UF press conference live at noon on ESPN

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Zambo;n108486 said:
I hate that it didn't work out with Muschamp but he's been a stand up guy throughout. Frustrating since our defense has been so good the entire time. Just wish he could have fielded a more attacking, aggressive offense. Guess its just not in his DNA. Just simply afraid to throw the football.

He's too risk averse to field a dynamic offense. Very unfortunate because if he had, we'd be talking about putting a statue up of him in another six years. Could you imagine an offense that regularly put up 30+ points a game with a Muschamp defense? Sick.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
QueenCityGator;n108466 said:
I know this is a moot point, but he should have been fired even if he ran the table (the only exception would be if we won our games in "exciting" fashion). I think Foley (but not Muschamp) recognizes that fans don't want to see boring close games versus either inferior or somewhat similar opponents.

pretty sure there isnt a poster on this board that wouldnt take an unbeaten season even if it meant winning every game by 1 point. except maybe you.

after mizzou, running the table is the only thing that could have saved him, that includes the bowl. that would have put him at 9-3 on the year (10-3 if you count idaho). that would have required beating UGA, so car, and fsu and maybe even a trip to atl. You have a difficult time trying to justify a firing after that. Take your personal dislike for the guy out of it and look at that scenario objectively, you simply cant do it.
Luckily none of that matters now.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
G 2;n108457 said:
Foley asked about what it would have taken for Muschamp to retain his job. He said he needed to run the table. Both him and Muschamp thought it was going to happen.

I don't even believe that. I think a SC win and a close loss to FSU and he would have said he was returning.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n108493 said:
I don't even believe that. I think a SC win and a close loss to FSU and he would have said he was returning.
youre right, i mean why not lie about it after the fact :facepalm:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n108497 said:
youre right, i mean why not lie about it after the fact :facepalm:

We will never know I guess but that is like my opinion.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Zambo;n108486 said:
I hate that it didn't work out with Muschamp but he's been a stand up guy throughout. Frustrating since our defense has been so good the entire time. Just wish he could have fielded a more attacking, aggressive offense. Guess its just not in his DNA. Just simply afraid to throw the football.

I've posted almost the exact same thing. I can't figure it out.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n108520 said:
We will never know I guess but that is like my opinion.

Yup, no one should be believed ever.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Muschamp was infected with the Woody Hayes mentality.

You kids can look it up....

:peabody:

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
URGatorBait;n108491 said:
pretty sure there isnt a poster on this board that wouldnt take an unbeaten season even if it meant winning every game by 1 point. except maybe you.

after mizzou, running the table is the only thing that could have saved him, that includes the bowl. that would have put him at 9-3 on the year (10-3 if you count idaho). that would have required beating UGA, so car, and fsu and maybe even a trip to atl. You have a difficult time trying to justify a firing after that. Take your personal dislike for the guy out of it and look at that scenario objectively, you simply cant do it.
Luckily none of that matters now.

Many people besides myself are unsatisfied with the way we play down to inferior competition, even if we win. Sports is not just about results, but about entertainment (hence the empty seats), and Foley's statements about offense clearly show he understands both aspects. If Gator fans were satisfied by only the result, than the 11-2 season would be looked at as a resounding success instead of a fluke.
Lastly, he is absolutely a good citizen and coach off the field (and I don't think anybody would be in dispute), but on the field he deserves justified criticism. I wish him best of luck as DC at hopefully a non-SEC school.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
QueenCityGator;n108654 said:
Many people besides myself are unsatisfied with the way we play down to inferior competition, even if we win. Sports is not just about results, but about entertainment (hence the empty seats), and Foley's statements about offense clearly show he understands both aspects. If Gator fans were satisfied by only the result, than the 11-2 season would be looked at as a resounding success instead of a fluke.
Lastly, he is absolutely a good citizen and coach off the field (and I don't think anybody would be in dispute), but on the field he deserves justified criticism. I wish him best of luck as DC at hopefully a non-SEC school.

dont get me wrong, the on the field criticism is warranted, however you are going to be hard pressed finding people that would take 9-3 or 10-2 while scoring points over going 12-0 and winning by 1. If you win, the score simply doesnt matter.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
URGatorBait;n108846 said:
dont get me wrong, the on the field criticism is warranted, however you are going to be hard pressed finding people that would take 9-3 or 10-2 while scoring points over going 12-0 and winning by 1. If you win, the score simply doesnt matter.

You're correct without details. Games like LaLafayette 2012 are as unacceptable as the GSU game last year. They just are. Now if it was an isolated scenario, then that's a different story. Every great coach has a close game that he shouldn't from time to time. But when it's the same story again and again, even if you're ultimately prevailing by a few points, the logical fan knows that it's simply a matter of time before 1 or more of those games go the other way. Not to mention you inspire every single opponent you play with the mindset that they can hang with you and just maybe be able to pull the huge upset. Again, sooner or later, they'll get you.

No question, it's ultimately about wins and losses. But at the end of the day, you have to be able to step on an opponent's throat as well. So while fans may not be critical of the record, they'll definitely be critical of the fact that it's not a sustainable approach.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mudd;n108418 said:
I was unaware of this, just heard the loss of ball hurts
Any time you lose a ball it hurts.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
deuce;n108558 said:
Muschamp was infected with the Woody Hayes mentality.
Ray-Goff.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb