UF Football....‘It is much more of a rebuild than any of us want to believe’

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
This is sadly not surprising news. We’ve been a pile of manure for years now. I guess the fact that it can’t really get that much worse is somewhat pleasant? Otherwise, it’s just depressing how far we’ve fallen in every single facet of football.

This is really so much new coach coach speak BS. It really really makes me miss Spurrier, ie a guy who came in and went to work and won rather than played silly PR games. Mullen needs to do his job and go 10-2 this fall and then move the program forward.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You act like UF is the only team in the SEC that has problems. The conference is loaded with hurting teams at the moment.
That is the flipside. This is the worst the SEC East has ever been.

Ugly is the only decent team and they have an OC that isnt significantly better than Doug Nusschamp.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So you are claiming UF's roster is far worse than the recruiting services rated the class?
Mullen's recruits don't occupy more than half the roster.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
So we think that our team of players who have played many years of football can't learn the basics fairly quickly? Sure the past coaches were idiots, but if these players want to have success and a career in the NFL they will rapidly learn the basics, even if they have to practice all off season. I expect improvements in the basics to result in improved play which will get somewhat better results. Now a NC is not in the offering this or next year, a quality effort and a bowl victory will suffice.

Think? Did you see the number of false starts this team had last year? Not just from the OL, but from practically every position on the offense. Did you see the video's of players blocking EACH OTHER!?!?! This team needs basic discipline...and coaching....and talent.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This is a mystery that will likely never be cleared up. It actually appears that neither Foley or Stricklin was actually overseeing the program, or else those extensions never would have taken place. None of the coaches were actually coaching....and they get raises? :crazy:

I actually think you're right, which is alarming when you consider the level of dysfunction that was rewarded.

There are some people in high places at UF who don't deserve to be there, and I'm not just pointing at the AD's office.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Mullen's recruits don't occupy more than half the roster.

What are only Mullen recruits able to play in Mullen's system? As I said on another thread UF's roster is composed of players from classes ranked 9, 21, 12, 11 and 14. Now as I was asking Donkey perhaps the view here is UF's last five classes have been over rated by the recruiting services?

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Not to beat a dead horse (which means I'm about to), but do you suppose Foley made an effort to draw a consensus on Mac before selling his soul?

If he did, you would think the word whackjob would have been repeated over and over.

Stricklin? It's as unbelievable that he extended Mac less than a year ago as Mac walking away with 7.5 large.

Stricklin is on record saying he was just completing a process that had already started and had been committed, but that it’s one of his bigger early regrets.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What are only Mullen recruits able to play in Mullen's system? As I said on another thread UF's roster is composed of players from classes ranked 9, 21, 12, 11 and 14. Now as I was asking Donkey perhaps the view here is UF's last five classes have been over rated by the recruiting services?
Was only making sense out of Law's post by pointing out it was a jab at Mac, not Mullen.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Stricklin is on record saying he was just completing a process that had already started and had been committed, but that it’s one of his bigger early regrets.
Maybe that's a sign of progress. I never heard Foley utter a regret.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
“I talked to [Gators co-offensive coordinator] John Hevesy, I talked to [Gators special teams coordinator] Greg Knox, I talked to Dan Mullen,” Cubelic said. “They all talked about ‘we’re starting over.’ They went back to base fundamentals — how to get in a stance, how to line up, steps on a route, when to break off a route, I mean basic, fundamental football stuff that apparently those players had gotten away from and didn’t really have a great concept of.
This is overblown. They're molding the players to prepare and play the way that they want them to play.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Will Duncap destroyed the offense and Butters finished off the defense.

Half of our roster is Sunbelt or worse.
There is no denying how bad this is.
And yet....we had fun out there Saturday........
BTW there is some hope on the horizon......We're getting all the good guys next year .....:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Its crazy talk but there are a bunch of bubble blowers who think "we just need a QB."

So you have gone over to the dark side of the pumpers with low expectations of UF football. Personally, I look at UF schedule, the ratings of the last five class whose members necessarily make up the current roster and I know that IF UF hired the right coach this time, UF will win 10 games this fall.

That is not a prediction on my part. That is a standard. At one time you had high standards for the program too. Now it sounds like you are making up excuses for a new coach. That makes you a pumper to me.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I’ve already been on record with this. Said last was the year Kentucky should have got it done. Won’t happen this year.

I’m guessing you have us winning the East?
Yes, if we have a QB. That's not looking good.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Had he taken a close look at the program when he got there and talked to a lot of people privately to get input, I can't imagine he would have completed that process.

I would think it would have been obvious to Striklin the moment he got there that Mac wasn't a long-term answer.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
So you have gone over to the dark side of the pumpers with low expectations of UF football. Personally, I look at UF schedule, the ratings of the last five class whose members necessarily make up the current roster and I know that IF UF hired the right coach this time, UF will win 10 games this fall.

That is not a prediction on my part. That is a standard. At one time you had high standards for the program too. Now it sounds like you are making up excuses for a new coach. That makes you a pumper to me.

Saban didn't win ten his first year at Bama. Mullen needs time to get his system in place. The program was broken. He needs at least 7-8 years.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
We’ve got a long ways to go and a short time to get there.

Last edited:

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
Saban didn't win ten his first year at Bama. Mullen needs time to get his system in place. The program was broken. He needs at least 7-8 years.

7-8 years to do what exactly? Get to Mars? That is a ridiculous timeline. He should start making runs to the playoffs by year three, four at most. Why on earth would it take 7 or 8 years? By year 3-4 the most of the roaster should be recruited by him and his staff, and entirely coached by them from the ground up. We are not Mississippi state, and we should not be waiting around for 8-9 years happy with 9-10 win seasons.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Cubelic also doesn't think Emory will see the field this year. He's not big enough, the line stinks, and Grimes and Jefferson likely won't be available. And Mullen won't want him crushed physically or psychologically by throwing him to the wolves on a team that will have to perform miracles to go even 7-5 or 8-4. He'll bring him along slow.

This is not going to be nearly as big a turnaround year as people hope. Gonna take lumps.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
7-8 years to do what exactly? Get to Mars? That is a ridiculous timeline. He should start making runs to the playoffs by year three, four at most. Why on earth would it take 7 or 8 years? By year 3-4 the most of the roaster should be recruited by him and his staff, and entirely coached by them from the ground up. We are not Mississippi state, and we should not be waiting around for 8-9 years happy with 9-10 win seasons.

B1FC8B46-2116-4C2E-A891-8D2A8C0A0BCC.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.