Recruiting UF Offensive Line Recruiting Board... who is left for us?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I'm hopeful for an improved offensive line this season...I'm skeptical that Summers is a long term solution for our offensive line woes..... Last year aside, 2014 should have shown much better results on the field with the experience that he had to work with, yet most of the time they were mediocre at best. If teams like UT, Arky and KU are putting better offensive lines on the field than we are for what seems like the last 6 or 7 years this guy needs to be gone....It won't take long to see where we stand on improvement this year IMO. If we aren't knocking the cream puffs on their ass in the first couple of games it could be a long season:suicide:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm hopeful for an improved offensive line this season...I'm skeptical that Summers is a long term solution for our offensive line woes..... Last year aside, 2014 should have shown much better results on the field with the experience that he had to work with, yet most of the time they were mediocre at best. If teams like UT, Arky and KU are putting better offensive lines on the field than we are for what seems like the last 6 or 7 years this guy needs to be gone....It won't take long to see where we stand on improvement this year IMO. If we aren't knocking the cream puffs on their ass in the first couple of games it could be a long season:suicide:

Sharpe and Ivey are 2nd team All SEC preseason. But Ivey was a 5* and Sharpe was a high 4*, borderline 5*.

I'd like to see how he does with the other guys.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Sharpe and Ivey are 2nd team All SEC preseason. But Ivey was a 5* and Sharpe was a high 4*, borderline 5*.

I'd like to see how he does with the other guys.
I think the biggest part of being a good offensive line coach is making ALL the pieces work together.....We've had a good number of offensive linemen get drafted over the last 6 or 7 years but we've rarely seen a good unit during that time. More than any individual accolades I want to see a position group function as one at a high level and punish the opposing teams defense with some kick ass physicality.....

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
yep, o line is one of those things where a bunch of lunchpale guys can wipe the floor against good teams while a bunch of blue chippers might look like hot garbage. coaching and getting them all working together is so important for that group, and that unfortunately is what I think weve been missing for at least 5 years.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Bad QB's can make good O-lines look worse or in our case: bad O-line look awful. Last year we had too much youth and inexperience and too little depth. No O-line coach could have fielded a decent unit with those challenges. In 2014, I thought the O-line was significantly improved from 2013. But Driskel and Harris certainly made the O-line look worse with their tendencies to hold the ball on too long and take sacks. It is no coincidence that the O-line gave up more sacks after the Grier suspension.

I think Summers is a good coach and this is the best year for him to prove it. He has a lot more depth and experience to work with, and I think the O-line will look a lot better this year and even better next year.

Recruiting is a concern; however, they have already brought in significantly more O-linemen than Muschamp attempted to recruit. I wonder if the problem for this year's class is that recruits don't like our depth chart. They see that we have a pretty young O-line already with young depth behind them, and they are worried that it will take 3-4 years to see the field. This isn't an excuse, but it is a possible obstacle to overcome. Hopefully when we field a better team and offense in the fall, recruits will take notice. Still lots of time left to bring in good players.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Bad QB's can make good O-lines look worse or in our case: bad O-line look awful. Last year we had too much youth and inexperience and too little depth. No O-line coach could have fielded a decent unit with those challenges. In 2014, I thought the O-line was significantly improved from 2013. But Driskel and Harris certainly made the O-line look worse with their tendencies to hold the ball on too long and take sacks. It is no coincidence that the O-line gave up more sacks after the Grier suspension.

I think Summers is a good coach and this is the best year for him to prove it. He has a lot more depth and experience to work with, and I think the O-line will look a lot better this year and even better next year.

Recruiting is a concern; however, they have already brought in significantly more O-linemen than Muschamp attempted to recruit. I wonder if the problem for this year's class is that recruits don't like our depth chart. They see that we have a pretty young O-line already with young depth behind them, and they are worried that it will take 3-4 years to see the field. This isn't an excuse, but it is a possible obstacle to overcome. Hopefully when we field a better team and offense in the fall, recruits will take notice. Still lots of time left to bring in good players.

Only the super prima donnas are going to look at the situation like that. ANy stud should see that if he really is a stud then he should be able to beat out the other lunch pail kids we brought in. Talent is talent and if you have it then it will make its way onto the field. Yeah, it's another excuse.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yep. Bama isn't having any issues bringing in top-tier offensive linemen regardless of depth.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yep. Bama isn't having any issues bringing in top-tier offensive linemen regardless of depth.

Bama is in a different situation than we are right now. That is how far we have fallen in the last 6 years. The fact they we are not in a similar situation as Bama. Bama is a haven for moving to the next level, we are "a team on the rise".

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Bama is in a different situation than we are right now. That is how far we have fallen in the last 6 years. The fact they we are not in a similar situation as Bama. Bama is a haven for moving to the next level, we are "a team on the rise".

Okay. Auburn, Georgia, FSU, USCw, Notre Dame, Michigan.

Shall I go on?

I understand what you're saying. I'm just saying that the perception that we have some type of deep offensive line and that being the reason why players don't want to come on board is ridiculous.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
And by the way, all those teams have better Lines than us. Michigan is going to South Florida and pulling one of our best lineman in Florida.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Okay. Auburn, Georgia, FSU, USCw, Notre Dame, Michigan.

Shall I go on?

I understand what you're saying. I'm just saying that the perception that we have some type of deep offensive line and that being the reason why players don't want to come on board is ridiculous.

We don't have a deep offensive line, but we aren't a spring board for the NFL either. We used to be just like the teams you listed, and more so than Auburn, Georgia, OKAy... but right now we are not. Especially at the offensive line position, 6 years of shotty recruiting and poor coaching.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Bama signed the #1, #2, and #18 ranked OL's in last year's class and have a bunch of highly ranked guys lined up again. I'm tired of excuses. This staff needs to start recruiting better talent at OL (and other positions) or McElwain needs to cut loose the dead-weight (and in this instance, it's Summers). I'm sure Summers is a decent coach, as he wouldn't have lasted this long in the profession. Sometimes it's best for both parties to part ways and make a fresh start.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
There was zero reason to retain anyone from Muschamp's offensive staff.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There was zero reason to retain anyone from Muschamp's offensive staff.
You must maintain one or two from the previous staff. I wish they had paid enough to retain and promote Travaris Robinson, but someone had to stay.

Imagine walking into an empty building and trying to figure out what is what. That's what happens if you don't retain some from the previous staff.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I remember a really mediocre looking UF OL dramatically improving when Galen Hall finally put Emmitt Smith back there to get the ball. I remember a really mediocre pass blocking OL looking quite good pass blocking once Spurrrier was the coach.

The point is that offense is a unit that must work together. Of course Spurrier's and Smith's come along rarely. UF had some good RBs last year and when they were in the game UF was able to run decently. Last year when UF had a credible QB, UF's OL was ok. So I for one do not see OL as the issue with the offense and I am sure UF will sign its share of good OL prospects now that it has a staff that somewhat knows what it is doing.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I remember a really mediocre looking UF OL dramatically improving when Galen Hall finally put Emmitt Smith back there to get the ball. I remember a really mediocre pass blocking OL looking quite good pass blocking once Spurrrier was the coach.

The point is that offense is a unit that must work together. Of course Spurrier's and Smith's come along rarely. UF had some good RBs last year and when they were in the game UF was able to run decently. Last year when UF had a credible QB, UF's OL was ok. So I for one do not see OL as the issue with the offense and I am sure UF will sign its share of good OL prospects now that it has a staff that somewhat knows what it is doing.

Taylor averaged 3.3 ypc vs. SEC teams. Do you think he is that mediocre or was the OL that bad? I'm not sure what you were watching, but the OL was as bad as our QB play....and as bad as our Kicker. The OL needs to improve. It needs 2 things: 1) better talent & 2) better coaching. You can't sugar coat this. It's bad. If we don't see significant improvement this year and McElwain retains Summers...well, I'd consider that the first nail in McElwain's coffin. I think McElwain is smarter than that though....and will address it if it's an issue again, like last year. The talent and depth is much better than it was last year, so there's no excuses for not seeing significant improvement.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Taylor averaged 3.3 ypc vs. SEC teams. Do you think he is that mediocre or was the OL that bad? I'm not sure what you were watching, but the OL was as bad as our QB play....and as bad as our Kicker. The OL needs to improve. It needs 2 things: 1) better talent & 2) better coaching. You can't sugar coat this. It's bad. If we don't see significant improvement this year and McElwain retains Summers...well, I'd consider that the first nail in McElwain's coffin. I think McElwain is smarter than that though....and will address it if it's an issue again, like last year. The talent and depth is much better than it was last year, so there's no excuses for not seeing significant improvement.

I agree we need to see improvement. That being said, we pulled off a miracle last year with what we were working with. I think albert and alberta got playing time last year.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

OL definitely needs to improve, but how much are last year's stats affected by defenses loading the box with little threat of a good passing game after TH took over?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
OL definitely needs to improve, but how much are last year's stats affected by defenses loading the box with little threat of a good passing game after TH took over?
A little of both, but it was painfully obvious our OL regressed as the year went on...as did our QB play. Some of that can be attributed to facing better teams, as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb