UF hires Michigan OC Doug "Nussy" Nussmeier

Discussion in 'Main Sports Forum' started by williston_gator, Dec 23, 2014.

1. G8RNGA

G8RNGA Senior Member

Oxbucks:
    $14
    Ratings:
    +74 / -0
    I hear ya. Saban said he did, but I doubt it was begging.

2. Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Stop steaming up my tail!
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,005
    Ratings:
    +23,936 / -486
    Well, the guy did leave on the first train out of town. Do you need us to see who purchased the ticket? I doubt Saban was beggin also. He probably told Nuss to GTFO now.

I will say that I've also noticed that this guy is the only former coach that I recall Saban criticizing. He obviously DID open up the offense and when Nuss left and went to Meatchicken, and Half Kiff did it with a backup DB playing QB, so don't act like there was an improved passer available.

This feels a lot like the Peas hire. I haven't looked it up but someone on the other board posted that Nuss' average offensive ranking was 60 something.

Show me.

3. Swamp Donkey

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,005
    Ratings:
    +23,936 / -486
    I don't know anyone wanting Mike Leach-- Hal Mumme sideways 2 yard passing game. I remember laughing at a Kintucky friend of mine after watching a Mumme ear Mildcat team complete 2 passes then have 3rd and long. (Actually I guess there were a few morons calling for Leach or Holgerson during the coaching search but we point and laugh at them.)

Trying to spin Nuss as some offensive guru and points machine is a joke however. We'll see how it goes because he's not going to have a van full of 5 star RBs, a dominant OL and a flock of 4 star receivers. As others have said, our offensive roster looks more like Meatchicken, maybe even Western Michigan, than it does '12 Bammer.

Hope for the best, but the guy has a track record already.

4. Swamp Donkey

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,005
    Ratings:
    +23,936 / -486
    He's obviously not brilliant and I know he will let his big mouth screw it up. He's just obviously a lot better than what they had before.

5. Swamp Donkey

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,005
    Ratings:
    +23,936 / -486
    3000 isn't much with a 13-15 game season. Right now the SEC is terrible at playing pass defense (at least if your line can hold) because everyone is playing big safeties and tackle first corners over their better cover types. Even mediocre QBs like Johnny Cocaine, Aaron Murray and even safeties turned QB like Blake Sims have been tearing it up throw the air.

It's stupid to continue to muzzle ourselves.

6. Bullag8r

Bullag8r Senior Member

Oxbucks:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +153 / -1
    put the coffee down and step away

7. Gatorious

Gatorious Senior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $10
    Ratings:
    +109 / -0
    Hmmm... [h=1]College football quotes of the year
    December 25, 2014[/h]
    "People ask me what Nick says to me on the sidelines. It is just, 'I love you so much. Can we just run some."
    -- Alabama OC Lane Kiffin

OT, but also in article:

http://espn.go.com/college-football...-briles-dominate-college-football-quotes-year

8. GatorStud

GatorStud Wait 'till Next Year
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $24
    Ratings:
    +1,864 / -5
    We can only wish we get this kind of banter and humor about a productive offense...

9. Gatoravatara

Gatoravatara Protaganista

Oxbucks:
    $89
    Ratings:
    +1,328 / -178
    This hire does not impress me much. Kicked out of Bamma and blew in Michigan. What is to like about that? I'm all about pumping. But we have to be realistic. Nobody seems to be able to refute the facts that Law stated. That said I'm hoping for the best. It's Mac's offense. So we have to give him the chance to run it his way. I don't get the hire but hopefully they click or Mac will run the offense. Its just that Michigan really sucked this year.

10. TN G8tr

TN G8tr The "Original" TN G8tr
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $45
    Ratings:
    +2,033 / -9
    I'm not sure how much we can take out of the BAMA and Meatchicken situation. Too much crap to sift through. If you don't mesh with Saban, its just not going to work. I know that Kiffen has had success there and the offense with a converted DB broke records but don't think for a minute that Saban is all gushy over LK. They're using each other. One, Saban will always believe he is the one that makes it all happen. Two, Kiffy is there soley to salvage his career and in hopes to land another HC gig. Truth is LK may be a better coordinator than a HC. For an example see i.e. Will Muschamp. In addition to keep Kiffy in line you need a control freak like Saban. So on the Nuss hire this one will have to wait and see. But....there is a history, relationship, and some good work that has been done. And the way Mac is approaching things I like it. We've all said that the HC does control much of the philosophies with the coordinators. Well, this may be a good indication. If he has and will again work well with Mac, UF should be better off than what we have been in the past.

11. Concrete Helmet

Concrete Helmet Hook, Line, and Sinker
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $65
    Ratings:
    +4,351 / -85
    I wouldn't make so much of it being that he is our OC...Do you really believe that Durkin ran our defense the last 2 years? I think not. Mac probably wants him more for recruiting and to mesh terminology with someone upstairs and to work the terminology with the players. Remember that Nuss has recent ties with HS coaches, in the region, which is huge because a lot of the same schools continuously produce the best talent....if the coaches at those schools like you it gives you a leg up on recruiting those schools. Keep in mind also that having someone you trust to look after the well being of the offense while tending to other responsibilities that a HC has is also important and Mac may feel more comfortable with Nuss.

12. Swamp Donkey

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,005
    Ratings:
    +23,936 / -486
    That's probably one of your best posts ever, CH.

13. GatorBenji

GatorBenji Senior Member

Oxbucks:
    $8
    Ratings:
    +167 / -0
    :exactly:

14. PastyStoole

PastyStoole Senior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $14
    Ratings:
    +1,502 / -8
    2014 was a horrific year for him as the OC at Michigan, and by far his worst year as an OC. It's concerning because Devin Gardner was a pretty solid QB up until last year, and he came to Michigan as a 5 star recruit by some services, and the 5th best QB overall by ESPN. Nuss had good years at Bama and Washington which is encouraging along with an ok one at Fresno, though.

15. I Have No Friends :(

I Have No Friends :( F$U fans support rape
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $39
    Ratings:
    +1,283 / -5
    This is pretty much how I feel. I'm remaining cautiously optimistic.

16. TN G8tr

TN G8tr The "Original" TN G8tr
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $45
    Ratings:
    +2,033 / -9
    I am too remaining cautiously optimistic as well but I have a good feeling about this situation. Mac and Nuss appear with their history that they are on the same page. When did we have that with WM?? In addition WM went out and got these high profile, guru card toting offensive coordinators and they didn't pan out due to his meddling and philosophy. So that sucked. Maybe its about time we go with an above average guy, with some QB developing history, that is on board with the HC? The Muschamp Error is over and its quite refreshing and promising that we are doing some things completely opposite.

17. '78

'78 Dazed and Confused
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $567
    Ratings:
    +6,397 / -45
    From December 2013, an interesting SB read on Nussmeier and his impact on the Bama offense.

18. rogdochar

rogdochar Senior Member

Oxbucks:
    $166
    Ratings:
    +6,408 / -33
    Well deserved "Thank You" '78. Enjoyed learning that independent knowledgable analysis. Plus it looks like UF players
    will be in good "hands-on".

19. OcalaGator83

OcalaGator83 Zook was better

Oxbucks:
    $29
    Ratings:
    +859 / -12
    I can only speak for me, but when I heard about this hire I kind of scratched my head a little bit, then looked at his immediate previous job (Michigan) and the troubles they had this year, and then felt like this wasn't a good hire. Then I thought about it some more and realized he will be running the HBC's offense, and then looked into his tenure at Alabama, and I feel much more comfortable with the hire now. As someone said previously, its a safe hire, and I'm not going to allow the dumpster fire that was Michigan this year to define the guy. After all, Muschamp hired "gurus" who were apparently successful at their immediately previous stops before coming here, and all of them turned out to be horrible (with help from his Mushiness, of course). So I'm fine with the hire, and I'm glad we've settled that we're cleaning house and getting rid of Durkin and Roper and bringing in the staff that McElwain believes he needs to succeed.

20. williston_gator

williston_gator Twitter junkie

Oxbucks:
    $4
    Ratings:
    +2,632 / -18
    Saw a blurb that UGA may have been after him once Bobo left. Im thinking that Mac may have been waiting for Napier with Nuss in the wings, but maybe couldn't afford to wait on Napier in case it fell through.