URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TLB;n284760 said:
​

I'm one of those who gives him credit for the win. Without TH, we end up losing with Driskel no question about it. You really want to hold up 17 yds passing as a stat? Why not put it in context, that he was in for only the fourth quarter, that he was 2/4 for passing (not that 50% is great, nor is attempting only 4 passes when you are trying to come back on the road) with zero interceptions (JD had 3 by then). His playing time is summed up as 22 total plays in the game - 4 passes where he connected with OUR team on half of them, 4 runs by him (up for debate on his decision making to tuck and run, but he got us 24 yds), a FG, a punt, and the other 14 plays were called runs with Taylor and Jones. You could argue he had up to 8 passing plays called (if you assume all his runs were supposed to be passes. But all in all, he got very limited time, very limited passing calls, and still led us to a come from behind victory, on the road in a hostile environment.

I'm not a TH supporter - I want whoever will get us the win. But I will argue he really does deserve credit for helping us get the win last year and will call BS on your pointing to 17 yds as meaning something other than we ran the heck out of the ball.

So, just like I said, he didn't "win" the game, he just didn't give it away like Driskel was.
Certainly you can see the difference. Anyone not turning the ball over would have won that game. He didn't go out there and made plays that won the game, he just was the guy that didn't throw a pick :lol:

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Ok, I'll concede that he handed the ball off very well. Multiple times.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
G8RNGA;n283806 said:
They are actually terrible at rushing the passer and in sacks when you look at the stats. I think the keys to this game are:
1) Take the wind out of their sails by scoring quickly and often
2) Make them one dimensional by shutting down the run
3) control TOP by taking our time on drives. This seems to go against #1 above, but if we score each time we touch the ball and cause them to have 3 and outs then that is the same as what I mean for #1.
Control the midline.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TLB;n284766 said:
Ok, I'll concede that he handed the ball off very well. Multiple times.
Greatest ever ;)

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n284763 said:
If anything, it'll be Dobbs scrambling that could potentially kill us.
I think you've hit the #1 key to shutting UT down, Squatch (twice now) - contain Dobb's, don't let him scramble, and make him throw. Hopefully our makeshift LB group can contain him if he gets by the front 4; and if he does get to the second level, let's hope Neal destroys him so he won't think about doing it again.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n284763 said:
I said this in another thread, but Jalen Hurd won't be the one hurting us on the ground. If anything, it'll be Dobbs scrambling that could potentially kill us. UT's rushing stats are horrifically inflated because they rolled up on Bowling Green and Western Carolina. They couldn't even manage 3 ypc against Oklahoma. We'll be the best defense they've seen this year by a longgggggggggggg shot.

As far as us running the ball on them, we just need to get the ball on the perimeter and keep them from stacking the box. Hell, use a bunch of quick screens to the wideouts as our running game if we can't get anything going with the RB's. It's worked against both ECU and UK. Or use that jumbo package a little more.

This is precisely what UF must do. Dobbs is not great at the long ball. Keep him hemmed up and make him pay dearly. I can see UF getting those 3 picks that Ox talked about. It would be epic if UF gets a quick and early lead on UToothless.

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
We will run the ball on them. They had better get all of the points they want in the first qtr because our defense is stingy thereafter.

A good defense makes you feel real goooood. I've been in Tenn all
week listening to them. Down deep I think they know what is going to
happen.

Will be home for the kickoff......

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n283804 said:
Their Dbs suck azz. They looked like a 1aa secondary vs Bowling Green. We should be able to throw ALL DAY LONG. Once we back their Dbs up fearing bombs over Hoggetowne, the running room will be there. We will run the ball in garbage time to kill the clock. I don't care much what our ypc is.
Spurrier was a master at this. He knew how difficult running the ball is in the early part of the game, with emotions running high, and always came out throwing. By the second half, he had the D looking for pass on every play. That's when he'd start handing it off. fck "establishing the run." Come out firing.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think you have a point there Pasty. BG torched UT all day long with the pass. I see UF doing something similar. UT is not ranked 78 in the country in Total D for nothing. I also think UF will have some success running against them. Watched the KY game again last night. Martez Ivey is going to be a beast. UF should have some success when they can hit the perimeter. That pitch play they run is quite effective. Mac seems to try and keep the line moving and scheme blocking with some perimeter runs. Hit UT with some effective passing like BG did and then bust em in the mouth and tee off.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbait25;n283800 said:
Pretty accurate right here. Reeves-Maybin is pretty damn good, and played well against us last year. Think he even had a pick in the game. We're going to have to stick to running it even if
we aren't getting much YPC early. They're pretty good at rushing the passer, and protection obviously isn't our strength. For some reason I really see Calloway breaking out saturday. I'm not sure
whether it's going to be a long return , a reverse, or a quick pass he turns into a 70 yarder. For some reason I think he makes a big play and gets in the endzone for his 1st gator TD this week.

I hate to quote myself , but i'll be damned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.