UF beats out Houston Baptist to land High School backup QB

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
soflagator;n252314 said:
I'll also add(may have been mentioned already) that we have a 4* athletic Soph QB, a RFR 4* QB, and a 2017 4* commit. So as thin as we are, I'm not sure we're going to get a whole lot of looks from the biggest names who typically want to play right away. Until JM shows that it's worth it to come to UF and sit behind 2-3 other star players, we're probably only going to get one good QB and then some fillers.

Ftr, I'm not sold on the 2* kid either, but I sincerely doubt any 4* kids would be scared off by what they've seen of TH, or that they haven't seen anything from WG. All eyes are on JMac and Nuss to see what they can do and if they are coaches worth signing under. I'd imagine any QB in '16 or '17 is looking at our roster saying they have a good a shot as anyone to earn the starting position, but are the coaches worth playing for? Biggest reason I'm not sweating '16 class yet, most of it hinges on how we look this year on the field, IMO.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I guess we can look at the bright side here. What if he'd chosen Houston Baptist over us? :lol:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Word on the street is that nussmeier really believes in this kids ability to hand the ball off.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
[QUOTE='78;n252093]

Can you imagine us applauding over beating out a Baptist school for a 2-star quarterback back when Meyer was coach? God bless McElwain if he can turn this all around.[/QUOTE]

Meyer did recruit Murphy, who was a 2 star....

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n252327 said:
Let's see. Awkward throwing motion, 2 receivers inexplicably in the same area, lack of communication as neither are expecting a pass. Yeah, sounds about what we've seen recently. Should be a great fit.

Not to sound like I'm piling on, but he does have an oddball motion. On some of his throws, it almost looks like a wristy sidearm flip. The ball travels with a lot of arc to the receiver, which probably won't draw too many complaints from them. If I knew nothing else about him, I'd say his chances of making it in the SEC are somewhere between slim and none, but then that's why McElwain gets paid the big bucks and I post on Gator Chatter.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
TLB;n252330 said:
Ftr, I'm not sold on the 2* kid either, but I sincerely doubt any 4* kids would be scared off by what they've seen of TH, or that they haven't seen anything from WG. All eyes are on JMac and Nuss to see what they can do and if they are coaches worth signing under. I'd imagine any QB in '16 or '17 is looking at our roster saying they have a good a shot as anyone to earn the starting position, but are the coaches worth playing for? Biggest reason I'm not sweating '16 class yet, most of it hinges on how we look this year on the field, IMO.

I do agree with most of your post. But I think it's also about bodies and perception. One of the biggest factors for Aaron Murray was our depth chart of Tebow(Sr), Brantley and Newton. Considering he redshirted, Tebow would've been a non-factor, and neither of the other 2 had done anything at all (other than run over an undersized ut defensive back). You could also look at our struggles to land a solid QB in the 2012 class, because of the perceived logjam at QB and the two ultra talented stars in the making, Driskel and Brissett.

Remember, we flipped TH from the defending NC, and it was considered a huge coup at the time. And Grier was even more highly regarded. Throw in Allen for 2017, and I do think there's enough to cause a comparable QB to maybe look elsewhere. And as I said, until we prove it's worth it to come here and sit, I think we're going to have recruiting class gaps at some of the skill positions.

Agree fully that all eyes are going to be on offensive improvement. This year is critical.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n252342 said:
Meyer did recruit Murphy, who was a 2 star....
I doubt Murphy was warming the pine in high school.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Bernardo de la Paz;n252337 said:
This thread is HOF material so far.

I was thinking more along the lines of some people seriously need some new material.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
aka;n252349 said:
I was thinking more along the lines of some people seriously need some new material.
56264061.jpg

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
[QUOTE='78;n252343]

Not to sound like I'm piling on, but he does have an oddball motion. On some of his throws, it almost looks like a wristy sidearm flip. The ball travels with a lot of arc to the receiver, which probably won't draw too many complaints from them. If I knew nothing else about him, I'd say his chances of making it in the SEC are somewhere between slim and none, but then that's why McElwain gets paid the big bucks and I post on Gator Chatter.[/QUOTE]

I was actually referring to the Napolean Dynamite uncle gif.

Haven't even watched the video yet. But I actually think these recruiting services get it right a lot more than they get it wrong, so I tend to agree with you.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
GatorJ;n252131 said:
No. I'm saying that the offense that's run at that HS is a spread offense and this kid doesn't fit that offense. Why would they replace a kid that accounted for 46 TDs last year in a system that he excels in? I don't evaluate kids so I can't tell you how good a kid is that has no experience. We can only rely on an evaluation of him competing with the top talent in the state at FNL.

While it does seem odd for us to be recruiting a 2 star back up people also need to remember that some QB's come out of nowhere to shine....Brady hardly ever started while at Michigan and who had ever heard of Kurt Warner before somebody took a chance on him....Some are at the wrong place at the wrong time and I guess other could just be late bloomers.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
He can't be any worse than the last two 5* can't miss QBs we endured.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n252352 said:
I was actually referring to the Napolean Dynamite uncle gif.

Haven't even watched the video yet. But I actually think these recruiting services get it right a lot more than they get it wrong, so I tend to agree with you.

Lol, just skimmed the posts. Thought you were talkin about Trask. Here's the link to a video on him. Not gonna mess with all the codes (can't remember the order here).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yonVk2ln6XQ

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n252353 said:
While it does seem odd for us to be recruiting a 2 star back up people also need to remember that some QB's come out of nowhere to shine....Brady hardly ever started while at Michigan and who had ever heard of Kurt Warner before somebody took a chance on him....Some are at the wrong place at the wrong time and I guess other could just be late bloomers.
Both Brady and Warner completely dominated in high school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb