UF 3rd in 2017-18 Director's Cup

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
https://floridagators.com/news/2018/6/29/general-gator-athletics-program-third-in-the-nation.aspx

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...df/2017-18/misc_non_event/June29overallDI.pdf

http://www.gatorsports.com/2018/06/uf-finishes-third-in-national-all-sports-rankings/

Very impressive. The ONLY school to finish in the Top 10 all 35 years of this award; 10th straight season in the Top 5.
We can never realistically win it because Stanford competes in 36 sports, using their best 10 finishes from the men's and women's sides. UF competes in 21 sports, but only 9 on the men's side, 12 on the women's; so only our best 19 sports count.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
:law: in 3....2......1......
Ocala, there is only one thing important at the U of Football

But let me express my belief that our entire program is great for our brand. We get to see Olympians and MLB talent and future NBA players among other excellent athletes. Makes me proud to be a gator..............
now back to our regular program of :deadhorse::kiffin::trainwreck::poop::beating::peabody:

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I remember when we were #1 with Foley here. Man, have things dropped off. Best AD in the country.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
There he is. Like clockwork.
a-clockwork-orange-a-stanley-kubrick-movie_a-G-14788756-0.jpg
AND BLUE..............

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I just heard bama was making some huge cuts in their football budget. Word is, they wanna start competing for this directors cup. I expect plenty major schools to follow.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
:law: in 3....2......1......
Ocala, there is only one thing important at the U of Football

But let me express my belief that our entire program is great for our brand. We get to see Olympians and MLB talent and future NBA players among other excellent athletes. Makes me proud to be a gator..............
now back to our regular program of :deadhorse::kiffin::trainwreck::poop::beating::peabody:
I understand the football only mentality of some Gators. I'm fairly new to this board but have been posting on another one for several years. So I get it. But as an alumni and fan of all UF sports since the mid-60's I will continue to express my pride in all things Florida. I know that football is the engine that drives the train. I'm just glad and appreciative of all the other cars that make up the train and glad it's not just the engine all by itself on the track of Gator success.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I just heard bama was making some huge cuts in their football budget. Word is, they wanna start competing for this directors cup. I expect plenty major schools to follow.
Finally!!!!

#winning

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I understand the football only mentality of some Gators. I'm fairly new to this board but have been posting on another one for several years. So I get it. But as an alumni and fan of all UF sports since the mid-60's I will continue to express my pride in all things Florida. I know that football is the engine that drives the train. I'm just glad and appreciative of all the other cars that make up the train and glad it's not just the engine all by itself on the track of Gator success.

Here’s what you have to understand, and frankly I’ve come around to. It’s not a “football only” mentality, it’s a “football first” mentality, and THAT is a requirement for sustained success in things like the “Director’s Cup”. I too enjoy, appreciate, and love all things Gator, and love winning in every.single.sport, in the classroom, in the boardroom, on the US News rankings....all of it.

But from a sports perspective, football has to come FIRST, because it drives, and funds, all other sports. ALL OF THEM. Despite the success of other programs, football is the heart, and we currently have heart disease. It’s great that all of the other organs are working just fine, but if the heart dies, the body dies.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Here’s what you have to understand, and frankly I’ve come around to. It’s not a “football only” mentality, it’s a “football first” mentality, and THAT is a requirement for sustained success in things like the “Director’s Cup”. I too enjoy, appreciate, and love all things Gator, and love winning in every.single.sport, in the classroom, in the boardroom, on the US News rankings....all of it.

But from a sports perspective, football has to come FIRST, because it drives, and funds, all other sports. ALL OF THEM. Despite the success of other programs, football is the heart, and we currently have heart disease. It’s great that all of the other organs are working just fine, but if the heart dies, the body dies.
Excellent points and I agree with you. However, in spite of the floundering football program since Urban Meyer left, the UAA is still making huge profits every year and our overall athletic program continues to finish in the Top 5 every season. But IF they don't get football back where it belongs, the rest of the sports programs will start to feel negative ramifications. Hasn't happened yet, though.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Excellent points and I agree with you. However, in spite of the floundering football program since Urban Meyer left, the UAA is still making huge profits every year and our overall athletic program continues to finish in the Top 5 every season. But IF they don't get football back where it belongs, the rest of the sports programs will start to feel negative ramifications. Hasn't happened yet, though.

Not "profits" they don't exist in not for profits. And of course I think that the debt is increasing, just not beyond our potential to pay it. If football returns to its previous status we will make more money.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Still 4-7

and now South Alabama and Ga State desperately want a piece of us.

Last edited:

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Not "profits" they don't exist in not for profits. And of course I think that the debt is increasing, just not beyond our potential to pay it. If football returns to its previous status we will make more money.
Agree that technically the University Athletic Assn. is a non-profit organization. But the fact is that the University of Florida is one of a handful of universities athletic departments that brings in more revenue than it spends every year. And they turn over millions to the university general fund at the end of each fiscal year. Their debt is NOT increasing. You can look at the publicly available annual financial statements and verify that. I look at them every year and they are in excellent shape and have been for the last 30 years. But I agree with you that with a Top 10 football program year in and year out it would be even better. My point is and always has been that it's not an either or situation with football and the other sports. The University of Florida can should have it all. You don't have to make football suffer to make the other sports great and you don't have to withhold facility upgrades and other financial support from the other sports to make football great.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Agree that technically the University Athletic Assn. is a non-profit organization. But the fact is that the University of Florida is one of a handful of universities athletic departments that brings in more revenue than it spends every year. And they turn over millions to the university general fund at the end of each fiscal year. Their debt is NOT increasing. You can look at the publicly available annual financial statements and verify that. I look at them every year and they are in excellent shape and have been for the last 30 years. But I agree with you that with a Top 10 football program year in and year out it would be even better. My point is and always has been that it's not an either or situation with football and the other sports. The University of Florida can should have it all. You don't have to make football suffer to make the other sports great and you don't have to withhold facility upgrades and other financial support from the other sports to make football great.

You are technically correct on the debt, but with the new capital spending it will be going up. And of course we want it all, and by my ideas the process yields the results, you can't just buy success, you have to work within the rules and the constraints that you should apply to spending especially.

I am very disappointed in our women's bball team over a long time. Living in TN they have traditionally been a power and rubbed it in somewhat. I would like them to improve a lot, not as much as say football.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator