Truth Takes: So...About Wearing All White....

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
First, I want to say that no, uniforms or helmet color have nothing to do with winning/losing. However, I know the 3 times we have worn all white including helmets since '09 we are 0-3. And Sports is superstition. Most players, coaches, etc. have superstitions or routines. Here's one, no more all white head to toe. This is only half kidding, I am now playing superstition.

Second, I was wrong, the UGA offensive line was impressive yesterday. Good play-calling in having Fromm move the pocket as well and some quick reads to negate our pass rush.

Third, Yes, I re-watched a lot of this game while writing this.

I didn't see our team committing 3 turnovers and not getting any. Brad Stewart ended up being suspended and CJ Henderson got injured. Poor decision making to not have Chauncey move to corner and going to a true 3-4 after it became clear McWilliams would be targeted all day. McWilliams did have a nice break up before the half, but was abused for the rest of the game. Or even put Brian Edwards in (he did play a play after McWilliams earned the delay of game on the defense). Great stand after the fumble, but going down by two scores the way the game was going was too much at the point.

Offensively, poor execution killed us. At least one drop hurt us, and the limitations of Franks hurt us more than they have this year. Let me be clear on this, I think Franks should start for the rest of the season, barring some cataclysm. I think he gives us the best shot to win out and get 10 wins. However, I think yesterday solidified an open QB position going into the fall. Dan Mullen's not commitment language about the plan still being to redshirt Emory Jones I think backs this up. Also, unless you want people talking about Jones vs. Franks, why play Jones? Toney can and has done everything Jones yesterday did and more. Toney has even thrown a 50+ yard completion (last year at UK, but no, Del Rio did everything there:facepalm:). I think we see more of Jones going forward, if not, this was poor decision making by Mullen in my opinion because it puts unnecessary noise into the system.

Back to Franks, he was 13 of 21, which is good for a 61.9% completion rating. However, I can't justify all the screen and swing passes because of a 5 yards per completion percentage.

1. The flea flicker. An incompletion that was to a wide open Van Jefferson. IF this is complete, I believe this is an entirely different ball game. Poor throw.
  2. Screen to Grimes for 8 yards.
  3. Screen to Swain for 2 yards.
  4. Great play by Franks to buy time, and a great throw to Toney for a first down.
  5. Terrible throw for the INT. He has one pick a game recently, and I thought, at least it's early.
  6. Quick out to Hammond for a first down. (Franks 4 of 6 at this point)
  7. Underthrown ball to Grimes deep that probably should have been picked.
  8. Screen to Cleveland for a first down.
  9. Screen to Toney for 6 yards.
  10. BIG DROP by Moral Stephens. A low ball, sure but the ball goes in between Stephens hands and body. This is on a third down. If they keep this drive going, we going tie/take the lead halfway through the second quarter. Again, momentum things that add up.
  11. Swing to Scarlett for 4 yards.
  12. The TD to Swain on a beautiful pass. Dangerous, but beautiful (safety almost rips it out of the air).
  13. Screen to Cleveland for no gain on 3rd down.
  14. Screen to Toney for no gain. NO blocking to be seen.
  15. Overthrow of Jefferson down the left sideline. Franks hit after the throw
  16. Throw away, no one open. Maybe Stephens, but not in his sight line while trying to scramble.
  17. Drop by Cleveland on a screen. A little high, not going to go for 15 yards on 3rd and 15 anyway.
  18. Screen to Stephens for 4 yards.
  19. Completion to Grimes down the middle for a first down.
  20. Screen to Krull for 6 yards.
  21. Behind and off the hands of Toney.
I've defended Franks plenty and there's been plenty of bs criticism, but the fact is although he is still learning and still raw, we can't continue to try and force 11 screen/swings when they aren't working because of his downfield inconsistency. He had been pretty decent when kept upright, but two bad misses to Van Jefferson and a bad pass to Grimes can't happen in big games. I think he's our best shot for the year, but if he wants to play next year, he has to earn it. This loss isn't all on him, I mean CJ McWilliams getting beat for TD's on 3rd and long because he won't look for the ball helped, but not making UGA defend more than 5 yards down the field hurt the run game and the screen game. When they move up, you have to be able to make them pay and we didn't.

Quick Hits:
  • Why we didn't commit to the run as much, I don't know. Perine averaged 4.4 and Scarlett 7.0 yards per carry. Scarlett had one carry after the first drive of the second half and that was a stop for no gain on the first play on the drive after Franks' fumble. NO carries in the 4th quarter.
  • Being outscored 27-0 in the first quarter of the past 4 games is awful. Something needs to be done about the slow starts.
  • That last 3rd and 1 in the first half, if we get it, UGA probably doesn't have time to drive for the field goal and figure out how to beat our D. We had been shutting them down until this point.
  • Also, speaking of superstition, Rayshad Jackson keeps the we lose when our players run their mouths before the game streak alive.
  • We score, go ahead, and then we don't kick it for a touchback. Why give any opportunity for momentum?
  • Make no mistake, we played for a FG after the PI call on Jones' throw. Screen for no gain, Centered it with a Franks run, and then ran a dive on 3rd and 6 or 7.
Well, in my season preview, I said we'd probably lose to UGA or #failstate and we have done that. I thought we had a good shot at this one and we did for 3 quarters. Turnovers hurt us early and defensive injuries/suspensions (Stewart) hurt us late. Great job by Georgia coaches to recognize a liability in McWilliams and go after him all day. Also, watch Fromm, took almost no time to throw on most reads, which limits our pass rush. Congrats to them, next year we will take this.

On to Mizzou, who doesn't have a conference win.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Just wear these weird jersey combinations against teams like Idaho, and we’ll never lose in them. Lol

Actually, that's been my thinking as well. Maybe the opener to crate some buzz, or possibly VU or one of the lesser teams on the schedule. We still get to give the players and recruits the "style" element, but don't risk losing in them and having fan unrest. Win-win, imo. Plus it would garner attention on a week that otherwise would go almost unnoticed.

I just don't see any reason to add a distraction to a big game week. If we need a helmet or uniform change to get jacked for uga/ut/fsu/Ala/etc, there's something very wrong.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
For our next away game at Idaho?

:tard:
Actually the home team decides what jersey combination they want to wear. Why LSU usually goes white tops at home. Spurrier had us in white tops one year against LSU at home as well.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Actually the home team decides what jersey combination they want to wear. Why LSU usually goes white tops at home. Spurrier had us in white tops one year against LSU at home as well.
Sorry, not true. LSU had some kind of waiver to wear whites at home if the away team agrees.

Some rumors, from LSU forum, that SEC rule requires the other team to agree, but I can't find either.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Only time LSU tries to wear purple at home is on their homecoming date, FWIW.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Sorry, not true. LSU had some kind of waiver to wear whites at home if the away team agrees.

Some rumors, from LSU forum, that SEC rule requires the other team to agree, but I can't find either.

I just know Spurrier did it to them in like the late '90s. Remember him saying he wondered why we always had to wear blue tops on the road in Baton Rouge, then we were wearing the white tops against them at home the next year. LOL

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I just don't see any reason to add a distraction to a big game week.
Do you honestly think different uniforms are a "distraction" to the team? You know, the guys that are actually on the field? They love it. Who cares what the fans think. The uniforms have no impact on the game, no matter how much hand wringing is done by idiots like us.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If the uniforms have an impact on the players and game, we've got bigger problems than we can handle.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
To the topic of white helmets---I'm an older Gator fan and still believe in such things as tradition. We shouldn't be a "gimmick" school like those that change uni colors, uni/helmet combos, etc constantly. We should be proud of the same orange helmet w/script Gators on it like we've used since 1979--one of the oldest running color schemes and helmet design in college football!!! It is one of THE most recognized helmets in college football--ANY fan from any school could turn on a game with Gators playing and instantly recognize it is the University of Florida.

That is "branding" in textbook terms and we are highly successful at it. Yet some folks want to change things even though....it is working just fine. The traditional colors don't help us to win or lose ballgames(nor does new color changes), but the branding & traditional colors do bring us the attention a football team works for and has for decades now. Just to appease the players or draw recruits is not good enough reason....in my opinion...to tinker with color/uni changes. These players should understand what tradition is, and that UF has a tradition and that they play for the school--not the other way around.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Just wear these weird jersey combinations against teams like Idaho, and we’ll never lose in them. Lol

After the big deal so many made this week, including Stricklin about how nothing has ever impacted games, etc. I wouldn't doubt this actually happening for some one to be like "see, I told you".

And funny story, away team has to approve it. At the Orlando Touchdown Club (the big College Football club in town), I heard Marc Daniels, the voice of UCF, talk about how Memphis pushed the game for months up there as a "white out" without UCF's approval, and UCF decided not to approve so at the last minute Memphis had to change all the marketing to "blue out" instead.

The uniforms have no impact on the game, no matter how much hand wringing is done by idiots like us.
If the uniforms have an impact on the players and game, we've got bigger problems than we can handle.

I agree, but I also know sports is superstition.

Nice to see the blame being put on the uniforms, where it belongs.

Did you even read the post or just the subject line and put a comment? Especially since I put all sorts of random things up there.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Do you honestly think different uniforms are a "distraction" to the team? You know, the guys that are actually on the field? They love it. Who cares what the fans think. The uniforms have no impact on the game, no matter how much hand wringing is done by idiots like us.

I honestly don’t know how much of a distraction it is. But I seem to recall Cleveland tweeting something earlier in the year about what we were wearing that week. So it’s obviously something they show some measure of attention to. But no, I’m not saying that uniform changes are the reason we lose. What I am saying is that it’s unnecessary and we almost always seem to embarrass ourselves when we go that route.

And ftr, one of Spurriers culture change initiatives was ditching the orange and going back to what he felt comfortable with. And to my knowledge, he never went back to orange jerseys. So he clearly did place value on the psychological element of things.

So my question is, what’s wrong with my idea? Do it for the smaller games and just show up for the big ones. Don’t see how that doesn’t solve the problem.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Truth puts together a comprehensive CFB analysis and it devolves into Kardashian babble.??

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yes I read it, I still place all blame on the uniforms.
Your avatar still sucks.

You must have designed that POS logo. There is no other plausible excuse. The only one worse than the 70s script.

Last edited:

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
We gimmicked all the way to an L. Be Gators, play like Gators. "OOOOOO..look at us, we're all in white. You gotta take us seriously now. We're capable of trucking you." Smh..

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb