UF 2nd best rushing unit...in the nation?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
You understand RB group ranking doesn't necessarily mean rushing yardage ranking will be the same? Perhaps he's accounting for the OLine being more experienced and hopefully stronger after an off-season in the weight room? Perhaps he's also accounting for a better QB this year making the passing game an actual threat, thereby forcing safeties out the box and opening up the running lanes some? More factors affect the run game than just the position group ranking of your RBs.

I understand that the original post implied that we'd have the #2 RB group in the COUNTRY....when in fact, he said we'd be 6th....IN THE CONFERENCE!!!

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I understand that the original post implied that we'd have the #2 RB group in the COUNTRY....when in fact, he said we'd be 6th....IN THE CONFERENCE!!!

I guess we read the threat title differently. To me 2nd best rushing unit, means the entire offensive "unit" while running the ball. You take it to mean just the RBs, and IMO, they're way wrong about our RBs. Scarlett, Perine & Thompson if he can hold onto the damn ball will be a great RB group this year. Far better than 6th in the SEC imo. I'm guessing they'll have a combined rushing total yards that will be in the top 1-2 in the SEC and top 5-10 in the country. I admit I wear O&B glasses tho.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
What we think about Phil Steele's predictions says more about us that the reality of the actual state of the team.

The last time we saw Scarlett in real competition, he was excellent against lead-footed Iowa. He had a memorable game vs. LSU but forgettable vs. F$U and immobile vs. Bama.

The first team OL didn't look that great against the second team DL in the O&B game.

I do expect improvement and agree as noted above that unless the passing game improves we'll continue fighting in a phone booth offensively.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I guess we read the threat title differently. To me 2nd best rushing unit, means the entire offensive "unit" while running the ball. You take it to mean just the RBs, and IMO, they're way wrong about our RBs. Scarlett, Perine & Thompson if he can hold onto the damn ball will be a great RB group this year. Far better than 6th in the SEC imo. I'm guessing they'll have a combined rushing total yards that will be in the top 1-2 in the SEC and top 5-10 in the country. I admit I wear O&B glasses tho.

First off, it was reported that Steele actually said our running game (not RBs) will be 2nd most IMPROVED.

But I'll play along; of the 5 other SEC schools Steele rates ahead of us, who should we be ahead of? Of course this is subjective, but I think Steele is dead on.

Those 5 are:

1. Alabama: nope, we're not even close
2. UGA: not even close
3. LSU: again, not even close
4. Auburn: nope again...
5. Texas A&M: again, not close

The common denominator here is all of these teams have better OC's than we do.....and their OL's are as good or better. Plus, UGA, LSU, & Alabama's RB recruiting is sick. Who's the last 5-star RB we've signed?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What we think about Phil Steele's predictions says more about us that the reality of the actual state of the team.

The last time we saw Scarlett in real competition, he was excellent against lead-footed Iowa. He had a memorable game vs. LSU but forgettable vs. F$U and immobile vs. Bama.

The first team OL didn't look that great against the second team DL (=TWO WALKONS and a guy who changed position two weeks prior) in the O&B game.

I do expect improvement and agree as noted above that unless the passing game improves we'll continue fighting in a phone booth offensively.
FIFY!

Theo, this is it in a nutshell. I just dont look at these ingredients and think wow we are going to do this or that well. The receiver ranking is nice, but most of those kids are freshmen or second year guys who have done absolutely nothing. Are they different than the last fab five of Fulton, Worton and Company? I hope so but it sure as hell isn't inevitable as we've seen.

I just don't know how we win with this.

And I'm absolutely dumbfounded that some thing we've rebuilt and are set to dominate. Stunning assessments.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
First off, it was reported that Steele actually said our running game (not RBs) will be 2nd most IMPROVED.

But I'll play along; of the 5 other SEC schools Steele rates ahead of us, who should we be ahead of? Of course this is subjective, but I think Steele is dead on.

Those 5 are:

1. Alabama: nope, we're not even close
2. UGA: not even close
3. LSU: again, not even close
4. Auburn: nope again...
5. Texas A&M: again, not close

The common denominator here is all of these teams have better OC's than we do.....and their OL's are as good or better. Plus, UGA, LSU, & Alabama's RB recruiting is sick. Who's the last 5-star RB we've signed?

I don't care about all that. I told you I wear O&B glasses. I saw our guys last year. I know what they're capable of. If they can get some creases this year, they'll be racking up some rushing yardage. Last year they were getting hit in the backfield as soon as they got the ball. Most of their yardage was after contact. I expect that to be a different story this year with the new OL coach and a year's experience under those big boy's belts.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I don't care about all that. I told you I wear O&B glasses. I saw our guys last year. I know what they're capable of. If they can get some creases this year, they'll be racking up some rushing yardage. Last year they were getting hit in the backfield as soon as they got the ball. Most of their yardage was after contact. I expect that to be a different story this year with the new OL coach and a year's experience under those big boy's belts.

You saw our guys last year? They finished DEAD LAST in the SEC!!!!! WTF did you see? FYI, barely cracking 100 yards rushing in a game isn't that impressive. Just sayin.... But I hope you're right! (and honestly, I do think we'll be better....and I love the two hires at RB & OL coach)

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I do think we'll be better....and I love the two hires at RB & OL coach)

That and the experience our OL got last year is what I'm counting on too. I "expect" big improvements this year. Doesn't mean it'll happen, but I still expect it. It can't get worse, can it?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
a year's experience under those big boy's belts.
Well, I'm not sold. I felt like a voice in the wilderness decrying the damage being done to our OL by Chimp and even Daz before him.

Things aren't that much better now. I'd say we are probably going to be below average. Our tackles are solid, probably above average but not yet great. Ivy has much work to do in pass blocking. He has been utterly lost so far so we tucked him inside to hide it. Taylor, though I love him, is a few steps too slow to be great. Incredible dude and giving 100+ % every play but he is a guy with limited athleticism. Love McCoy. Predicted that one too though you guys seem to have forgotten.

Our guards are still D or Fs. Big Fred is what the scouts said, an FIU kind of talent. Not sure what to think of Tyler Jordan. He was at times the best guy on the OL as a freshman. Now? Not sure. He regressed as a soph and apparently has a long way to go.

We could seriously be looking at two freshmen on the OL and regardless have such limited talent at guard that it's at least arguable as to whether or not the freshmen are better.

The spring game highlighted how weak we still are on OL. IMO we are still year or more away from being functional on the OL.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
That and the experience our OL got last year is what I'm counting on too. I "expect" big improvements this year. Doesn't mean it'll happen, but I still expect it. It can't get worse, can it?

I like the positional rankings...good stuff from Steele. When you tally them up it looks like:

East:
Florida 37
Georgia 54
Tennessee 67
So Carolina 80
Missouri 85
Kentucky 90
Vanderbilt 97

West:
Alabama 16
Auburn 32
LSU 48
Texas A+M 53
Ole Miss 74
Arkansas 80
Miss St 88

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Well, I'm not sold. I felt like a voice in the wilderness decrying the damage being done to our OL by Chimp and even Daz before him.

Things aren't that much better now. I'd say we are probably going to be below average. Our tackles are solid, probably above average but not yet great. Ivy has much work to do in pass blocking. He has been utterly lost so far so we tucked him inside to hide it. Taylor, though I love him, is a few steps too slow to be great. Incredible dude and giving 100+ % every play but he is a guy with limited athleticism. Love McCoy. Predicted that one too though you guys seem to have forgotten.

Our guards are still D or Fs. Big Fred is what the scouts said, an FIU kind of talent. Not sure what to think of Tyler Jordan. He was at times the best guy on the OL as a freshman. Now? Not sure. He regressed as a soph and apparently has a long way to go.

We could seriously be looking at two freshmen on the OL and regardless have such limited talent at guard that it's at least arguable as to whether or not the freshmen are better.

The spring game highlighted how weak we still are on OL. IMO we are still year or more away from being functional on the OL.

I think Heggie wins a starting OG spot....so either Jordan or Fred are going to be the #2 there.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure Heggie will. But we are still playing a freshman again.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I like the positional rankings...good stuff from Steele. When you tally them up it looks like:

East:
Florida 37
Georgia 54
Tennessee 67
So Carolina 80
Missouri 85
Kentucky 90
Vanderbilt 97

West:
Alabama 16
Auburn 32
LSU 48
Texas A+M 53
Ole Miss 74
Arkansas 80
Miss St 88
Is that just offense?

If it is, I can tell you that our offense is light years behind Auburns, probably A&M too. I fear what LSU's new OC will do with the talent that Grasseater had and always squandered. Tinerc is much better than we are. Mizzu, maybe. Arky, probably still 40 points better than Butters.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Is that just offense?

If it is, I can tell you that our offense is light years behind Auburns, probably A&M too. I fear what LSU's new OC will do with the talent that Grasseater had and always squandered.

That's all the points added up, total.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator