UF vs USC 1982 Video - Wilber Marshall obliterates USC offense

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
First time I've seen this. I was 7 years old when this game was played. Btw, Peace could sling the ball. I had no idea. But Marshall. Man he was a beast.

I've heard a lot about this game but this is the first time that I've ever seen this. Being off today has allowed me a little time to look for this video :)

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It was certainly quite a show. That game was a milestone for both Marshall and UF. Contrary to our history since the 90's, up until then UF had had a bit of an inferiority complex when playing big name institutions like USC and Alabama. Florida was always considered the sleeping giant who refused to wake up. Even though that wasn't a particularly good USC team they were still USC. Us beating them like that on national TV made a big statement about where Florida was heading and Marshall's performance made him a first round pick.

I remember the buzz in the stadium as the game wore on. First of all we were surprised we were beating up on USC and secondly, watching Marshall single handedly destroy the USC offense was mesmerizing.

Jax Gator

Founding Member
Swamp Thing
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I know where they got that video from. My 1982 Florida vs USC video posted on "GatorTorrents" (now defunct) back in 2006. It's been all over the internet since then. One dude was even trying to sell it to people for $20.00 years ago. The one I posted was the entire original broadcast of the game. The game was on a VHS tape until I transferred it to my hard drive, and then finally to a DVD. It now resides on two of my 8 external hard drives. I still have the VHS tape too...

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Jax Gator;n31259 said:
I know where they got that video from. My 1982 Florida vs USC video posted on "GatorTorrents" (now defunct) back in 2006. It's been all over the internet since then. One dude was even trying to sell it to people for $20.00 years ago. The one I posted was the entire original broadcast of the game. The game was on a VHS tape until I transferred it to my hard drive, and then finally to a DVD. It now resides on two of my 8 external hard drives. I still have the VHS tape too...

Well, thinks for sharing. I'd never seen any of this game until this video this morning. Just heard about it on this board. Glad to see it with my own two eyes what everybody else was talking about. Btw, those receivers were really good. Dwayne Dixon and Spencer Jackson had great hands. That TD catch by Spencer Jackson was phenomenal.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I was there. I can't count the number of times Wilbur rushed from the opposite side of the field and caught their RB in the backfield while rushing away from him. Classic and another hoarse day at the then green carpet. :lol:

James Jones, baby!

And you millenniums out there... take note of the noise at 72K

Jax Gator

Founding Member
Swamp Thing
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I was there also. I couldn't talk for two days after that game. When Charlie Pell came out to run around the stadium after the game, people went nuts!

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I was at that game, too, on a hotter than hell day with a plane flying overhead carrying a banner that read TROJANS POP UNDER PRESSURE. As divits said, there was a buzz in the air (and in the stands for that matter) as it represented the most important big game to date of the Pell era in terms of establishing Florida as a national power. We all knew Marshall was good coming in, but no one saw that coming. A monster game if ever there was one.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n31311]I was at that game, too, on a hotter than hell day with a plane flying overhead carrying a banner that read TROJANS POP UNDER PRESSURE. As divits said, there was a buzz in the air (and in the stands for that matter) as it represented the most important big game to date of the Pell era in terms of establishing Florida as a national power. We all knew Marshall was good coming in, but no one saw that coming. A monster game if ever there was one.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, remember the hot air balloon came up from behind the south end zone... nothing special per say, then rotated slowly to reveal the message, "Trojans are Disposable" it was crowd mayhem from there... good times man!

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorStud;31301 said:
And you millenniums out there... take note of the noise at 72K
The crowd noise is so loud that you can barely hear the announcers. My first thought was, "I didn't think the stadium was that big". Then I saw the attendance of 72,000. Now that was a passionate crowd!

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Oh man .... Rebel flags flags flying, making mixed drinks on the sidelines in red solo cups, girls wearing cowboy hats everywhere, and the Head coach running off the field with his arms in the air. Priceless.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n31316 said:
The crowd noise is so loud that you can barely hear the announcers. My first thought was, "I didn't think the stadium was that big". Then I saw the attendance of 72,000. Now that was a passionate crowd!

I'm not sure but it might have been one of the first games at Florida Field after the south end zone upper deck seating was added, which effectively closed that end of the stadium and really held in the sound. It didn't hurt either that there was a lot of partying leading up to game time, even if it was a midday start. That crowd was pretty jacked up.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gulfstream;31317 said:
Oh man .... Rebel flags flags flying, making mixed drinks on the sidelines in red solo cups, girls wearing cowboy hats everywhere, and the Head coach running off the field with his arms in the air. Priceless.

Half of the stadium look shirtless. And I noticed as well a lot of the girls had on cowboy hats.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
'78;31319 said:
GatorJ;n31316 said:
I'm not sure but it might have been one of the first games at Florida Field after the south end zone upper deck seating was added, which effectively closed that end of the stadium and really held in the sound. It didn't hurt either that there was a lot of partying leading up to game time, even if it was a midday start. That crowd was pretty jacked up.

Allow the students to leave to get some drinks and come back. The stadium will become raucous again.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n31311]I was at that game, too, on a hotter than hell day with a plane flying overhead carrying a banner that read TROJANS POP UNDER PRESSURE. As divits said, there was a buzz in the air (and in the stands for that matter) as it represented the most important big game to date of the Pell era in terms of establishing Florida as a national power. We all knew Marshall was good coming in, but no one saw that coming. A monster game if ever there was one.[/QUOTE]

I was there as well. I thought the banner said bust rather than pop. But I do remember it. Great day for the Gators.

...or maybe break...

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I was at the game as well. Marshall tortured Sean Salisbury that day. That was John Robinson's final year as USC coach, going to the Rams the following year. He went to the Gator locker room after the game to shake the hand of Wilber and congratulate him on his performance.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think you're right. I'm thinking bust. I remember laughing my ass off at the sight of that banner. It was a wild scene.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Was there too. One of the greatest individual defensive performances I've ever seen...college or pro. Wilber was just way too fast for anyone on their squad to slow him down. Good times.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I was 6 years old and cute as a button.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014