UF offers Kentucky QB commit

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
http://florida.247sports.com/Articl...70323_134941_Florida Gators&utm_content=Image

UK QB commit lands UF offer
Peach State signal caller committed to another SEC program lands Florida offer.

Lawrenceville (Ga.) Central Gwinnett quarterback Jarren Williams visited Florida on Thursday and says the Gators extended an offer while on campus. The 6-foot-2, 205-pound Williams is currently committed to Kentucky.

LSU, Tennessee, Missouri, and Mississippi State have also extended recent tenders to Williams.

The 247Sports Composite, an industry generated average, currently ranks Williams as the nation's No. 18 dual-threat quarterback in the 2018 class.

Author
Luke Stampini @LukeStampini

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I thought that other guy (forgot his name) was likely to choose us. Is that not the case anymore?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I thought that other guy (forgot his name) was likely to choose us. Is that not the case anymore?

Milton. It appears we've put all of our eggs in that basket, so I think this is us throwing out a couple of Plan B's in case Milton falls through. Milton is really the only blue-chip prospect that has us listed as his top choice (or at least he's predicted to commit to us). All the other blue-chip QBs are either committed elsewhere or are leaning elsewhere.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Here's another story on Williams, w/ quotes from his HS coach (by Zach A):

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...his-coach-discusses-interest-level-in-florida

A new QB target
Another week, another offer from the Florida staff at the quarterback position.

The Gators extended an offer Thursday to Kentucky QB commit Jarren Williams, a 3-star recruit from Lawrenceville, Ga. He received the news during his visit UF.

“He liked it,” said Todd Wofford, Williams’ head coach at Central Gwinnett. “He told me all the coaches he talked to were genuine. They told him their plans for him in the offense and they really rolled out the red carpet for him.”

Wofford has a longstanding relationship with Florida coach Jim McElwain and has been telling him about Williams for more than a year. Offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier evaluated the 6-foot-3, 210-pound prospect last spring and then he checked out UF in the summer.

“He wanted to get some more 1-on-1 time on today’s visit, and that’s what he got,” Wofford said. “He got a chance to meet with Coach Mac and Coach Nuss, just to get a feel for what they really think about him as well as a feel for their offense.

“They know he has a big arm. His grades are great and he has the character you want. They wanted to see him watch film. Today they realized that he’s a kid who checks all the boxes.”

The Gators offered 4-star quarterback Joe Milton (Orlando, Fla.) last week and Penn State QB commit Justin Fields (Kennesaw, Ga.) in late February. McElwain and Nussmeier are still waiting for someone to pull the trigger, and now Williams is in that mix.

He pledged to the Wildcats last June but has landed seven offers since then, including recent ones from LSU and Tennessee. Williams visited the Tigers last weekend and will continue considering other schools, according to his coach.

“Jarren has more offers now than he had prior to committing to Kentucky,” Wofford said. “All he’s doing right now is what I would suggest to any student athlete, which is weigh all your options and do what’s best for his future. He’s a sharp kid and that’s what he’ll do.

“You can’t just lock in to one school without giving yourself the opportunity to see other options. That’s only being fair to yourself. I tell all my players, this is the only leverage you’ll ever have as far as choosing where you want to play. You need to do your due diligence.”

Rising senior
Wofford has coached Williams for the past two seasons and said his quarterback is finally receiving the attention he deserves. He called Williams’ 3-star rating “ridiculous.”

“When he first came to me and I started reaching out to coaches about him, nobody knew who he was,” Wofford said. “So he was under the radar for a while and that kind of puts you behind the eight ball. You’re a 3-star by default. But he had a phenomenal junior season.

“He had 2,800 passing yards and 28 touchdowns, rushed for another 11. He threw the ball over 300 times and had just 4 interceptions, and half of those came in the playoffs. He didn’t throw a pick until Week 8. I’ve never had anybody who was that accurate.”

Williams is ranked as a dual-threat quarterback but Wofford considers him a pro-style passer who can run. He rushed for less than 500 yards last season, but averaged more than 4 yards per carry.

“He stands in the pocket and make all the throws. He just has the ability to hurt you with his feet on top of that,” Wofford said. “He’s very coachable and that kind separates him from a lot of kids these days who are prima donnas when they get all their offers.

“So Jarren is a special kid. He plays with a chip on his shoulder. I’ve had some top-level kids and he really impacts the game as much or more than anybody, and I’ve coached some pretty good ones.”

Wofford was the offensive coordinator for former Alabama quarterback Blake Sims at Gainesville (Ga.) High School. McElwain recruited Sims to Alabama and that’s when his relationship started with Wofford.

“Coach Mac is a phenomenal guy and I’ve known him for a while,” Wofford said. “Blake loves him with a passion. He took care of one of my players I coached in the past and for me, that’s all I can ask from any of the coaches. I think what he’s done in a couple years at Florida is great.

“Early on when I talked to him, he told me about how he would build that program. He’s done everything he said he would do. I know they’re one trigger man away from lighting up the scoreboard and competing with anybody in the nation. It’s only a matter of time.”

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
What a great article. An accurate, pro-style pocket passer who can run, doesn't turn the ball over, is coachable, plays with a chip on his shoulder, and is not a prima donna would seriously elevate our game. If what his coach said is true, I want him!

Last edited:

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
What a great article. This kid is an accurate, pro-style pocket passer who can run, doesn't turn the ball over, is coachable, plays with a chip on his shoulder, and is not a prima donna. If true, I want him!

You just described Trask.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I hadn't thought about it but I think you're right. Except maybe the part about playing with a chip on his shoulder?

Yeah, I'm not sure that part applies. Everything I've read says he's real humble. It's actually probably the one thing holding him back the most.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
I hope its not a plan B but a change in philosophy, we're 5 under the limit and have been for years. Bring in a 5 star a 4 star and a 3 star every year until the quaterback position is fixed once in for all, its been to long.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Awww....poor donkey. He hates to see our players talked about in a positive fashion. He has to dislike it because he hates being so wrong. Awww.....poor guy...do you need a hug Mr Donkey?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, Im such the soft, fuzzy, huggy guy. So glad you picked up on that finally.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If there is, this year's QB recruiting wouldn't be related or a result of it, IMO.

This group of recruits would be about replacing this current batch of quarterback as they leave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.