UCF has a coach, quarterback and team on the rise. Should we go after Scott Frost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Every one of these threads includes a comment or three about the need for a home-run hire. I laugh. It's delusionary. There are none. Home-run hires are guys you feel 100% certain you could plug in and go out and immediately compete for a championship. Problem is, none of the home-run hires -- Saban, Meyer, Swinney -- is going anywhere.

Kelly, Stoops and maybe Gundy are the only guys you could conceive of adding to that elite group and yet there are myriad reasons why none of them is a practical choice.

That leaves a slew of hot prospects and also-rans, all heaped in a speculative pile.

I can think of maybe one UF home-run hire in my lifetime -- Spurrier -- and even then there were people who doubted his discipline and commitment. As much as some of you will argue in hindsight, Meyer was not a home-run hire. He was a young up-and-comer no different than Frost. We rolled the dice and won.

It'll probably end up that way again.

You're right '78. It is delusional to think you are going to hire a sure thing. They are usually not home run hires when they are hired but they become home run hires after they are at a place for awhile, win some championships and they become kings of college football. Then they are not going anywhere else but stay where they are and they build a statue of them.

I think Bear Bryant after winning an SEC title at Kentucky and how he turned Texas A&M around was a home run hire when Alabama, his alma mater, hired him to come home. Saban was a home run hire because he had won a national championship at LSU and you knew with the resources and tradition Alabama had that Saban could win a national championship there if he could do it at LSU.

Even some of the kingpins are necessarily home run hires. Take Bobby Bowden one of the winningest coaches in college football. But would he have had the same success if he had left FSU and gone to Alabama which he always said was his dream job. I don't know.

When Spurrier was hired at UF he was a good fit for UF, but, as you say Spurrier had his doubters. He was a great fit for UF, but no one could have foreseen the great success he would turn out to have.

Meyer was a home run hire when he went to Ohio State although there were some who were waiting to see if he had got his anxiety issues under control. He had won the 2 national championships at Florida, he was going to a school that had the tradition and resources to win a national championship, and he was going back to his home state. But when Meyer came to UF he had great potential but things didn't look so good after he got curb stomped the first time he took the Gators to Tuscaloosa.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You're right '78. It is delusional to think you are going to hire a sure thing. They are usually not home run hires when they are hired but they become home run hires after they are at a place for awhile, win some championships and they become kings of college football. Then they are not going anywhere else but stay where they are and they build a statue of them.

I think Bear Bryant after winning an SEC title at Kentucky and how he turned Texas A&M around was a home run hire when Alabama, his alma mater, hired him to come home. Saban was a home run hire because he had won a national championship at LSU and you knew with the resources and tradition Alabama had that Saban could win a national championship there if he could do it at LSU.

Even some of the kingpins are necessarily home run hires. Take Bobby Bowden one of the winningest coaches in college football. But would he have had the same success if he had left FSU and gone to Alabama which he always said was his dream job. I don't know.

When Spurrier was hired at UF he was a good fit for UF, but, as you say Spurrier had his doubters. He was a great fit for UF, but no one could have foreseen the great success he would turn out to have.

Meyer was a home run hire when he went to Ohio State although there were some who were waiting to see if he had got his anxiety issues under control. He had won the 2 national championships at Florida, he was going to a school that had the tradition and resources to win a national championship, and he was going back to his home state. But when Meyer came to UF he had great potential but things didn't look so good after he got curb stomped the first time he took the Gators to Tuscaloosa.

Meyer cried during the post-game presser in Tuscaloosa. I remember thinking, either this guy is too wrapped up in his work or he's got one helluva theatrical streak. Turned out he was a little of each.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
For all you Frost Fan Boys (Frosty boys?).
https://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2017/10/18/16496728/that-is-not-the-scout-qb

It’s sometimes funny when coaches suit up like players. Ha-ha, there’s Bo Pelini in a uniform, looking like he could play two snaps before tearing something very important in his lower body. Hee-hee, there’s Sylvester Croom, lined up at defensive tackle in a Mississippi State practice in 2006, wearing a red cross jersey for laughs, and inspiring one of the more droll sequences of sentences in the history of daily practice reports.

Croom took a turn with the offensive line, his own old playing job, and ran a snap ‘blocking' Royce Blackledge. The starting center did not take advantage of the situation.

Normally, putting a washed, out-of-shape coach in uniform is a joke. Scott Frost is not a joke. Scott Frost is a former option QB at Nebraska. He was made in a lab, and then sent to another lab after Tom Osborne judged the first lab’s work to be lacking, and then so on and so on until Frost became the starter by burning down the lab and eating everyone in it. (That’s how Nebraska knew he was ready.)

He ran a 4.61 in college. That would be fast but not astronomically fast if he didn’t weigh 220 pounds as a starter at Nebraska, stand 6’3”, and be nursing the aftereffects of a serious knee injury suffered in high school. The knee injury was Thor’s’ way of keeping him humble. Thor is his uncle. It was cool, and Scott accepted it.

Even after that injury, Frost was capable of squatting 470 pounds as a quarterback. To be honest, he’s probably not much off that now. According to his players, he’s been seen in the weight room at UCF power cleaning 245 with ease and benching somewhere around 300 pounds for reps. According to a quick look at him, he looks like a Norwegian UDT diver who in his spare time hunts caribou with a spear.

Those are numbers and subjective mythical praise. If that isn’t enough to convince someone of Scott Frost’s caribou-wrestlin’ bonafides, please remember September 3rd, 2009. Chip Kelly’s first game as head coach at Oregon came against Boise State, ending in a disastrous 19-8 loss for the Ducks, and in a postgame discussion between Boise State defensive lineman Byron Hout and Oregon running back Legarrette Blount. Hout started the conversation; Blount ended it by cracking Hout in the jaw, knocking him slackjawed and unconscious in a single—let’s be honest here—breathtaking jab.

What man was capable of picking up Legarrette Blount and carrying away from the field, if not at time literally off that field?

legarrette_blount_restrained.jpg

AM I BEING DETAINED oh wait yes i am okay that’s fine please put me down when we get to the locker room
That’d be 2009’s wide receivers coach for the Oregon Ducks, Scott Frost, picking up LeGarrette Blount and hauling him off the field like a parent carrying a tantruming child out of the toy section.

Now watch Frost carrying the ball with both hands in that video from UCF practice and jabbing them in the air with each step. Get your terminology right, son. Don’t tell him he’s playing “scout” QB unless you want to catch one of those elbows in the head, and don’t for a second think he won’t give you one. For bonus points, suggest to him that the 1997 Michigan team would have beaten the 1997 Nebraska team. Do it! See what happens, we bet it will be fun.*

*Incredibly quick and violent

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Meyer cried during the post-game presser in Tuscaloosa. I remember thinking, either this guy is too wrapped up in his work or he's got one helluva theatrical streak. Turned out he was a little of each.

It was actually the LSU game, in Baton Rouge. We forced 5 turnovers and managed 205 yards of total offense and lost.... He cried at the presser. I remember calling one of my buddies and said, "THIS MOTHERF*%*# is CRYING!!!"

That was when, during the bye week, he changed up the offense (a little) by adding the fullback (Latsko) and we somehow beat UGA....

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
It was actually the LSU game, in Baton Rouge.
Yes, it was LSU. I was watching the presser with oxking. I can still remember my dad blurting out "he's not going to cry, is he?" Yes, he sure was. We had no idea what to think of it, or whether it was good or bad.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Swonky, I watched that video all the way to the end. Lord they let Blount bash that guy 4 straight times. That's just wrong. :confused:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
There is no crying in Football. Unless your name is Tim Tebow and you leave 110% on the field, in the weight room, and in life.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
I think until UCF gets into a P5 conference, if ever, he will always be a threat to leave for the right job. Maybe he avoids dumpster fires, but if a big boy comes calling he's gonna leave. Coaches want to win National Titles if they are good and UCF just isn't going to get him there right now unless a fluke happens.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

.... 'andyet' frost doesn't belong that far south in Florida -- :facepalm:- what am I saying, McNuss has taken the entirety of Florida football south.

Until a school comes calling to give him and his staff a huge upgrade in salary.

.... 'andyet' UF football needs a huge upgrade. Heck, this bye-week, Stricklin should be out recruiting.Who can root for a McNuss' football team -- they have seditiously adulterated this Gator team so much?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Until a school comes calling to give him and his staff a huge upgrade in salary.

Bianchi is f'ing crazy if he thinks Frost is staying there long-term. He can "keep the band together" at his next stop. It's pretty simple:

"He guys. I just got offered $4.5 million by this other school. The salary pool for assistants is more than double what it is here. I want all of you to come with me. Who's in?"

Such a stupid article by a washed up writer.

Sure, he's not taking the opening at an Ole Miss, Wake Forest, or Indiana....but Frost is gone the SECOND a big-name P5 school comes calling.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Bianchi has gone to tremendous lengths to cultivate the image of a troll. The fallout is readers often don't know whether to believe you or not. The argument here for Frost staying doesn't hold water with me.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The Knights are averaging 50.6 points and 547.2 yards per game....maybe that's too much offense for UF...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator