Turn of the Page for Gators Football

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
I like some of the observations in this article.

http://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/miller-report-turn-the-page-for-the-florida-gators/

MILLER REPORT: Turn the page for the Florida Gators
By
Mark Miller
-
November 29, 2017

I believe I speak for many Gator fans when I say through decades of following the Gators, 2017 was the worst season I have endured as a fan.

The Florida football coaching job is a pressure cooker. That is not unique to Florida, there are several such positions throughout the college football landscape, but the number is limited and Florida challenges for the pinnacle of that group. There are coaches who lack both the ability to do the job well enough and to handle the pressure, like Ron Zook. There are coaches who can take the heat but not succeed in the job like Will Muschamp. Then there are those who are capable of getting the job done but unable to withstand the stress associated with the position at Florida, like Urban Meyer.

Quite frankly, Mac lacked the testicular fortitude to take control of his staff and ignore social media well enough to focus completely on the task at hand.

As much as some love to declare that this fan base is no worse than any other, the last five coaches have said differently, and I’ll take their word for it since they would know. It is not easy to be the head coach at Florida. Or Alabama. Or Ohio State. Or USC. Or the Dallas Cowboys for that matter. Coaching at the top level is never easy. Dan Mullen knows EXACTLY what he is getting into and he is walking directly into the storm willingly and eagerly. That says an awful lot about the man.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
lol Meyer did alright here he was just ready to move on after those 6 years. The rest of the coaches were just not ready for prime time. I think Mullen will at least be disciplined enough to stay on the task at hand and ignore the other stuff mostly. It will just come down to whether he is a real good head coach or not.

GatorShea

Feb 10, 2016
Meyer was able to climb to the mountain top with us but wasn't willing to travel through the hills and the valleys trying to win the Tour de France. He was able to get us to the top but unwilling to do what it takes to sustain it over a long period of time. I hope that Mullen can take the talent that really does want to come to Florida and put different groups of winners out there over a long haul.

GatorCatsi

¡No más tacos gratis!
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2016
Meyer did alright here he was just ready to move on after those 6 years.
He was "ready to move on," for a reason.

Meyer details exactly how low he went at Florida with HBO.

He says at his worst point in 2009, he was taking two sleeping pills, Ambien, along with a beer to fall asleep. Asked if he was depressed, Meyer says, "Absolutely."

He says he lost 37 points during that season, going from 217 pounds to 180 pounds. It all leads up to the night after the SEC title game loss when chest pains had Meyer believing he was having a heart attack.

"Mentally, I was broke."

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/09/ohio_states_urban_meyer_lost_3.html

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
I heard on sports radio this morning that the average tenure of SEC head football coaches with all the current vacancies is very low, something around 2.5 years. Saban, of course, is most tenured and if you take him out of the mix, the average falls even further. Coaching in the SEC is like a revolving door and this is everyplace, not just UF. Gator fans are passionate no doubt but I am not sure our revolving door would have been quite as busy if our late AD had put a little more effort in at least one of his last two hires. What are the odds of getting two duds back to back? That sir, is the sort of thing that drives fans crazy.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Urban was a hired gun that performed with excellence. Being a disciple of Woody and Earl Bruce he wanted to go home. Im glad he had Danny with him so long to learn some of his ways. I agree there are fan bases just as entitled and vociferous about their teams. With social media it is amped up exponentially these days. There is no going back. Every azzzhole with an opinion can scream it loud and long and the coaches can do nothing about it.
The sun's gonna come up each day no matter what the coach's wife says or whatever hand motion an assistant makes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.