, if given the option, we would rather be proven wrong and Mullen lead us back to the promised land rather than suffer through him leading us through another 3-4 years of mediocrity. So far, there has been a lot I've seen that I like about how he's come into the program, but truth is, none of that matters if he doesn't produce on the field.

I actually feel bad for Charleston Southern in this game. I think Mullen goes Spurrier here and runs up the score and shows off his offense. I think Mullen will attempt to gain 600 yards. I don't think he gets there. However, he knows Florida fans are offense starved, he knows a poor debut will get the negativity going. Tomorrow is the first small step in silencing the critics. I think we see some Trask and second team, which has not been a given in these cupcake games in recent years. So what do I think will happen?

500+ Total yards
250ish Passing
250+ Rushing

Defense
Under 200 yards

ST
No missed kicks.

Things to look for:

Passing game: Do we try to go long? How simplified are the routes and do the routes support gaining more yards through the air or by YAC? Does Franks make the easy check downs like Mullen likes or does he try and force it to his first read?

Running game: Do we see more physical running from the backs? Do we see more misdirection and counters? How do Franks and Trask run? And do we see more runs between the tackles or to the outside?

OL: This group has struggled against overmatched teams in recent years...do they dominate here? How much do we see linemen pulling?

Defense: CSU runs a triple option game from the shotgun so this may not be the best barometer, but I expect to see a more aggressive D.

DL: How much do these guys dominate this game? The nature of CSU's offense may cause problems with answering this question with all the cut blocks you generally see.

LB: Do they follow their assignments? Do they miss over 5 tackles combined after last year where this number was reached in one offensive series?

DB's: I'd be shocked if we see too much from them. One INT would be a good start. Not sure how much CSU will pass.

UF 56 CSU 3

Why 3? Because these are the type of games where Offense or special teams does something that allows field goal range. I could be wrong.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I fully expect for them to take some shots down field. They should do well enough on the ground to set that up with play action. The big thing to watch for is will those 50-60 yard passes by Franks connect. If so, then we'll score in the 50's. If not, then the offense will sputter but we should still win by 4 TDs. I don't think this team will be able to stop the run.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Do we execute?

Penalties?

Pass Routes?

Blocking?

Pass Rush?

Kick Returns and Blocks?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
If we don't roll this team it'll be a huge disappointment. Honestly, we should score on every drive unless there's a turnover or end of the half/game.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Look, obviously I was no fan of the Mullinz hire, but he is stuck w a QB who isnt an option QB, a QB who isnt a Div1 or Div2 QB, and a true freshman.

And a collection of Butters Specials on the OL

He gets some leeway if it still looks like trash for a while.

Which isnt to say I wont bytch about it.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
If we don't roll this team it'll be a huge disappointment. Honestly, we should score on every drive unless there's a turnover or end of the half/game.

There better not be turnovers. Especially fumbles.

Oh that's right, Frank's is starting at QB.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
There better not be turnovers. Especially fumbles.

Oh that's right, Frank's is starting at QB.

I'll give them one....sh*t happens. But if there's more than one, not a good sign.

Oct 5, 2014
I'll give them one....sh*t happens. But if there's more than one, not a good sign.

It's no secret that a good portion of Gator Nation, myself included were not fans of the Mullen hire. Heck, I think this board was 90+% against.

A MAJOR EXAGGERATION!!!

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
It's no secret that a good portion of Gator Nation, myself included were not fans of the Mullen hire. Heck, I think this board was 90+% against.

A MAJOR EXAGGERATION!!!

Ok.....but why are you quoting me?

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
No excuses for not completely blowing these guys out. This is one of the worst teams playing this opening weekend and if they score more than one offensive TD the defense should be running steps. Like BMF mentioned, we really shouldn’t punt, once or twice at the max.

I think the offense and defense will be rolling though and should be a good time for all Gators. Will be fun to see Scarlett after missing all of 2017. Also can’t wait to see how Franks reported new dedication manifests as far as composure and decision making. Having such a cupcake in the first game is very welcome this year even though I usually hate it.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
I fully expect for them to take some shots down field. They should do well enough on the ground to set that up with play action. The big thing to watch for is will those 50-60 yard passes by Franks connect. If so, then we'll score in the 50's. If not, then the offense will sputter but we should still win by 4 TDs. I don't think this team will be able to stop the run.

I agree. With an opponent who is SO overmatched, it's hard to know. But I think Mullen does try to get the passing game going. I expect the downfield passes to be better partially because of the receiver upgrades, but partially because Franks should have plenty of time in this game.

Do we execute?

Penalties?

Pass Routes?

Blocking?

Pass Rush?

Kick Returns and Blocks?

Did I erase the routes and blocking? Okay, just checked, I actually had these more detailed, but then it seemed to be getting to long so I left some out. As someone pointed out in another post of mine a while back, special teams is good, but this game won't tell us much about overall change. Granted that can be said for a lot of the team. The only difference I could possibly see is that seeing better offensive pace and organization on offense/defense is something that maybe doesn't matter on the opponent where there is some of that in ST, but scheme is less noticeable with ST or it is for me at least.

I think we should be able to hit the 60's, but I'm trying to temper expectations because of the last few years. I think we will see more 3 or less minute drives instead of the 6-8+ minute of the last few eras. That was another reason for why too many "cupcake" games were close.

Which isnt to say I wont bytch about i
t.

I think this is a good synopsis of Gator fandom.

Having such a cupcake in the first game is very welcome this year even though I usually hate it.

I have begun thinking through a post for mid next week about scheduling, not just ours, but nationwide.

A MAJOR EXAGGERATION!!!

This board being 90+% against? Maybe an exaggeration, I'd say the posts were at least 90% against or not a fan of the hire when it happened.

A good portion? I'd say that isn't an exaggeration. I didn't even say majority. I'd say it's at least 1 out of 3, which is a good portion in my opinion.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The option equals many turnovers.

Last edited:

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
My tradition after a win is a good cigar chased by Rum and Coke, I expect to light up in the 2nd Quarter.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Realistically this should be a 65 - 0 BEATDOWN. SOS and Meyer would have easily hung 60+ on this team. And, for your Trask haters, he will play close to a half of this game

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Unfortunately, there are several on here... I don't attend practice but, what I have seen in scrimmages and the O & B Game - Trask is a better QB than Franks. Hopefully, we will see him play well today.

I'll be headiing up to Evan's Champion's Club seats in a few hours.

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
Unfortunately, there are several on here... I don't attend practice but, what I have seen in scrimmages and the O & B Game - Trask is a better QB than Franks. Hopefully, we will see him play well today.

I'll be headiing up to Evan's Champion's Club seats in a few hours.
Cue donkey's rant.....

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Look, obviously I was no fan of the Mullinz hire, but he is stuck w a QB who isnt an option QB, a QB who isnt a Div1 or Div2 QB, and a true freshman.

And a collection of Butters Specials on the OL

Which isnt to say I wont bytch about it.
That's the most reasonable thing I've ever heard you say. Are you feeling well? Should we be worried?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator