Two-time defending division champ Florida fights public perception

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The 2006 team scored 21 points or fewer in 5 regular season games.

Offenses are a lot better now. I think that 2006 team despite its scoring troubles were like 20th or so in the country that year. I think offenses really started to take off the year after that. A&M ranked in the 30s in scoring last year and scored over 21 points in every game except Bama.

Last edited:

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
The only way the defense stays in at least the 20-30 is a more ball control offense. We lost too many pieces, too much youth.

I wonder why you say that. We have plenty of running backs, we have some receivers who can act as an alternative ball control option, and I at least hear our o-line has improved.

That should mean that a ball control offense is at least possible.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It isn't just offense. It's beating ranked teams. Why is that so difficult for some people to comprehend?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The only way the defense stays in at least the 20-30 is a more ball control offense. We lost too many pieces, too much youth.
Gotta agree here. The offensive line is gonna be the most experienced group we got. Best chance we got is to play like stanford.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
It isn't just offense. It's beating ranked teams. Why is that so difficult for some people to comprehend?

Not difficult for me, and I think it is also dominating those teams that we would like to think are inferior to us. Like say North Texas. We should be able to play the entire team in some of those wimp games instead of hanging on for four quarters.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You know, I think back to 1995, and how the team reacted to getting blownout by Nebraska. Everyone was pissed. The players talked about it in pretty much every interview, mentioned the embarrassment and how it motivated them in the offseason. It gave them rage innthe weightroom. Made them work harder in the film room.

After the Ugly loss under Meyer, it was the same. I think the coaches wrote it on the wall and made the players do sets corresponding to the final score. It burned them.

Remember when the east "championship" rings were discussed and some of our champion players mocked the team? Yeah, they understood winning and sure as fvkk wouldnt have been proud of getting blownout every three or four weeks.

I just dont see that with this staff. Butters is obviously a guy who is pretty comfortable with losing and not much affected by getting blownout. Its all kewl. And it appears to have rubbed off on the team. No one seems embarrassed at not even scoring a TD vs Clown Town in their careers or getting blown out by Bammer by 50, and only bc they didnt feel like scoring 80.

These guys want respect for their four loss seasons and for us to give them credit for a moral victory over Presbyterian... and a good quarter vs Bammer. That mentality will never win. Ever.

And yet, it is so kewl.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Stricklin is just towing the line, and will until it's time to break him off.
I have zero faith in this.

Nothing he has done suggests an attempt to upgrade the staff or an appreciation for what it takes to build a champion.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
I have a UF buddy who goes out on scientific vessels all the time - he's a Geology prof at Oregon State. He likes snacks too. :lol:

In oilfield production facilities north of the Arctic Circle and at the Arctic Ocean, snack rooms flush with all sorts of goodies are open 24/7. Gained 15 pounds in 8 weeks on first assignment there.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I know the players have to tow the line but Stricklin saying there is a lack of appreciation for what Mac has done is a joke. We only won the East with these horrid offenses the past 2 years under him because the rest of the division was a joke compared to most years.
I am not happy with the offense at all, if it were up to me heads would roll, but this idea that the east was so bad (which it has been) being the only reason we won doesn't satisfy me. I mean why didn't anyone else win it two years in a row? We have to give some credit to Mac and the team for that. No one rolled over for us to win it.

I just dont see that with this staff. Butters is obviously a guy who is pretty comfortable with losing and not much affected by getting blownout. Its all kewl. And it appears to have rubbed off on the team. No one seems embarrassed at not even scoring a TD vs Clown Town in their careers or getting blown out by Bammer by 50, and only bc they didnt feel like scoring 80.

These guys want respect for their four loss seasons and for us to give them credit for a moral victory over Presbyterian... and a good quarter vs Bammer. That mentality will never win. Ever.

And yet, it is so kewl.
This is a fair assessment Law. I think Mac is a good to above avg coach at best. I just want him to make us relevant again. Maybe I'm just so jaded from the Chump fiasco that I'm satisfied with being relevant at this point. My hope for Mac is that he rebuilds us enough that a great coach will be willing to come.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I mean why didn't anyone else win it two years in a row?
Lots of lulz. Seriously? Come on, Rev. Yes, another shytty team did the same thing. And, no, no one thought it meant a damn thing other than the SEC East sucks.

Back-to-Back-Easter-Division-Champions.jpg

And they too sold tshirts about it. Maybe it's the right thing to do if you are Mizzu, USCe or Cowbell.

fe3c99f238e307cee34c29e1259d0d2c.jpg

Last edited:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I am watching SEC Now and Mac is on there with two Eastern Division trophies. They are interviewing him and you'd think we won the SEC and those Bama games never happened.

I've never seen winning the East so celebrated as it is currently. I don't know when this originally aired but it seems like we are just happy to get to ATL. He has that stupid goatee and no socks on.

They are talking about his staff being the 1st to get to ATL in their first two years on the job. He said "that's purty kewl"...no lie. SMH

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
LOL @Law. I do agree. At the same time I guess I'm so desperate to be removed from 4-8. I'll take it.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Lots of lulz. Seriously? Come on, Rev. Yes, another shytty team did the same thing. And, no, no one thought it meant a damn thing other than the SEC East sucks.

Back-to-Back-Easter-Division-Champions.jpg

And they too sold tshirts about it. Maybe it's the right thing to do if you are Mizzu, USCe or Cowbell.

fe3c99f238e307cee34c29e1259d0d2c.jpg

This is exactly why NO ONE should be pounding their chests about "winning" the East. Did anyone think that Missouri was about to have some sort of breakthrough to national prominence when they won the East two years in a row? Hell no. So why are we expecting it? If we had not gotten blown out 7 times in 2 years and had an offense ranked in the upper half of the SEC, and/or had a QB with a pulse....maybe I could see expectations. But I gotta agree w/ Law. Why aren't these guys talking about the blowouts and motivation, etc? It's like they've accepted that it's okay to get blown out 4 times a year if you win the other 8 games. How the mighty have fallen....

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Did anyone think that Missouri was about to have some sort of breakthrough to national prominence when they won the East two years in a row?

The talking heads sure did... not that any of us believed them...

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I am not happy with the offense at all, if it were up to me heads would roll, but this idea that the east was so bad (which it has been) being the only reason we won doesn't satisfy me. I mean why didn't anyone else win it two years in a row? We have to give some credit to Mac and the team for that. No one rolled over for us to win it.

This is a fair assessment Law. I think Mac is a good to above avg coach at best. I just want him to make us relevant again. Maybe I'm just so jaded from the Chump fiasco that I'm satisfied with being relevant at this point. My hope for Mac is that he rebuilds us enough that a great coach will be willing to come.

I seem to remember somehow beating LSU even after they forced us to play at their place. And if Mac can rebuild us perhaps he can develop into a great coach negating the need and price of once again changing coaches. One can always hope, but improvement is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.