UF hires Houston OC Brian Johnson to be QB coach

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Ive seen him in concert. Very cool. Didn't know he was also a coach

31F9A80100000578-3481395-image-a-62_1457406159264.jpg

I’m jealous. Wanted to see them on this last go around but then they swapped him out for Axl so I passed...only to have Malcolm die a few weeks ago.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Yeah take a look at the offensive stats for any team that Major Applewhite has run.

He was a top choice for Chimp.... let that sink in

PPG rank

Rice OC - 80th
Bama OC - 63rd
Texas OC - 48th, 20th
Houston OC - 10th

YPG rank

Rice OC - 83rd
Bama OC 62nd
Texas OC - 48th, 38th
Houston OC - 22nd

The question for this season is he still calling plays or is Brian Johnson? I have no idea. In White's defense, how many OCs are great their first 2 years as playcallers. As he's grown in experience, his offenses got better. At least on paper anyway. I don't watch Texas or Houston.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Like the move, lets see how it pans out. I am just 100% ecstatic that there is someone other than MacNussy in the OC position.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
@ThomasGoldkamp: #Gators new assistant Brian Johnson was on the cover of EA Sports' NCAA Football 2010.

He also beat Alabama in the Sugar Bowl as Utah's starting QB in 2008. Not bad.

I remember him as a player. After Meyer came, I took a side interest in watching Utah. In part, I thought Bama didn’t take Utah seriously. But Johnson played really well in other big games too.

And he really knows the principles upon which Mullen designs an offense. Seems like good hire on the field and I hope he’s an effective recruiter. He’s got a much better brand to sell.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah take a look at the offensive stats for any team that Major Applewhite has run. He was a top choice for Chimp.... let that sink in.

Decent chance that Applewhite was most or all of the problem at Houston.
Could be ... I'm just tired of taking 2nd and 3rd derivatives.

I prefer Spurrier's method after Nebraska. Who's the got the best D in the country and a young DC ? Hire him.

Buckman2000

Oct 1, 2016
Sometimes it’s about familiarity. Urban brought in guys he was familiar with and I believe he kept CS on due to him being familiar with CS from their time at Notre Dame. Mullen bringing guys like Hevesy and BG who were here when this program was at the top of the mountain. I’m still trying to figure out out how Davis and Skipper fit in to all this. I see only one of them staying on.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Agree, Marianna. He'll relate well with recruits in more ways than one. Probably a very good hire considering the importance of the position in Mullen's offense.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Fresh, younger, energetic, familiarity... gonna need something like this some time or another to wash all the stale, selfish, under achieving, disorganized mental disease that front office and player program we've had for a decade... not saying this has the beginnings of a championship sports documentary... I just mean shake it up fresh, puff up the Brand, hit the weight room, buzz about an identity, establish the mission and play it out for 2018. Anything other than what we've had man... built up anticipation only to be smacked down with disappointment seems year after year. I'm liking the tilt toward younger than ole set in our ways crap.
Go Gators!

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You have to wonder how this hire weighs on Fields. It makes Florida a very attractive fit for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator