UCLA waxed by Colorado; drops to 0-4

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
270 total yards for UCLA against the Fresno state juggernaut. It's possible that Chip Kelly has a winless season.

"No one feels sorry for you," UCLA coach Chip Kelly said. "We knew this was a really good football team coming in. We knew that it's one of the best teams in the Mountain West and we had to be prepared to play, and obviously they did a better job."

Fresno State vs. UCLA - Box Score - September 15, 2018 - ESPN

Discuss.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I am thankful we do not have Chip Kelly. I know you were in his camp OX, but he is not a total coach to me. He only cares about running as many offensive plays possible without regard to how it might affect the other aspects of his team. I know UCLA is low on talent and it is not all Chip's fault they are awful, but am thankful he is 3000 miles away. Does not mean I am in the Cousin Eddie camp, but at least Cousin Eddie sometimes fakes like he he is a total head coach. Chip makes no bones about his desires.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Chip Kelly just really seems to me to be a lazy coach. I would have been excited to have him back during the search but I think we really dodged a bullet. We know UF is going to be a road to fix. Kelly's to me, seems like one he'll bolt or be gone. That potentially would make it an even bigger problem.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Same as above - I think their biggest issue is they are recruiting about like a mountain west team right now. I wanted him hired but I am starting to think we dodged a bullet here and he just doesn't have the passion to do his job anymore.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I thought it was important to get buzz back around the program. One major issue with Dan Mullen is he brought absolutely no buzz with him. He excited no one. Perhaps in the long run he was best for the program, I guess we'll see.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Dan had a great mentor in Urban for a long time and he did all his HC ojt on somebody else's nickel. He is down to earth and admits he is learning everyday too.

We could have done a hell of a lot worse, imo.

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
I wanted chip too. It seems like a positive he didn’t come - in looking at our team we simply don’t have the players for his system. Just about nobody can win much with this bunch mac left, and mullin frost Kelly Taggart etc have shown they don’t have a magic formula. Hell this group is not even recruiting great. The next Kirby smart is out there problem is nobody knows who it is.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I thought it was important to get buzz back around the program. One major issue with Dan Mullen is he brought absolutely no buzz with him. He excited no one. Perhaps in the long run he was best for the program, I guess we'll see.

I get it and you're spot on. Mullen is not a WOW hire. But I will say this....he is happy to be here, engaged, and it does appear that we are getting some better coaching and discipline. Not had that in a long time. I will be more willing to give him time as opposed to Muschump and MacNussy. They never seemed to get it or want it. Not saying that he will be, but Mulllen could be a Dabo type of hire. Give it some time and lets see. Now if he loses the team or becomes a dumpster fire, that'll change. It's really up to Mullen and I think he gets it. Fingers crossed.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You bring buzz or you create it on your own. Guess who gets the greater appreciation in the end?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
UCLA killed by Colorado last night 38-14. Their offense continues to sputter.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Winning brings "Buzz" to a program, not gimmicks!

ie: Michigan

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Seems pretty clear he is not committed and at this point you have to wonder if he has the staff assembled to build a team.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
You have to wonder what the heck was CK thinking. I mean he had this halo around him when he left Oregon that put him at possibly near elite status with a record of 46-7. He had sputtered at the NFL but then went on to have a cushy job at ESPN and was widely respected.

Now he is off to a 0-4 start, and he is not showing ANY effort at all. His recruiting looks to be in shambles, ranked at 81 so far. Just for comparison, last year their class was ranked 19.

If he thought he wants to court the NFL again, why would he think he could do that with this kind of performance?

We did not just dodge a bullet with him, we dodged a cruise missile. Puts Mullen in perspective.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
After seeing kelly and frost start off at a combined 0-7, I'm starting to wonder if our curse is broken.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Kelly certainly isn't recruiting, and the team has shown almost no improvement through 4 weeks, so what exactly is he doing out there? Being a bad coach is one thing (Muschamp), being lazy is another (Butters). Is he just going to collect his millions and mail it in?

I know he wants to get back to the NFL, but this sure isn't the way to do it. I figured he would at least fake enthusiasm for a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.