Best Posts in Thread: UF Announces Dan Mullen as HC $36 Million over 6 Years

1. oxrageous

oxrageous American Hero
    Administrator

Oxbucks:
    $2,517
    Ratings:
    +17,066 / -143
    Just a reminder for people to chill out. Any over the top personal remarks or death wishes on people will get you a vacation.

2. gatorjohn

gatorjohn Rev

Oxbucks:
    $109
    Ratings:
    +232 / -5
    We are all strong for old Florida
    Down where the old Gators play.
    In all kinds of weather …
    We'll all stick together…
    For F-L-O-R-I-D-A

I know this will not be popular with all of the negativity going on here, but I will stick with Florida! I will NEVER say "I'm done" like I've read from many on here. Mullen was not my first or second choice, but I'm willing to give him a chance and all my support! I'm Gator through and through and would never wish ill on my team. We have no idea what has gone on behind the scene in this coaching search. Who can say Mullen is not a big upgrade from Mac?

I think Mullen has done a great job bringing Miss State up from the dungeon of the west. Can you imagine recruiting guys to Starkville? We said about other coaches, "He will do great recruiting in fertile grounds of Florida", why can't Mullen. Give him a chance. Can you give a reason why not? I'm so sick of fair weather fans! I do hope you're done with Florida now. We might let you jump back on the bandwagon when we are winning.

• Like Like x 16
    • Dislike Dislike x 3
    • List
  3. BMF

BMF Junior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $512
    Ratings:
    +5,923 / -74
    Jeremy Foley:

"Our new coach is Ron Zook...."

"Our new coach is Will Muschamp...."

"Our new coach is Jim McElwain....."

Scott Stricklin:

"Hold my beer!"

4. SC Gator

SC Gator Sorta Kinda
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $282
    Ratings:
    +775 / -11
    Live look at the SEC Coaching Carousel:

Tennessee: Currently losing their ish because they’re not getting Mullen

MS State: Currently losing their ish because they’re losing Mullen.

Florida: Currently losing their ish because they’re getting Mullen.

Pretty funny tweet

5. Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Shytter's Full!
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $2,774
    Ratings:
    +25,740 / -542
    Looks like an ISIS hostage video.

6. oxrageous

oxrageous American Hero
    Administrator

Oxbucks:
    $2,517
    Ratings:
    +17,066 / -143
    I'm just sitting here feeling physically ill.

7. CTGator

CTGator Member

Oxbucks:
    $48
    Ratings:
    +49 / -4
  8. cover2

cover2 I've grown old
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $329
    Ratings:
    +3,105 / -2
    I'm not exactly overwhelmed with this turn of events. But I can hear my dear departed Grandma's voice in my head, saying what she would always say when something didn't quite work out as expected..."It could be worse!" And I guess that's where I am right now, wait and see. I kinda had a feeling when Nebraska fired their HBC that Frost was most likely out of reach and this process would become more of a crap shoot than a lock.

For me personally, I think the key to making this thing work is that the first two details Mullen has to work out is assembling a good staff that can not only coach at a higher level than what we've experienced for at least these past three seasons, but who can also contribute to the second detail and that is salvaging a decent recruiting class. We'll see what shakes out pretty soon, I'm sure.

I think Mullen obviously comes in with some repair work as far as the fan base is concerned, given comments attributed to him and his missus, but he's got 7 million reasons to get it cleaned up (and I still can't conceive that figure in this situation BTW). I don't expect him to fall prostrate at a press conference confessing his sins (nor would I expect him to do so), but I think the onus is clearly on him to come in and start winning and what he can do with the recruits is again a first big test. He's not lauded as a great recruiter, but a good staff can help to offset that if it is so. A little bird told me that he is already planning in-home visits with many of the commits, so I have to take that as a positive.

A poll in one of the recent threads had me answer, concerning this hire, that "anything was better than 'Butters and Nuss!'" so that's all I've got for now. Come in and win. That's what I want. I'll be watching carefully (and maybe dreaming about what might have been!).

9. MatthewM.

MatthewM. Chief Queef

Oxbucks:
    $251
    Ratings:
    +900 / -39
    This is the equivalent of getting underwear or socks for Christmas. AND then someone telling you they cost $200

10. MatthewM.

MatthewM. Chief Queef

Oxbucks:
    $251
    Ratings:
    +900 / -39
    A total abject failure. Hiring your old turd coach Mullen. **** you.

11. TheGatorsRGreat

BANNED

Oxbucks:
    $70
    Ratings:
    +66 / -2
    I swear some people here make it damn hard to be Gator fans. Like I said earlier, I am not wildly excited at this hire, but given what is out there I'd just assume it be him if we can't get Kelly or Frost.

Some people seem to think that Mullen isn't smart enough not to run a 205 lb QB up the middle 25 times a game. I guess we shall see. When Leak was here, they only ran him occasionally. I recall them doing comparisons of him vs Alex Smith at Utah, and Leak's percentage of passes vs runs was higher than Alex Smith's. It is true, most of them were short passes. The offense under Leak was reasonably productive yardage wise, but my recollection sometimes got jammed up in the red zone (Having Tebow helped that). That was actually true under Zook too with Leak's prior short pass happy offense.

Did they use Leak optimally for his skill set? Probably not, but I'd say they adapted to his skills pretty well while maintaining their core scheme. I have no reason to think they won't adapt the scheme for "Matty Ice" and they won't run him up the middle a dozen times a game.

With Tebow, it wasn't uncommon to throw it down the field, often off of a play action. Now Tebow didn't throw it as often as Spurrier QB's, but his yards per attempt were above average of most of the QB's at the time as I recall.

Long term, will Mullen attract pro style or even some 190-210 lb dual threat QB's? Perhaps not, because they won't view his scheme as the matching their skills the best. But we will have to see.

And for those fans that are offended a 110 lb blonde wife of a coach said she changed her grocery shopping habits due to nagging fans, Jebus Christ grow a friggin pair. I honestly don't care what she says as long as we win games. And if there are actually fans giving the wife of a coach a hard time about sub par Saturday performances, I wouldn't blame the wife for calling them out. If nothing else, the fact that they have already experienced it, and are willing to come anyway, shows they know the drill.

And we wonder why a Chip Kelly or Scott Frost may not want to come here. But...But...TN is bad too!!!

All these board experts who know for a fact that Mullen is going to fail, and a few seem to be rooting for him and the Gators to fail. Years ago "experts" on here said they didn't want any part of Dabo Sweeney if he were available. Same for Kirby Smart. A few years ago people here were saying Rich-Rod was the answer.

I'm just going to let it play out. I don't know what is going to happen, but I am kind of happy for the change, if nothing else, and somewhat relieved that we got a respectable coach who gives us a chance to be respectable. At the end of the day he may suck, but I'll give him at least to the O/B game before I start throwing stones.

12. Gatormac2112

Gatormac2112 The Voice of Reason
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $163
    Ratings:
    +880 / -3
    So UCLA gets Chip Kelly for $4M/year and we hire cousin eddie for $7M/year.

Sounds about right.

13. oxrageous

oxrageous American Hero
    Administrator

Oxbucks:
    $2,517
    Ratings:
    +17,066 / -143
    I can't speak for anyone else, but the answer for me is an emphatic YES. He could have been a nice stopgap if we didn't get Kelly or Frost.

Mullen is going to win just enough to be here a long, long time. For those that hate these coaching searches, you'll be happy. I'll have a long white beard and a couple of marbles rolling around upstairs by the time Mullen is mercifully fired decades from now.

14. Marine1

Marine1 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $65
    Ratings:
    +647 / -11
    Let me go on record today that I disagree with this hire....strongly disagree. DM wasn’t low on my list.....he wasn’t on it at all. Frost was my guy but I could have accepted Kelly. These were the two I thought could unite the fan base and rid us of the pumper/dumper concept. But of course...we get the guy who will bring out the dumper in even more fans.

However, I will continue to support the team....coaches and players. I will attend as many games as I can get to....and on the rare occasion I can’t get there will always watch them At home or in a bar. Will always root for them and never be done with them. It’s my team for better or worse.

Been gone for awhile but got back in time to get up to hog town on Friday....check into the Holiday Inn for 2 nights and head over to the Salty Dog with one son and a daughter and a buddy and had a ball. Again spent way too much money but had a great time and closed the joint. Got up Saturday morning and ate breakfast ....University Holiday Inn....finally has a real breakfast cafe and the breakfast was comped.....which considering the stay was $573 a night it was the least they could do. Then went Gator gear shopping as if we needed more sh*t but came away with a few new items that we won’t wear because we prefer our old faded sh*t. From there headed to The Social for a few cold ones to help set the mood and then to the Champions Club where they put out a nice spread of baked ziti which we filled up on before the game. Proceeded to watch that disaster but still yelled like maniacs and then headed back to the Social until freaking closing. Dragged our azzes out of bed this morning and hit Chueys on the way out of town as my daughter insisted we do so. Hit the road southbound and our normal 3 hour 45 min drive took 6hours without even a wreck....just ridiculous holiday traffic.

Summed up...the loss and the traffic were disasters. The weekend? Huge win. Family, party, game, bonding. We had a great time and that is what UF means to us. I can’t give it up....or give up on them. We’re ride or die.

I don’t like Mullen but I’m all in and hope like hell he is everything I thinks he’s not. He can start by saving our 2018 and 2019 recruiting classes.

#624 Marine1, Nov 26, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  15. oxrageous

oxrageous American Hero
    Administrator

Oxbucks:
    $2,517
    Ratings:
    +17,066 / -143
    Unless you want to stop being a Gator fan, we have no choice but to "support" the new coach. Not sure why people keep saying this.

16. Big Wave

Big Wave Member

Oxbucks:
    $63
    Ratings:
    +58 / -0
    Long time lurker here. I wanted to run this up the flagpole.

I'm not a huge fan of the hire, but it's what I've expected from day one, so I've wrapped my head around it. Allow me to make the case.

1. Meyer's pre-UF success involved a partnership with Mullen. Impressive records, offenses, QBs.
    2. He was UF's OC for four seasons. Offense improved every year.
    2005-Early struggles, Leak is not an option QB, Mullen cobbles together some solutions, Outback Bowl, success.
    2006-Mullen recruits/develops the GOAT option QB and weaves him expertly into a hybrid offense of his own design, natty.
    2007-Mullen's QB in full control, record setting offense, Heisman.
    2008-Offense is a runaway train, should've been another Heisman, natty.
    3. The moment Mullen leaves UF the offense, even with TT at the helm, regresses.
    4. Mullen has elevated MSU and probably reached that program's ceiling. I haven't researched this assertion, and I'm open to being proven wrong. It feels like he has made them a consistent top 25 team. I don't believe they ever were before. He has found and developed QBs that weren't can't miss 5 stars.

That's my argument. I could name five guys I would be more excited about, but I'm going to jump on the CDM train and hope it goes back to the promised land. Unfortunately, I don't think we're likely to know for two years. Oh well.

17. Oklahoma Gator

Oklahoma Gator Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $62
    Ratings:
    +589 / -8
    Can we all just admit that recruiting to Gainesville is quie a bit different than recruiting to Starkville and just chill out with all the wailing and gnashing of teeth. I just want to give the guy a chance to succeed or fail until I make an opinion.

18. gatormandan

gatormandan Are we there yet?
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $538
    Ratings:
    +5,055 / -157
    I would rather have Strong than Mullet. I dont want either but if I had to choose...

19. MTGator

MTGator Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $100
    Ratings:
    +154 / -48
    Good hire if it is indeed Mullen. Good scheme, develops QB’s and will recruit well at UF. Go ahead and hate but feel free to switch your allegiance to FAU. You won’t be missed.

• Like Like x 11
    • Dislike Dislike x 9
    • List
  20. Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Shytter's Full!
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $2,774
    Ratings:
    +25,740 / -542
    fvkk stricklin. *******

Chat

Help

You don't have the necessary permissions to use the chat.

• About Us

Our community sprung up when the Gatorsports message board was shut down in the summer of 2014. We pride ourselves on offering Gator-biased, yet critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is the best Gator message board you will find.
  • Quick Navigation

• Buy us a Zima!

The management works very hard to make sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a non-alcoholic Zima? We'd really appreciate it! Just click the "Donate" tab at the top of the page.