UF Hosting LSU Watch Party at The Swamp

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Fans will be able to watch the game for free in the stadium, north and west stands will be open, as well as the actual field for anyone who wants to attend. Food trucks will be outside the north entrance, and a few lots will be open for tailgating.

Pretty cool of the school to do this, although I'm not sure what the turnout will be.

https://floridagators.com/news/2016/11/9/football-lsu-watch-party-in-the-swamp.aspx

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
You think attendance will be bad? Or another reason?

Probably, but I'm more concerned once/if the game goes South. I could see some fans causing issues and vandalizing etc. It's a good idea, I just think with where the fanbase is makes it risky especially if we manage to lose to Muschamp.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Fans will be able to watch the game for free in the stadium, north and west stands will be open, as well as the actual field for anyone who wants to attend. Food trucks will be outside the north entrance, and a few lots will be open for tailgating.

Pretty cool of the school to do this, although I'm not sure what the turnout will be.

https://floridagators.com/news/2016/11/9/football-lsu-watch-party-in-the-swamp.aspx

Just a giant CYA after the fück to be here in the first place. Food Trucks :lol: Good God.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Probably, but I'm more concerned once/if the game goes South. I could see some fans causing issues and vandalizing etc. It's a good idea, I just think with where the fanbase is makes it risky especially if we manage to lose to Muschamp.
Don't worry, most of the posters on Gatorchatter don't attend games so I doubt they attend this.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Just a giant CYA after the fück to be here in the first place. Food Trucks :lol: Good God.
I think part of it is to at least try to help out the local businesses recoup what they lost by bringing in some fans for the day. Their hearts are in the right place. The home schedule next year is a pretty decent CYA, if you ask me.

Don't worry, most of the posters on Gatorchatter don't attend games so I doubt they attend this.
:burn:

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think part of it is to at least try to help out the local businesses recoup what they lost by bringing in some fans for the day. Their hearts are in the right place. The home schedule next year is a pretty decent CYA, if you ask me.

Since it's not an officially home game, may as well open it up for alcohol sales.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
They did this for the Auburn game in 1993 or 94, when I was at UF. Auburn was on probation and couldn't play tv. We lost to Terry Bowden. It sucked...

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
They did this for the Auburn game in 1993 or 94, when I was at UF. Auburn was on probation and couldn't play tv. We lost to Terry Bowden. It sucked...

1993, I believe 1994 was a home game.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This gives an opportunity who for fans who were originally going to travel to the game, a game to watch in the swamp with other fans. Instead of missing out on all of the experience and costs that went into planning the trip.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You haven't watched many of our games this year, have you? :lol:
Well, not what I was thinking, but maybe the fans can. I was actually thinking something like this would be taking place...

effigy4-dl.jpg

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Around '64 or '65 UF had a sanctioned bonfire in a practice field. It was huge. On each
side-slant there were 12' long 2x4s. Amidst max-roaring flames some drunk idiot ran up
one side-slant board and jumped to another. Had he slipped he would've been cremated.

So the next bonfire the officials limited the board size. Well, some frat-boys sneaked wood
atop one of the coaching towers and pushed out from the field onto the road. That flaming
tower went rolling down that asphalt-gravel in vibrations like a bad-wheel grocery cart. That
vibration shook off sparks & made the flames dance. It got up enough speed that when it hit
the concrete curb it tilted over to rest against a tall palm tree, setting the palm-frons alight.
So bonfire became fronfire.

Last edited:

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Jesus. Can you imagine if Rog's story happened today??!! They would call in homeland security.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well, I hope it brings in a couple 10s of thousands or more to help out the local businesses. That's what struck me the most on this whole ordeal with the Foley buckling... these economic days, losing a single game really makes a difference/hardship on a small business planning for the year. I suspect it truly hurt having the revenue essentially evaporate. Anything to help is a good move. IMO

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Back in 1969 the Gators opened with a stunning 59 -34 upset of the high-powered Houston Cougars at Florida Field. This was the first game of the Super Sophs --- John Reaves, Carlos Alvarez, Andy Cheney etc. It was not thought that Florida was going to be very good that year. I had watched the Orange and Blue game in the Spring and I could see that John Reaves was going to be something special as a drop back quarterback.

There was such excitement after this game. The Gators next game was on the road in Jackson, Mississippi against Mississippi State. Way before the division of the SEC into Eastern and Western Divisions, Mississippi State was a regular opponent on our schedule. A radio broadcast for this game with giant speakers was held at Florida Field and fans were invited to attend to listen to the game.

Of course, there were no jumbotrons then. Otis Boggs, the Voice of the Gators, called the game. What they had was a couple of UF students on the field with a football and they acted out the game as it occurred. The students sort of hammed it up and they got a lot of laughs from the crowd. The final score was 47 - 35 in favor of the Gators. In those days the two scores of 59 and then 47 was unheard of in University of Florida and SEC football history.

DeltaGlamma

Born a Gator
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Thanks for the history Okee, I grew up listening to Otis Boggs. Was talking to my dad the other day about this, how much things have changed from having to listen to games on the radio growing up to now being able to watch TV games (in color!) (in HD!) (on big screens!) almost every night of the week except Tuesdays. It has been nothing short of amazing.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, I do miss Otis... I mean Mic certainly has made his own mark of endearment, but Otis was radio and with my eyes closed, I could see the players and plays. Seriously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator