UF 2nd best rushing unit...in the nation?

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
This is one reason I don't buy into pre-season hype and predictions. While it would be very nice, going from almost worst to top two seems a bit of a stretch. Actual results are all that matter and I would very pleased if we have significant improvement. Red zone scoring? Yeah, that too.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This is one reason I don't buy into pre-season hype and predictions. While it would be very nice, going from almost worst to top two seems a bit of a stretch. Actual results are all that matter and I would very pleased if we have significant improvement. Red zone scoring? Yeah, that too.

Chomper, somewhere in this thread it's pointed out that the OP is wrong. Steele said we'd have the 2nd most IMPROVED rushing offense this year.....and 6th best in the SEC.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Chomper, somewhere in this thread it's pointed out that the OP is wrong. Steele said we'd have the 2nd most IMPROVED rushing offense this year.....and 6th best in the SEC.

Well I wasn't wrong, I was quoting a guy on twitter and said "if true." Dude on twitter is wrong ;)

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Well I wasn't wrong, I was quoting a guy on twitter and said "if true." Dude on twitter is wrong ;)
Verify your sources before posting sh*t! This board deals in solid facts and nothing else you dumb sumb*tch.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
FIFY!

Theo, this is it in a nutshell. I just dont look at these ingredients and think wow we are going to do this or that well. The receiver ranking is nice, but most of those kids are freshmen or second year guys who have done absolutely nothing. Are they different than the last fab five of Fulton, Worton and Company? I hope so but it sure as hell isn't inevitable as we've seen.

I just don't know how we win with this.

And I'm absolutely dumbfounded that some thing we've rebuilt and are set to dominate. Stunning assessments.

I look at the OL experience, size, talent & depth and think they could be VERY good. But show me.

I look at the RB corps and think yeah, Scarlett is a solid SEC back, Perine looks to have great upside, Thompson may someday (Fullwood echo here) put it together and the freshmen give depth. But show me.

I look at QB and see a promising but untested freshman, a 6' unproven transfer, a dynamic 5' 11" spark plug, a wounded oughta-be-walk-on and a Bobby Sabelhaus redux. For the Gators to have a good to great year 1-3 of those guys have to play well and contribute when called upon. I'll be happy if one wins the job and holds it all year. But show me.

I've seen enough from the WRs to have confidence that unit is repaired (if Callaway can stay eligible.) TEs too.

What I can't do is have that level of understanding across the SEC. That's where Phil Steele matters. Other teams have questions, too, including at QB. So I like seeing his optimism, but it's just an opinion.

8-4 with progress will be fine.

8-4 with the same messes won't be.

I go into every season excited & interested to see how the team develops. Whatever happens in Dallas, where are they in December? (See baseball & basketball.)

But even that's not absolute. Zook won in Tallahassee. SOS never did.

I think about what has helped me grow when I've failed and look to encourage, not that I have ANY influence on anything that happens on the field. But that's how I approach life.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Until the OL significantly improves, we won't have any passing or rushing attack. I do not believe the OL is improved until I see it on the field. Davis says all of the right things but, I had never heard of him when Mac hired him...

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

How many times did he get the QB sacked, pressured, or cause the play to get busted due to his inefficient blocking?

It's like a DE that makes 10 sacks in a year....but gets 12 off-sides penalties, 3 personal fouls, and 7 late hit's throughout the season...

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
How many times did he get the QB sacked, pressured, or cause the play to get busted due to his inefficient blocking?

It's like a DE that makes 10 sacks in a year....but gets 12 off-sides penalties, 3 personal fouls, and 7 late hit's throughout the season...

I've never disputed he needs to work on pass blocking. I was just posting facts to support the notion that he's a beast with the ball in his hands.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The common denominator here is all of these teams have better OC's than we do
And better players with the possible exception of aTm. Those other schools out-recruit us by a mile right now.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
And better players with the possible exception of aTm. Those other schools out-recruit us by a mile right now.

I'd venture to guess that TAM's offensive recruiting has been better than ours....just a guess (which OC would you rather play for? and which offense would you rather play in?).

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I've never disputed he needs to work on pass blocking. I was just posting facts to support the notion that he's a beast with the ball in his hands.

I agree, he does well....but he's not a "total" RB at this point. He needs to step his sh*t up or let someone else do it (Perine or one of the other backs). He can't let his QB take hits. He should take pride in being a badass blocker, instead of a f'ing turnstile. I'm not giving him any "props" until he shows me he's a complete running back.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'd venture to guess that TAM's offensive recruiting has been better than ours....just a guess (which OC would you rather play for? and which offense would you rather play in?).
They arent really known for RBs tho... mostly because its a pass happy offense. Like I said, just guessing we may be near on par with them but havent looked to see. Either way we're a far cry from top in the country or even the league which is why i had a belly full of LOL when I first saw the thread.

2nd best in the nation but 6th best in the SEC!!!

4 out of every 3 people have problems with math!!!

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Until the OL significantly improves, we won't have any passing or rushing attack. I do not believe the OL is improved until I see it on the field. Davis says all of the right things but, I had never heard of him when Mac hired him...

I realize this adds little, but what I saw was Scarlett having to ad-lib because the devised hole wasn't there. He often hit a solid unmoved defensive pile, escaped from there and found his own tiny-daylight.?? How much will the OL-blocking change and will Scarlett shine running through the hole actually created by his OL?

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I realize this adds little, but what I saw was Scarlett having to ad-lib because the devised hole wasn't there. He often hit a solid unmoved defensive pile, escaped from there and found his own tiny-daylight.?? How much will the OL-blocking change and will Scarlett shine running through the hole actually created by his OL?
Part of that hitting the hole issue is also attributable to Skipper being a TERRIBLE RB coach. After two years with Skipper in his first run at being a RB coach our RB's did not know how to pass block, pick up blitzes, etc. I do hold Summers accountable for the poor OL play and lack of holes.

Last edited:

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I agree, he does well....but he's not a "total" RB at this point. He needs to step his sh*t up or let someone else do it (Perine or one of the other backs). He can't let his QB take hits. He should take pride in being a badass blocker, instead of a f'ing turnstile. I'm not giving him any "props" until he shows me he's a complete running back.

I'm sure Scarlett is very upset upon hearing this :lol:

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
They arent really known for RBs tho... mostly because its a pass happy offense. Like I said, just guessing we may be near on par with them but havent looked to see. Either way we're a far cry from top in the country or even the league which is why i had a belly full of LOL when I first saw the thread.

2nd best in the nation but 6th best in the SEC!!!

4 out of every 3 people have problems with math!!!

What you've failed to understand is this thread was started under the assumption that the original tweet linked was correct. Obviously the guy misunderstood what he read regarding Steele's rankings, which is why I was skeptical at first (I don't think anybody really thinks we will be #2 in the nation).

That said, it's good to know that y'all take Steele's rankings and predictions seriously. Guess we really are a dark horse and are a preseason top 10 team! :woohoo:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator