Truth Takes: Mid-Season Grades & Media

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
So, we are 7 games in, but that doesn't mean we can't consider this mid-season. UF is done with games outside the state of Florida for the regular season. How has UF performed?

Quarterback - B
Feleipe Franks is currently #5 in the SEC in SEC Passer Rating. He is averaging 200 ypg. 15 TD's, 5 INT's. Are there still things for him to improve on? Yes. I judge Franks on the basis where this is the first year he has actually played the QB position. I can't say he actually did last year with no OC or no QB coach, same can be said for his high school experience. He's shown vast improvement over last year. There are some on the Twitterverse saying that people that think Franks is changed have no evidence. Go watch film, and you can see him going through progressions if the first read isn't open when given time. Now, is that every play? No. He's still more raw than I'd like. Another example? He's using the middle of the field a lot more (see Moral Stephen's catch this week). His completion percentage is also lower than I'd like. I would point out we've had multiple drops a game (Jefferson on that drag route at Vandy, for example) and he's throwing the ball away this year (which was the #1 complaint I saw about him last year). But, he's a different guy than last year.

Also, 3 other people have thrown passes this year. All have 100% completion percentages.

Running Back - B+
Why not in the A's? The running game was slow coming around. It has started to take off though. Part of it has been the O-Line, but part of it was watching running packs not seeing the holes. There has also been lapses in pass blocking, but not as much as in the past. The good news? If Scarlett and/or Perine leave at the end of the season, Pierce and Davis look more than capable of stepping up.

WR - B+
We've seen some great blocking. Why is that first? Because we have run more than our fair share of screens to utilize the athleticism of our wideouts. We've seen the these guys make great catches (Hammond's diving grab against #failstate and Jefferson against LSU). The drops and sometimes inability to get away from DB's keeps this from being higher.

TE - B-
Moral Stephens has been a revelation. C'yontai Lewis, has been a let down. Raymond had a big TD against UT, but a big drop against UK. Pitts with a big catch and a drop at Vandy. Krull has a catch and a completion. Gamble has been decent. More consistency would raise he grade.

OL - C+
The running game was not too strong early in the season. Pass protection hasn't been the best. They didn't give up a sack to LSU, but that doesn't mean Franks didn't get hit plenty. Heck, he threw the ball away with a defender on him in that game. Heggie looked like he was taking over for El Matador Johnson, but El Matador had a resurgence in Nashville. When these guys do their job, it's amazing how much better Franks and the Running Back does.

DL - A-
The defensive tackles disappear at times, but this d-line has dominated at times, including against a very good #failstate line. Polite is on track to have the most sacks since Harvey in '06. These guys can get pressure with 4, which makes blitzing that much more effective. More consistency would be great, but even during some of our problems at Vandy, Vandy pulled the move we do to protect their line, go outside quickly with outside runs and screens.

LB - B+
I'm treating the pre-Reese return as an aberration. I'll explain. After Reese returned, this position improved 100 fold and not just because of Reese's play. Reese has been solid, but even more important has been his mipact in making sure players are in the right position. This has allowed Vosean Joseph to go from goat to a LB who might be one of the best of the decade in recent years. Also, shout out to the work that Coach Robinson has done. Here's the good news, Robinson will not be leaving until he gets a DC spot, if he wants one. He is faithful to his old coach, Todd Grantham. I think this relationship provides us with benefits for years to come. For a first year coach, I have to specifically give him a shout out when talking about his position group.

DB - B+
The safety play has been mixed and a big portion of the Kentucky loss. However, Brad Stewart has also earned mid-season All-American honors from Pro Football Focus and Sports Illustrated. His two picks were memorable...for those not remembering, he had an arms stretched pick in Knoxville. When Wilson went down, many thought we were F'd. Trey Dean is showing he is capable of being the same true freshman that Haden, Jenkins, Roberson, VH3, and Tabor. Henderson has been improved. CGJ can tackle this year. Shawn Davis has overall been solid since his return. Stiner plays like a 3-star until its time to seal games, but he will seal them.

P - A+
Wilbur, Henry, Christy, Townsend, and now Townsend. That's some great punting since '03. Oh, and great fake. Townsend could have a greater average if only he weren't dropping plenty into the 20 (15), that's half of his 31 punts. Of the remaining 16 punts, he has 7 that were 50+ yards. Of the remaining 9, 2 were touchbacks where he just missed inside the 20.

K - A+
What can you say about a guy who is (should be) perfect on 12 attempts and 25 extra points? I'll repeat what I said week one, I hope he ends his Gators career replacing Jeff Chandler as our all-time leading scorer. At 58 points through 7 games, he's on track.

Return Teams - B+
Haven't done too much in the Kickoff game, but the Punt Return game has been better...except when Swain fails to catch the ball.

Coverage Teams - A-
These teams have been good. If I told you pre-season that the MVP of punt coverage wold be Tyrie Cleveland, would you believe me? A few good returns allowed, but overall these guys have been solid.

Coaching - A-
A team that many said 8-4 was the ceiling now looks like 11-1 is a real possibility. Plenty of things that leave me scratching my head, but overall, what more could we want from what they have inherited? An o-line that is consistent, but that's about how far I can go while recognizing certain players personal limitations. I was not a fan of the Mullen hire, but there's no denying that what he's done this season is nothing short of grand. Now, he has to sustain. I think with a better QB and O-line, it could be unstoppable. Grantham has been great at halftime adjustments...now if he could move that forward a little bit.

Overall, this season has been better than many expected, but there is still a ways to go. I don't think we've seen the end of improvement yet. Go Gators.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The ongoing improvement actually should increase the 2nd half of season - these boys are learning from real coaching. And more coaching is on order.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Overall a very good summary but I disagree on a few grades. I would drop the LBs and DBs to B and B-. They do not play at the same level as our RBs and WRs imo. Also I would put coaching at B+ because of the UK loss, but I agree that coaching as well as players have improved since then.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure if your serious or not? He drops 2 balls for every 1 he catches and he's good for at least 2 to 3 penalties a game. I guess since he's a Sr the coaches favor him but he should be 4th or 5th on the depth chart.
looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Overall a very good summary but I disagree on a few grades. I would drop the LBs and DBs to B and B-. They do not play at the same level as our RBs and WRs imo. Also I would put coaching at B+ because of the UK loss, but I agree that coaching as well as players have improved since then.

I'm not giving the DB's a B- when they are #9 in the nation in pass efficiency D. They can still improve, but considering how the are missing our best DB (though CGJ is making a case) I think a B- would undersell them. Plus, the safety play has improved with the return of Shawn Davis.

The run defense is low at 73. I am, and I'll admit it's slanted, treating the first two games as aberration while missing the QB of the defense, David Reese. In those two games, we gave up 523 yards in the first two games against a triple option team and Benny Snell/Terry Wilson. We also had #failstate which is run heavy. The fact we've dropped the rushing yards average by over 100 yards after that start is a testament to the improvement that's been made and the impact of David Reese. Also, Joseph became an entirely different animal after that change.

I understand where your coming from, just figured I'd respond.

GatorMan5K

Gatorologist
Lifetime Member
Oct 9, 2014
Great write up as always, but some of the grades... Have to wonder if we are grading on a curve so to speak cause of just how bad we have been recently.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Grades are so on the rise that the students are becoming teachers of our opponents. No need to take these midterms as the final measure of their skills.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not giving the DB's a B- when they are #9 in the nation in pass efficiency D. They can still improve, but considering how the are missing our best DB (though CGJ is making a case) I think a B- would undersell them. Plus, the safety play has improved with the return of Shawn Davis.

The run defense is low at 73. I am, and I'll admit it's slanted, treating the first two games as aberration while missing the QB of the defense, David Reese. In those two games, we gave up 523 yards in the first two games against a triple option team and Benny Snell/Terry Wilson. We also had #failstate which is run heavy. The fact we've dropped the rushing yards average by over 100 yards after that start is a testament to the improvement that's been made and the impact of David Reese. Also, Joseph became an entirely different animal after that change.

I understand where your coming from, just figured I'd respond.
I guess where I'm coming from is if you're grading how we've done so far, than you can't disregard poor performances whether starters were missing or not. Plus coverage isn't the only task of the DB's. A lot of our missed tackles have been by them. They've improved as the season has gone on, no doubt, but I haven't watched a B+ unit this half of the season. Hopefully the second half will be a B+ grade or higher.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Kind of nice that we're debating B+'s vs. B-'s, this time last year it was all D's and F's.............

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Kind of nice that we're debating B+'s vs. B-'s, this time last year it was all D's and F's.............

Well, we have 6 times as many pluses as minuses : 6-1.
So, if you find 5 minuses, there's gonna be 30 pluses.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

This is vegan tarzan

image_3_9850.jpg

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Good analysis, but almost all grades are somewhat inflated by my perfection standards. Great conversation (or thread) starter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.