UF at A&M

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n178558 said:
I know we have other issues but Hill averaging 30% or so on 3s is not getting it done at all. You need some threat out there from your PG to keep the other teams defense a little honest.

I read an article that claimed this is the lowest scoring team we have had since the 1950 season.
There's been plenty of point guards who can't shoot the 3 .

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We will end up with a losing record this year and everyone will forget about us and then next year we will be much improved and win 20 games next year. I just hope we don't have all the injury issues next year. Our guys will work hard in the off season and get this program back into the NCAA Tourney. Patience is key. Go Gators!!

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n178612 said:
There's been plenty of point guards who can't shoot the 3 .

Find a PG starter on a Donovan team that was shooting 30% or 31% from 3 point range and we had success?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n178616 said:
Find a PG starter on a Donovan team that was shooting 30% or 31% from 3 point range and we had success?

We have exactly one person that shoots 3s at an acceptable level. Is that Hill's fault? We have no one that can consistently knock down a midrange jumper. Is that Hill's fault? We have zero inside presence. Is that Hill's fault? This team is as offensively challenged as any I can recall in the BD era and it goes much deeper than Hill not being able to knock down a 3. Even if he could, how would that open up the defense? There's no one to pass to down low that can convert. Horford ain't the guy. Neither is Walker. DFS does his best work either on the perimeter or driving. Our problem is our front court.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n178629 said:
We have exactly one person that shoots 3s at an acceptable level. Is that Hill's fault? We have no one that can consistently knock down a midrange jumper. Is that Hill's fault? We have zero inside presence. Is that Hill's fault? This team is as offensively challenged as any I can recall in the BD era and it goes much deeper than Hill not being able to knock down a 3. Even if he could, how would that open up the defense? There's no one to pass to down low that can convert. Horford ain't the guy. Neither is Walker. DFS does his best work either on the perimeter or driving. Our problem is our front court.

Hill not being able to shoot 3s at a % the defense at least has to respect helps the defense cover those other guys imo. I know we have other issues but that is a glaring problem and is one of the main reasons we are not scoring points this season.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n178629 said:

Great points but we have issues at guard as well. Almost nobody can drive against the zone which would open things up.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n178637 said:
Hill not being able to shoot 3s at a % the defense at least has to respect helps the defense cover those other guys imo. I know we have other issues but that is a glaring problem and is one of the main reasons we are not scoring points this season.

I strongly disagree. You only have to play tight D on two players on our entire roster...Frazier and DFS. Occasionally Carter, but he is woefully inconsistent. With Frazier being out, just play zone and we're totally screwed. Our front court is undersized, has no ability to score except in transition and they get pushed around under the basket against anyone with any size. Hill isn't close to being one of our biggest issues.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n178637 said:

I really don't think that's the issue at all. If you compare this year's team (one of the worst under Donovan) to last year's team (the best winning percentage we've ever had) it doesn't look like three point shooting is the problem. Last year's team scored 70.1 points per game -- 19.5 from 3s, 35.5 from 2s, and 15.1 from the charity stripe. This year's team is scoring 65.4 points per game -- 20.4 from 3s, 34.2 from 2s, and 10.8 from the charity stripe. What's interesting about that is that this year's team is actually scoring slightly more points from 3s, slightly less points from 2s, but almost 5 points less from free throws despite shooting about the same percentage (66% vs 67%). Hill gets to the line more than anyone else on the team by the way and his 62% shooting from there is just as efficient as a 40% three point attempt.

It might be surprising that we are scoring more from 3s this year, but when you look at the guys we've lost -- Young, Yeguete, Prather, Wilbekin and D Walker -- only Wilbekin and D Walker were shooters and Walker only played about 10 minutes a game anyway. So last year you had Frazier and Wilbekin both hitting in the ~40%+ range and then DFS and D Walker hitting around ~30%. This year we have Frazier and DFS both hitting in the ~40% range, Carter and Chiozza hitting around ~30% and then Horford and Robinson hitting around ~25%. Even as bad as they are shooting those last two are holding a defender out on the perimeter so in reality we have more shooters on the floor at all times and we are harder to defend on the perimeter compared to last year regardless of the fact that Kasey Hill is on the court for 7 more minutes (29 vs 22) this year.

Of course last year's team also struggled to score points at times and owed its success to the stingiest defense we've ever had.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Bernardo de la Paz;n178923 said:
I really don't think that's the issue at all. If you compare this year's team (one of the worst under Donovan) to last year's team (the best winning percentage we've ever had) it doesn't look like three point shooting is the problem. Last year's team scored 70.1 points per game -- 19.5 from 3s, 35.5 from 2s, and 15.1 from the charity stripe. This year's team is scoring 65.4 points per game -- 20.4 from 3s, 34.2 from 2s, and 10.8 from the charity stripe. What's interesting about that is that this year's team is actually scoring slightly more points from 3s, slightly less points from 2s, but almost 5 points less from free throws despite shooting about the same percentage (66% vs 67%). Hill gets to the line more than anyone else on the team by the way and his 62% shooting from there is just as efficient as a 40% three point attempt.

It might be surprising that we are scoring more from 3s this year, but when you look at the guys we've lost -- Young, Yeguete, Prather, Wilbekin and D Walker -- only Wilbekin and D Walker were shooters and Walker only played about 10 minutes a game anyway. So last year you had Frazier and Wilbekin both hitting in the ~40%+ range and then DFS and D Walker hitting around ~30%. This year we have Frazier and DFS both hitting in the ~40% range, Carter and Chiozza hitting around ~30% and then Horford and Robinson hitting around ~25%. Even as bad as they are shooting those last two are holding a defender out on the perimeter so in reality we have more shooters on the floor at all times and we are harder to defend on the perimeter compared to last year regardless of the fact that Kasey Hill is on the court for 7 more minutes (29 vs 22) this year.

Of course last year's team also struggled to score points at times and owed its success to the stingiest defense we've ever had.

I don't think it can be seen by just as a team 3pt %. They have broken us down a few times on SECN and ESPN and different analysts were saying the same thing while reviewing the tape that it is a big issue and were showing how teams played us differently on defense many times than other teams that had a PG that was more of a 3 point threat because they didn't respect Hill as a shooter. They were much quicker to collapse on the few players we do have that are actual scoring threats. I know we have inside issues also since Walker isn't working out as we had hoped so far.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Gator Fever;n179074 said:
I don't think it can be seen by just as a team 3pt %. They have broken us down a few times on SECN and ESPN and different analysts were saying the same thing while reviewing the tape that it is a big issue and were showing how teams played us differently on defense many times than other teams that had a PG that was more of a 3 point threat because they didn't respect Hill as a shooter. They were much quicker to collapse on the few players we do have that are actual scoring threats. I know we have inside issues also since Walker isn't working out as we had hoped so far.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-6068-1355938609-14.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator