UF Pro Day

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I got stronger and slower. When I joined the Army over 20 years ago my best time in the two mile was 10:26 and I could only do 55-60 pushups in two minutes. Now my run is lets just say significantly less, and I max my pushups (75) in about a minute.

I can do about 75 push-ups in a minute. But I can't lift that much damn weight. I'm 6'3, 195. I normally do dumbbells instead of barbells. I have no idea how much I can lift but I normally do 5 sets of 10 with 185. Slowly getting less through the five sets. I do 5 sets of 10 with 75 pound dumbbells on each side.

I'm not sure why, but I've never really focused on hard core strength with my chest. My arms are a different story. I can curl a pretty significant amount of weight.

Where I would really like to build my strength is in pull-ups. I've been working at the gym for the last two months trying to increase it. I can only do eight. Pitiful.

I'm turning 41 in a couple months – I need to ramp it up. Maybe I'll work on increasing my bench strength. I probably should be able to bench 300 pounds. I just don't really work on it.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
So....J and NCO....when do you try out for Pro Day?

My fat arse will remain on the couch eating cheetos.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So....J and NCO....when do you try out for Pro Day?

My fat arse will remain on the couch eating cheetos.

I'm fast on pace to be a strong as when I was 19-years-old.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Terrible vertical. But really good bench press.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
When I was 24 years old and weighing about 160 lbs, I consistently threw up 225 in sets of 10. Now I fully admit I was a workout junkie and spent a good amount of time in the gym. But isn't that what these players are supposed to be doing anyway?

I'm 6' and 190ish now and 225 is a cakewalk. Im not built for power either, always been lean and fast. Triathlons are my thing. 9 reps at 225 by a freaking 300 pounder who is supposed to live and breathe strength and conditioning? Just shameful...

Yes....9 reps for a Division 1 Offensive Tackle is extremely weak. I'm in the same boat as you were in my youth. I was a professional firefighter and we pretty much worked out non-stop at the station. I was around 185lbs (at 5'11) and could do 15 reps of 225....now I'm 45 and I run 2000-3000 miles/year (I've run sub-3 hour marathons), so I'm a lot leaner and built differently (For all you youngsters posting here work on your cardio before you wake up and you're an old man!!).

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
I can do about 75 push-ups in a minute. But I can't lift that much damn weight. I'm 6'3, 195. I normally do dumbbells instead of barbells. I have no idea how much I can lift but I normally do 5 sets of 10 with 185. Slowly getting less through the five sets. I do 5 sets of 10 with 75 pound dumbbells on each side.

I'm not sure why, but I've never really focused on hard core strength with my chest. My arms are a different story. I can curl a pretty significant amount of weight.

Where I would really like to build my strength is in pull-ups. I've been working at the gym for the last two months trying to increase it. I can only do eight. Pitiful.

I'm turning 41 in a couple months – I need to ramp it up. Maybe I'll work on increasing my bench strength. I probably should be able to bench 300 pounds. I just don't really work on it.
Actually you are doing it right. The biggest increase in my bench press I noticed was when I was working with dumbbells only. I can no longer stabilize heavy weight with a dumbbell so I have to bench press only. Anyways... my work out was 10 sets of 10 on dumbbells with 10 sets of 10 pull-up's. At first I needed assistance on the pull-up's but after doing that twice a week for thirty days I didn't need it near the end. My bench went up 45lbs after that month. I noticed huge gains in my back and chest definition.

One thing I left off about my 10:26 two mile. When I came in the Army I was 5'8" 140 lbs. Now I am 5'10" 220 so that is the main reason I lost a lot of time on the 2 mile. The good news is I still can out run a good percentage of this X-Box generation.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
When young I got the masterful book "Mastering the Barbells". Boy, that book was heavy.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
When I was 28 and 150 I used to do sets of 10 at 235. 9 reps at 235 for an OL is pathetic. I have changed my workout to reps of 20 with lighter weights, after some medical issues.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I do 5 sets of 10 with 75 pound dumbbells

Dumb bells increase individual muscle strength better than the barbell, which creates a better workout.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Actually you are doing it right. The biggest increase in my bench press I noticed was when I was working with dumbbells only. I can no longer stabilize heavy weight with a dumbbell so I have to bench press only. Anyways... my work out was 10 sets of 10 on dumbbells with 10 sets of 10 pull-up's. At first I needed assistance on the pull-up's but after doing that twice a week for thirty days I didn't need it near the end. My bench went up 45lbs after that month. I noticed huge gains in my back and chest definition.

One thing I left off about my 10:26 two mile. When I came in the Army I was 5'8" 140 lbs. Now I am 5'10" 220 so that is the main reason I lost a lot of time on the 2 mile. The good news is I still can out run a good percentage of this X-Box generation.

I didn't realize the importance of working on your back until I started doing pull-ups. I could only do two pull-ups two months ago. Now I'm up to eight. But I would like to be at 20.

And I'm not talking about that kipping bullshyt.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Dumb bells increase individual muscle strength better than the barbell, which creates a better workout.

The dumbbells don't put pressure on my palms like the barbell does. Feels more natural.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The dumbbells don't put pressure on my palms like the barbell does. Feels more natural.

I have the opposite problem due to damage on my wrist and shoulder. The barbell is much easier to hold, but I still due the majority of my work with dumbells. Just have to wear a support at times.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
When I was 28 and 150 I used to do sets of 10 at 235. 9 reps at 235 for an OL is pathetic. I have changed my workout to reps of 20 with lighter weights, after some medical issues.

They actually do 225 (not 235) for the drill/test (at Pro Day/Combine). It's unbelievable he's that weak.....

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
They actually do 225 (not 235) for the drill/test (at Pro Day/Combine). It's unbelievable he's that weak.....

Yeah, I know.. fingers and mind not on the same page. I used to do 235, they do 225. It's pathetic he couldn't do 225 at least 10 times at the pro day... we aren't talking about during the season where their is wear and tear, but pro day 3 months after the season ended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator