UF running game vs UT et al

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
This is the aspect of the upcoming games that worries me. We all know that for the last 25 years, the team that has run the ball better has won the UF/UT game. We've owned this stat for years, but this year is likely going to be different. Our OL is still very much a work in progress and the run game has not looked dominant against anyone. I'd say UT has the advantage on paper in this area and it's an advantage that has been telling for the victor in the past.

Don't want to throw shade on our chances. I hope we kill 'em. BUT, this elephant has definitely taken a seat in the middle of the room and the coaches are going to have to figure out how we can win if the run game is completely taken away.

Can the D bail us out again? I don't know. But, I think our ground game is gonna look like full bore crap vs UT, Ole Miss, LSU, and UGA.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
UT is currently 70th in rushing defense while we're 7th. Meanwhile, their offense is 17th in rushing yards while ours is 81st. It's probably gonna be tough for either to run the ball and I like our secondary/DL hampering their passing game as the difference in this one.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I really don't think they'll be able to move the ball very much on us. Turnovers are going to be the big moneymaker in this matchup.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Need to make our FG's when the opportunity presents itself. Too many shanks and blocks so far. We'll run the ball on 'em, no worries there.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The biggest key in this one will be turnovers and more importantly who starts the fastest. If we get up something like 14-0, I think we will be just fine in this one considering our D is so good and the pressure would be on Tennessee. If we get down 14-0, I don't like our chances. Hopefully we start quick and beat the overinflated ego out of them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Dobbs is the wild card.

Will he turn turtle or play like a man? Only the shadow knows and he ain't telling.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
UT's LB's are garbage except for Reeves-Mabin and he is overworked and undersized. Their Middle Linebacker is some guy named Jumper, a walk on, who can't play a lick. He's the dude running three steps behind everyone when you watch their defense, or getting flagged for desperately holding some TE who just ran past him. Their other choice at MLB is some True Freshman who couldn't beat out the aforementioned Jumper. Aside from Barnett, none of their D-linemen are great run-stoppers, and that's actually not Barnett's strength either.

UF will out-rush UT, UF will win unless some fluky stuff happens like we miss 3 Field Goals or throw red zone INT's or give up a punt return TD, etc.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC;n283779 said:
UT's LB's are garbage except for Reeves-Mabin and he is overworked and undersized. Their Middle Linebacker is some guy named Jumper, a walk on, who can't play a lick. He's the dude running three steps behind everyone when you watch their defense, or getting flagged for desperately holding some TE who just ran past him. Their other choice at MLB is some True Freshman who couldn't beat out the aforementioned Jumper. Aside from Barnett, none of their D-linemen are great run-stoppers, and that's actually not Barnett's strength either.

UF will out-rush UT, UF will win unless some fluky stuff happens like we miss 3 Field Goals or throw red zone INT's or give up a punt return TD, etc.

Pretty accurate right here. Reeves-Maybin is pretty damn good, and played well against us last year. Think he even had a pick in the game. We're going to have to stick to running it even if
we aren't getting much YPC early. They're pretty good at rushing the passer, and protection obviously isn't our strength. For some reason I really see Calloway breaking out saturday. I'm not sure
whether it's going to be a long return , a reverse, or a quick pass he turns into a 70 yarder. For some reason I think he makes a big play and gets in the endzone for his 1st gator TD this week.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In the end Tennesse will Tennesse. And we will be on an 11 game winning streak. If our backs get to the second level, we rush well. If our line plays like Saturday, then it will depend on the arm of the quarterback.

I agree with MJM, it's the DL/Secondary which will be the difference in this game.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Their Dbs suck azz. They looked like a 1aa secondary vs Bowling Green. We should be able to throw ALL DAY LONG. Once we back their Dbs up fearing bombs over Hoggetowne, the running room will be there. We will run the ball in garbage time to kill the clock. I don't care much what our ypc is.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbait25;283800 said:
Pretty accurate right here. Reeves-Maybin is pretty damn good, and played well against us last year. Think he even had a pick in the game. We're going to have to stick to running it even if
we aren't getting much YPC early. They're pretty good at rushing the passer, and protection obviously isn't our strength. For some reason I really see Calloway breaking out saturday. I'm not sure
whether it's going to be a long return , a reverse, or a quick pass he turns into a 70 yarder. For some reason I think he makes a big play and gets in the endzone for his 1st gator TD this week.
They are actually terrible at rushing the passer and in sacks when you look at the stats. I think the keys to this game are:
1) Take the wind out of their sails by scoring quickly and often
2) Make them one dimensional by shutting down the run
3) control TOP by taking our time on drives. This seems to go against #1 above, but if we score each time we touch the ball and cause them to have 3 and outs then that is the same as what I mean for #1.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
G8RNGA;n283806 said:
They are actually terrible at rushing the passer and in sacks when you look at the stats. I think the keys to this game are:
3) control TOP by taking our time on drives. This seems to go against #1 above, but if we score each time we touch the ball and cause them to have 3 and outs then that is the same as what I mean for #1.

Couldn't you say this about every game?

Jand3k

I Don't Re Member
Sep 12, 2014
I had to re-check the URL as all this positivity is confusing me.

I'm not used to seeing such praise of our Gators on this website.

And I agree, the difference in this game will be the occurrence of turnovers and fluke plays.

If none of those come up then I think UF finds just enough to squeak out a victory!
:chomp:

IGTBAFG

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
G8RNGA;n283806 said:

We would easily be in the playoff if that happened. 20-24 ppg in league play could potentially win the east for us.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbait25;283813 said:
We would easily be in the playoff if that happened. 20-24 ppg in league play could potentially win the east for us.
The reality is that you can't do this every game because the opposing defense hasn't set itself up the way it does this week and our offense isn't doing enough. I believe Kentucky's defense is better than UTn. I've been wrong before, but this game may be the one where our offense looks the way we were hoping against Kentucky - much improved.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
My guess us this is why Treon is still in the conversation at QB. His ability to scramble and the fact that he's beaten UT before. Its going to be another low scoring game.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
G8RNGA;n283806 said:

Holy Cow! This is the formula folks! Quick, get Mac on the line, we need to get this to him stat! Why havent we been doing this all along?

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n283832 said:
My guess us this is why Treon is still in the conversation at QB. His ability to scramble and the fact that he's beaten UT before. Its going to be another low scoring game.

So Grier can't scramble? Pretty sure he can. Harris is in the conversation cause of his game experience but that's it.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJB;283888 said:
So Grier can't scramble? Pretty sure he can. Harris is in the conversation cause of his game experience but that's it.

Or maybe because Grier hasn't separated hisself and Mac has made that clear???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator