UCF has a coach, quarterback and team on the rise. Should we go after Scott Frost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The Knights are averaging 50.6 points and 547.2 yards per game....maybe that's too much offense for UF...

Yep. Just imagine if he came in and those numbers went down 20% against the "mighty" SEC defenses....he'd still average over 40ppg and well over 400ypg.....

But there are posters who think this is a reach and we should go for the "home run hire"...

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
He was part of Chip Kelly's corrupt coaching staff, so he’s eliminated. Too bad.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yep. Just imagine if he came in and those numbers went down 20% against the "mighty" SEC defenses....he'd still average over 40ppg and well over 400ypg.....

But there are posters who think this is a reach and we should go for the "home run hire"...
And others that believe butters should be given a 4th year. Hmm....give butters a 4th year and miss out on a guy like this and let him go to a rival or fire butters and and get a head start on getting him here...that's a tough one

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
If and when UCF loses, that train will crash and there will be a lot of "we didn't want him anyway" posts.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
So what time is UCF playing tomoro? I'd like to see our next coach in action.

They're playing right down the road from me, in Annapolis. I'll try to swing by and bring a "Come to UF, Scott!!" sign or some sh*t.

FlGator19382

Oct 7, 2017

I would take 30 ppg at this point, hell we can barely break 25.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
How Scott Frost opened up UCF’s playbook and became the hottest name in college football coaching
In just his second season, the former Nebraska QB and Chip Kelly assistant is steamrolling defenses. Let’s talk to him about it and take a look at how it works.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/10/23/16501428/scott-frost-ucf-coach-offense

UCF head coach Scott Frost is a name you should probably get used to hearing, this season and beyond. After inheriting an 0-12 UCF and getting the Knights to a bowl, Frost’s Year 2 team is 6-0 and the current favorite for the New Year’s Six non-power bid.

There’s also the coaching carousel, where he might be the closest thing to this year’s version of a Tom Herman, especially if Mike Riley’s out at Nebraska.

Through six games, the Knights are top-three in opponent-adjusted efficiency, explosiveness, and drive-finishing. They lead the nation in points per game with 47.3. QB McKenzie Milton, who started for Frost as a freshman in 2016 as a 5’11 former Hawaiian three-star, is No. 1 among all QBs in yards per play. They’ve comfortably beaten the AAC West’s two best teams, Memphis and Navy, and blown out Maryland on the road.

“We showed flashes of it at times [in Year 1], but we weren’t consistent enough to have quite the level of playmakers we have now,” Frost said in an interview with SB Nation. “I don’t think we were good enough up front to do a lot of the things we wanted to do. Every single position on our offense is ahead of where it was last year, and that usually spells good things.”

Frost got off the Oregon ship right before things capsized under Mark Helfrich. But Frost’s coaching lineage is long.
As a player in the mid-1990s, he led Nebraska to an 11-2 1996 that was seen as a disappointment. As a senior in 1997, Frost led the Huskers back to the promised land, splitting the national championship with Michigan. He was a mobile threat who led a devastating option attack, rushing for 1,024 yards as well as throwing for 1,237.

It was the culmination of a homecoming for the Wood River, Neb. native. While Frost’s college career ended in Husker red, it didn’t begin there. Frost initially spurned his hometown program and went to Stanford. After two years, he transferred to Lincoln. Throughout his career in college and the NFL, he played for Bill Walsh, Tom Osborne, Bill Parcells, Mike Tomlin, and Jon Gruden.

Despite all of his influences, it’s the option offense that is his greatest love.
“I’ve rooted for option teams my whole life because of my background,” Frost said. “If we’re not playing Navy, I’m rooting for ’em, and Air Force and Georgia Tech. There’s a beauty to that offense that I respect and admire.”

He proved that by playing option QB for UCF during Navy prep:

Who is that under center? pic.twitter.com/ECoiHFdYCw

— Gerrod Lambrecht (@GerrodLambrecht) October 17, 2017
But Frost also reveres former boss Chip Kelly.

“I don’t think Chip Kelly gets enough credit for affecting college football,” Frost said. “You look back at when he started this offense. Everyone else was running something that looked more pro-style. Now, you look around the country and everyone’s running a version of spread. A lot of them are tempo, and a lot of the schemes that we are running back in ’07, ’08, and ’09, everybody’s running.”

So what makes his UCF offense special?
The run-first offense (40 runs to 28 passes per game, so far this season) starts with the new-school option, out of the shotgun. Here, it’s got a dive man, a pitch man, and a QB triggering the whole thing.

It’s a distribution-heavy offense that gets a lot of people involved.
That’s an option philosophy, taken to the extreme.

Despite ranking No. 6 in total yardage, no individual Knight is averaging more than 73 yards either rushing or receiving.

Sixteen players have caught passes, more than Washington State or any of the country’s other eight most passing-friendly offenses. And 13 Knights have carries, a longer list than even Georgia Tech’s.

In 692 plays over eight games, Syracuse has used 17 different ball-carriers. In 406 plays, the Knights have used 23.

The Knights mix it up on the offensive line as well.
In Year 1 at UCF, it was about nailing the basics.

“We ran a lot of inside zone last year and had limited success,” Frost said. “I think going into this year with our guys understanding schemes and everything better, we wanted to mix it up a lot more. The guys have done a good job with more plays on the call sheet every week.”

There’s still plenty of zone blocking ...

... but where Frost’s offense gets fun is in the varying ways he pulls offensive linemen. Frost’s ground attack is no longer just inside zone. It’s varied and deadly.

Here’s a backside guard (No. 73 in the middle, behind where the ball’s going) pulling. Simple enough, right? Just a basic power play.

OK, well here’s a play-side guard (No. 79 on the right, heading where the ball is actually going) pulling.

Here are two examples of backside tackles pulling, one of which is on UCF’s favored QB run play. Against Maryland, Milton ripped this run off for a huge gain. Watch the left tackle here:

And the right tackle here:

So yeah, the Knights might pull almost the entire offensive line over the course of a few plays.

Here are the Knights running a buck sweep, à la Gus Malzahn’s Auburn, with two pulling guards. Kelly’s buck sweep often had a guard and a center pulling.

Frost credits his offensive line coach, Greg Austin, with getting the offensive line to move in space as it does.

The Knights aren’t always up-tempo. They’re pretty average in plays per game.
But when they want to put the hammer down, they can get snaps off with 28 seconds left on the play clock, to keep a defense on its heels. They also have a quick passing game that uses some trickery, like this group cut block ....

... and packaged plays. Here, a zone read mixed with a bubble screen to the bottom of the screen.

The offensive line doesn’t just get tricky in the running game. This is slide protection, with the line moving en masse in one direction as a running back fills in on the backside. But RB Jawon Hamilton pivots and catches a pass for a first down as a pass-rushing defender barrels past him.

UCF weaponizes all those pulling linemen in the passing game, too, to take deep shots. Having guards pull helps sell play action; watch the linebackers run toward the line here:

The flashes of last season are now consistent performance midway through Year 2.
Where will Frost be for Year 3 as a head coach? Who knows. UCF is already fighting to keep him, announcing it’s looking to raise an extra $1.5 million per year for football.

For now, it’s all about 2017.

“Last year at times, we struggled with our basic stuff, and some of the trickier things didn’t work as well because we were behind the chains and we were putting pressure on our defense,” Frost said. “We’re getting more yards on first downs, moving the ball, and getting more reps and more snaps. That allows us to do more of the things we have designed to beat defenses.”

He’s a coach with a long list of influences already, and he’s not done there, either.

“We have to keep evolving. We’re coming up with new things all the time and looking at the landscape of what other people are doing and being successful with and trying to put the right formula together.”

He proved that by playing option QB for UCF during Navy prep:

Who is that under center?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Nebraska? Tennessee? Oregon State? Scott Frost’s friends think he’d be perfect fit in Power 5

https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/nebraska-tennessee-oregon-scott-frost-power-5-central-florida

Jeremiah Johnson doesn’t know. And if he does know, he ain’t telling.

You ask anyway.

“Frosty’s big thing,” says Johnson, the defensive coordinator at Northern Iowa and an old running mate of Nebraska alum/favorite son/alleged coaching target Scott Frost, “and he’s said it publicly and he’s said it privately, is that, ‘Sometimes, people get in too big a hurry to go places when they’ve got it pretty good where they’re at.’

“Do I think he would love to be at Nebraska? Sure, everybody wants to go home, right? But if he doesn’t think the timing of that whole thing is right, maybe it’s not right. I don’t know. It’s not fair for me to say.”

Johnson goes back more than a decade with Frosty. They both were hired by UNI coach Mark Farley before the 2007 season: Johnson, from Division III Loras (Iowa) College, to serve as secondary coach and video coordinator; Frost, the former Nebraska quarterback, from Kansas State, where he’d worked as a graduate assistant, as the Panthers’ linebackers coach.

“What I always look for in guys is, ‘Are they great teachers?’ ” Farley recalls. “But as soon as [Frost] got on the board, and he started talking football, and he started talking spots, and he was detailing how to play the game, and the words that he said, and how it came out, you could see he was a great teacher. You could see all he needed was a great opportunity to get it done.”

‘He can connect with anybody’
In only his second season as a head coach, Frost’s Central Florida side is 6-0 for the first time in school history. The Knights are ranked 18th in the country and host Austin Peay this weekend as one of the most likely suitors for the Group of Five’s New Year’s Six bowl slot. His alma mater is 3-4 after seven games for the second time in three seasons. The Cornhuskers are coming off their worst defeat at home to a league opponent since 1949, and visit Purdue (3-4) this weekend as 6-point underdogs.

“You’re very prideful of it, and you’re happy for him,” says Farley, who’s had a number of fast-risers pass through his staff since his arrival at Cedar Falls in 2001, including Indiana linebackers coach William Inge, a former Panthers co-defensive coordinator. “It’s kind of neat to see it. His first year here and then his second year here, basically, all he needed was an opportunity.”

But it’s the next opportunity — Nebraska? Tennessee? Oregon State? — that has the college football world buzzing.

UCF athletic director Danny White recently announced the formation of a “Football Excellence Fund,” a fancy name for passing the hat around to donors to try and bump up assistant coaches pay — a major hurdle for non-majors — and try to entice Frost, who recently got a salary bump to roughly $2 million per year, to stick around. CBS Sports’ Dennis Dodd mentioned in his weekly program power rankings Monday that he’d heard that the 42-year-old Frost, who quarterbacked the Cornhuskers’ last national championship squad in 1997, “would most likely go to Nebraska if offered.”

Meanwhile, Tony Dungy thinks Dodd’s sources are full of hooey:

Nebraska missed its opportunity to hire Frost. Just as several Power 5 teams did. They are building something special at @UCF_Football https://t.co/9PbnE5dpHs

— Tony Dungy (@TonyDungy) October 17, 2017

Regardless, someone is going to roll up the Brink’s truck soon and dump the load at Frost’s feet. A Power 5 job for the Wood River, Neb., native isn’t an if anymore — it’s a question of when and where.

“[It’s] because of how he connects to players,” Farley says. “It’s all about connections to players. He’s at that stage in his life where he’s worked for some tremendous people and played for some tremendous people. So he’s got experience offensively and defensively as a player … he can relate to alumni and relate with boosters. He’s the whole package.”

“He’s sharp, now — Frosty is one of the smartest people I’ve ever met in my whole life,” Johnson laughs. “I guess [his rise] is not that surprising to me, because he’s Frosty.

“People like Scott. He can talk to anybody. He can connect with anybody. And I think the thing that Scott does that always impressed me was, he has a way to make everybody feel important. You know what I mean?

“I think it’s genuine. I think he’s a genuine guy that can [relate to] the people that he comes in contact with … I don’t think it’s hard anymore for recruits and parents to find a phony, and I think Scott’s very real and very genuine.”

During Frost’s two years on the UNI staff — 2007 and 2008 — the Panthers won conference titles. Farley still chuckles when he thinks about the A-list references on Frost’s resume — including one in particular who made it a point to call and recommend his former prodigy.

“I’ll never forget when coach [Tom] Osborne called me about him,” Farley laughs. “I was just sitting in a chair in the middle of the summer. He called up and said, ‘Mark, this is Tom Osborne.’

“And I remember sitting up in my chair. I remember sitting up in my chair real straight.”

In his second season, Frost was elevated to co-defensive coordinator; the Panthers finished among the FCS top 25 in total defense that fall and reached the national semifinals.

“I think it would be a pretty cool deal if it happened. But that’s way over my pay grade.”

— Northern Iowa defensive coordinator Jeremiah Johnson on Scott Frost returning to Nebraska

“He understood the game — he could watch some film one time and he knew what they were doing,” Johnson says. “Where the rest of us, we have to watch a couple times before we figure it out.

“In the spring, I sat in his room and tried to learn as much as I could from him when he had his position meetings. He relates to kids, the way that he could explain things obviously made sense. And the kids understood and the kids played hard for him.”

And if explaining and telling didn’t do the trick, Frost, who threw for 18 scores and ran for 28 more as the Huskers’ starting signal caller, wasn’t averse to showing in a pinch. Farley recalled his young coach expressing frustration during one late November practice as the scout team struggled to replicate the pace of New Hampshire’s high-octane offense.

“I remember Scott kind of jumping in right there and he took over the quarterback [role] and he said, ‘This isn’t going fast enough,’ and he took over and played quarterback that day,” Farley says.

“But that’s the kind of competitor he was. He jumped in and took over. And players can respond to that and players can respect that, and that’s what stood out.”

‘Tom Osborne is his greatest mentor besides his folks’
He translates. Defense. Offense. Staff. Big school. Little school. Spread. Option. Pro style. Boosters. Alumni. Faculty.

The whole package is out there for somebody, somewhere, to unwrap.

And while we’re on the subject of packages, the UNI assistant offers up this story: When Frost was getting ready to move across country to join Chip Kelly’s staff at Oregon, Johnson’s wife, Nicki, was about three months away from delivering their firstborn.

Before he left, Frost presented the Johnsons with a gift box.

“This is for your child,” he told them.

“Frosty bought us a Wii for the kids,” Johnson says with a laugh. “Which we still have today, by the way.”

Scott Frost doesn’t forget a friend.

Or his roots.

“The way that Scott and I always talked about it, Tom Osborne is his greatest mentor besides his folks,” Johnson says. “And he always spoke very, very highly of coach Osborne and obviously of the experience that he had at Nebraska. And it’s amazing that he played for Bill Walsh [at Stanford], too — there’s not very many people in the world that played for Bill Walsh and Tom Osborne, and he’s one of them.

“I know he has an extremely high affinity for Lincoln and for the University of Nebraska and for the football program. And I think it would be a pretty cool deal if it happened. But that’s way over my pay grade.”

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Corral running Frost's offense with our backs could be a pretty fun thing to watch. This is just a guess, but I think it might be a little more entertaining than McChump ball.

Frosty the Go-Man! It's Go Time! :bananadance2:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Must suck to be a Knight. They get a good coach and anybody that wants him can afford to take him away.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
haven't you heard it's now in the UF bylaws no football offense that averages over 350 ypg and 2tds is allowed
It is apparently etched in stone. Luckily there are many incompetent offensive coaches on our "short lists".

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Sad to say, the more I read and the more I hear I don't think Frost would want the Florida job even if it became available. Just my intuition. I don't think he sees it as worth the move from what he's got going at UCF right now. Specially when he knows that there are going to be other high paying jobs waiting for him elsewhere when he's ready. Either way, it's a moot point because with UF's track record as of late there's no way that they would do something that makes so much sense like getting rid of a lame duck coach for one who has so much promise.
:sadnanner:

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Haven't watched UCF this year. Do they run a QB option offense?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Corral running Frost's offense with our backs could be a pretty fun thing to watch. This is just a guess, but I think it might be a little more entertaining than McChump ball.

Frosty the Go-Man! It's Go Time! :bananadance2:
Lol.... Corral decommits IMMEDIATELY if we hire this guy.

He isnt going anywhere tonrun the fvkking option.

You guys are hilarious. We dont have an option QB on the roster. Maybe we get lucky and Zaire gets another year.... or Treon transfers back.

emr25

Nov 18, 2015
Lol.... Corral decommits IMMEDIATELY if we hire this guy.

He isnt going anywhere tonrun the fvkking option.

You guys are hilarious. We dont have an option QB on the roster. Maybe we get lucky and Zaire gets another year.... or Treon transfers back.

If we hired Frost in time, maybe Justin Fields is back in the picture? Might be more appealing to him than sitting behind Fromm / Eason in a pro-style, run first offense?

GatorGriff

May 29, 2015
Sad to say, the more I read and the more I hear I don't think Frost would want the Florida job even if it became available. Just my intuition. I don't think he sees it as worth the move from what he's got going at UCF right now. Specially when he knows that there are going to be other high paying jobs waiting for him elsewhere when he's ready. Either way, it's a moot point because with UF's track record as of late there's no way that they would do something that makes so much sense like getting rid of a lame duck coach for one who has so much promise.
:sadnanner:
I think he takes it offered. There's no way he says no to $5 mil a year from Florida to stay at UCF. The question is would he take it over Nebraska? I could see it being similar to Urban deciding between us and Notre Dame. I would put it at 50-50. But I agree, this is a moot point because I don't think we act fast enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.