UF Defense vs LSU Offense

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
This is strength on strength and the place where this game will be won or lost. A few issues regarding this matchup:

1. The UF defensive front has proven to be a superlative pass rushing unit, but this is the first and strongest bona fide running attack we'll face. We've given up some chunks on the ground. Will we slow Fournette down?

2. Regarding the above, and with regards to injuries in the LB corps, if Powell is not back, is nickel back formation really what we want here? Will Maye and even Neal get slid closer to the line of scrimmage and does this expose us downfield?

3. Will Miles take note of our lack of discipline on gadget plays vs UT and go full Joker on us?

4. Will LSU just hand Fournette the rock or try to get him the ball in other ways (direct snaps, screens, etc)?

Helluva chess match coming up.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
LongTooth;n295573 said:
This is the first and strongest bona fide running attack we'll face. We've given up some chunks on the ground. Will we slow Fournette down?
We've given up chunks mostly when we are playing bend or when we had a few guys just make mental mistakes. That being said we don't have those true run stopping stumps at DT and NT. However, I think our depth on OL wins the day.
2. Regarding the above, and with regards to injuries in the LB corps, if Powell is not back, is nickel back formation really what we want here? Will Maye and even Neal get slid closer to the line of scrimmage and does this expose us downfield?
Powell being back doesn't make us better vs the run. He was on the field in passing situations. Maye or Neal are probably better against the run than Powell. They are probably better in passing situations, too.
3. Will Miles take note of our lack of discipline on gadget plays vs UT and go full Joker on us?
Probably.

Honestly, I think we match up well against these guys. Not sure why everyone is so scared. One trick pony.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
One trick pony, name of Secretariat.

If Fournette breaks through past the line, he's as legit a threat to "take it to the house" as anyone who's played college football in my lifetime.

gatorfan81

Founding Member
Done
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Some say we have to stack the box and let them beat us with the pass, but I think we will play our regular defense and not try to give them any advantages. I think mac will trust our d-line to get penetration and meet LF in the backfield and gang tackle gang tackle gang tackle and gang tackle. I expect some late hit penalties to come our way Saturday.

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Yankeetown;n295601 said:
One trick pony, name of Secretariat.

If Fournette breaks through past the line, he's as legit a threat to "take it to the house" as anyone who's played college football in my lifetime.
And that's what scares me. One broken tackle at the line can be a 78 yard TD. We better work fundamentals Saturday. Period

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Except for that long run on USCe they held him pretty good. And they have been gouged all year.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I can see the concern but no need to "scared" of this team at all. This is exactly where the game will be one. Our plan should be to contain him. He'll get some yards and I don't think you can totally shut him down. We just need to make LSU throw the ball. If we can get them to 3rd and long situations this will benefit the UF tremendously. Then let the secondary and the rush take over. If LSU gets to 15-20 pass attempts it could be a good sign for us.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think UF is much improved on defense this year v last year and UF truly should have beaten LSU last year. Yes, I understand LSU has improved too, but not to the degree that UF has. Think back to last year's game, LSU pounded us with Fournette - 27 carries for 140 yards and two td's. That's 5.2 yards per carry, but his long run was only 20 yards.

I think if UF can hold Fournette to about 4 yards per carry, with his long run being in the 20-25 yard range, UF will win this game.

Our lack of depth at LB worries me. If ever we needed the big, fast bodies of Anzalone and Rolin (allegedly), it's this game. Morrison and Davis have been playing beautifully, but it sure would be nice to have one more true LB to support and give them blows.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Their OL is impressive. Fournette isn't getting touched on a lot of those long runs, or at least not until he's 20 yards downfield and then it's glancing dives and grabs. Stopping their running game will come down to gap discipline and sure tackling. I'm curious how the head on collisions with Keanu will turn out. As for run-stopping plug guys, I was happy to see Khari Clark in the game Saturday. He's got that build. And Taven Bryan is raw-bone country boy strong, reminds me of Brad Culpepper. He's tough to move.

I've been mildly irritated by the media hyperbole around him. He's not bigger nor as fast as Herschel Walker was 35 years ago. I wish they'd stop acting like we haven't seen this. And when Herschel was doing it, D1 and NFL DE's were roughly 225 (his playing weight.) And despite his greatness, the best college RB since Jim Brown IMHO, the Gators nearly beat his UGA teams twice. (I was at the third try. Oh my. 44-0 or something like that.) and we've beaten a lot of great backs including Bo.

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We're well set up to stop the run. Our corners can play man, allowing the line to focus on the run. Depth of the DL is good, but LSU's OL is good, too. Fournette has made his living beating up on and running away from defensive backs. He has to get hit at the line.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
I actually disagree.

I think this game will be won or lost in the trenches on the other side of the ball. What kind of push in the running game and protection in the passing game can our o line get vs LSU's defense. Can our Redshirt Freshman gunslinger take care of the ball in one of the toughest environments in all of college football?

Field position and turnovers will decide this one. Fournette will get his 140-150 yards and 2 tds most likely. How he gets them will be a different story. Will he get them because Grier fumbles inside our 20 and gives them a short field? Or will we make LSU drive the field and make him earn every yard he gets?

That is the key to the game. If we win this game it won't be a "fireworks" type game like Ole Miss was, it'll be a grinder, low scoring, with both teams under 20 probably.

At least that's my take on it.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
LongTooth;n295573 said:
This is strength on strength and the place where this game will be won or lost. A few issues regarding this matchup:

1. The UF defensive front has proven to be a superlative pass rushing unit, but this is the first and strongest bona fide running attack we'll face. We've given up some chunks on the ground. Will we slow Fournette down?

4. Will LSU just hand Fournette the rock or try to get him the ball in other ways (direct snaps, screens, etc)?

Helluva chess match coming up.

1- He's going to get his yards. Our redzone D has been solid on the road thus far , and obviously will need to continue.
Their coordinator has been around a very long time, and is a competent play caller. Expect them to take some shots when they get near or passed midfield. Dural and Dupre are both very good downfield threats.

2- No our 4-2-5 isn't ideal here, but it puts our best players on the field together. The second question really depends on how their QB plays. We play a lot of man coverage, so there are plays
to be made downfield against us.

3- Probably. Nobody has faked a punt or FG against us yet.

4- I'm expecting 25 to 30 totes for him. Maybe a couple catches out of the backfield.

The game really boils down to two things.
#1- Protecting Grier.
#2- Avoid continuous 3 and outs like we had in the 2nd half last saturday.I think in Q3 we had three or four in a row. We can't have that on saturday. If the D is on the field in the 2nd half that much they can and will wear our front and backers out. Just like they did the last time we went to Baton Rouge.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Circle City Gator;n295624 said:
We're well set up to stop the run. Our corners can play man, allowing the line to focus on the run. Depth of the DL is good, but LSU's OL is good, too. Fournette has made his living beating up on and running away from defensive backs. He has to get hit at the line.
This

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Theologator;n295621 said:
I was happy to see Khari Clark in the game Saturday. He's got that build. .

I was also happy to see Thomas Holley finally getting some snaps, same as Clark, huge body and build, both should develop into great run stoppers.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
The Original DC;295620 said:
I think UF is much improved on defense this year v last year and UF truly should have beaten LSU last year. Yes, I understand LSU has improved too, but not to the degree that UF has. Think back to last year's game, LSU pounded us with Fournette - 27 carries for 140 yards and two td's. That's 5.2 yards per carry, but his long run was only 20 yards.

I think if UF can hold Fournette to about 4 yards per carry, with his long run being in the 20-25 yard range, UF will win this game.

Our lack of depth at LB worries me. If ever we needed the big, fast bodies of Anzalone and Rolin (allegedly), it's this game. Morrison and Davis have been playing beautifully, but it sure would be nice to have one more true LB to support and give them blows.
^This!!!
We had them on the ropes last year with our best weapon on offense was the Punt!
I know they are better and the LBs will have to play a pivotal riel and I think they do. If we hold #7 to under 150 we win. If we hold him under 110 we destroy them.
Trust in Coach Mac! He will have them ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ItsDookie87

...it's best to let him finish
BANNED
Sep 8, 2014
The more I think about it the more I think the Florida offense vs the LSU defense matchup will be were this game is won. It has that type of feeling where everyone is talking about strength on strength but at the end of the game everyone is talking about the other side of the ball. The best way to keep the D fresh and LF7 to minimal yards is to keep him on the sideline and score early to make LSU adjust their game plan. I do wonder if we're going to try some 5 DL fronts outside of the redzone, really clog those running lanes. There will probably be a lot of one on ones but make Harris have to make the throw against our excellent corners and good luck to him. LF7 ran for 140 yards against us last year but we didn't formulate a game plan around just stopping him. LSU also lost their starting FB to injury who played a big part in that offense. I wish it was Saturday already!

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Our defense is solid. If they play disciplined like they have the last two games, they'll contain LF. I said contain, not stop. To me the key is our OL play. If the OL can give Grier a pocket, he can work the short to intermediate passes like he did against OM, the running game will open.

This is actually a little scary. Miles' junk play could turn a solid defensive effort into garbage. I hope Collins and Co. spend some time on this with the boys.​

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
LSU will look at the Tennessee game film and think that they can run on us like Dobbs did and Hurd did at times. We put that on film and LSU will be salivating over it. But it may play in to our hands if they think that. The Dobbs runs were more of a tackling issue and over-pursuit than a scheme and personnel issue and our players damn well know what the entire country knows; you can't miss tackles on Fournette. If we can stifle their run, LSU's offense will crap themselves and they'll have no answers. The thought of having to move the ball through the air to win a game hasn't even crossed LSU's mind this year. You want to hear an entire stadium of fans, a team and a coaching staff let out a collective "uh oh," let us stuff LSU's run for 3 or 4 series in a row, and you'll hear it.

I'm liking this match-up more and more as I think about it. Make them throw the ball to beat us, even if you give up some big plays through the air, it gets them out of their comfort zone and they'll make some costly mistakes as a result.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
ItsDookie87;n295658 said:
The more I think about it the more I think the Florida offense vs the LSU defense matchup will be were this game is won. It has that type of feeling where everyone is talking about strength on strength but at the end of the game everyone is talking about the other side of the ball. The best way to keep the D fresh and LF7 to minimal yards is to keep him on the sideline and score early to make LSU adjust their game plan. I do wonder if we're going to try some 5 DL fronts outside of the redzone, really clog those running lanes. There will probably be a lot of one on ones but make Harris have to make the throw against our excellent corners and good luck to him. LF7 ran for 140 yards against us last year but we didn't formulate a game plan around just stopping him. LSU also lost their starting FB to injury who played a big part in that offense. I wish it was Saturday already!

And keep his ass in the pocket! When he does get out of the pocket, A. Make him pay for it, and B. Wrap him up and put him on his back.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think the concern over Special Teams trickery is overstated. Mac has played pretty conservative on defending FG's and punts. Mostly play safe formations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.