UF's Football Facilities

Discussion in 'Main Sports Forum' started by '78, Nov 11, 2017.

1. '78

'78 Dazed and Confused
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $567
    Ratings:
    +6,397 / -45
    I remember when the subject first came up, three or four years ago, maybe longer. Many people scoffed, many saw it for what it was, a potential sore spot on UF's (and Foley's) resume.

Law made a big deal of it. Many of you jumped his butt for being negative.

Now, in spite of a desperate effort at catch-up, we learn that the Florida job may not be as sexy as some would like to think because our facilities are seen as outdated and second-rate compared to our peers.

This in spite of our being one of the richest programs in America.

Ouch.

#1 '78, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  2. CaribGator

CaribGator new coach, new hope
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $21
    Ratings:
    +865 / -6
    Facilities are like the players stars, over rated

Diamond in the roughs coupled with a Nuss N' Nord combo is how to build championships, butters just needed another 4 years.

3. OcalaGator83

OcalaGator83 Zook was better

Oxbucks:
    $29
    Ratings:
    +859 / -12
    This is the first I've heard of it.

4. NavetG8r

NavetG8r Stupid

Oxbucks:
    $454
    Ratings:
    +9,287 / -61
    The right coach will bring in the revenue to fix it.

5. Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Stop steaming up my tail!
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $999
    Ratings:
    +23,930 / -486
    Dude, we have top 10 revenue. It's never been a revenue problem and has always been a slumlord issue.

6. '78

'78 Dazed and Confused
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $567
    Ratings:
    +6,397 / -45
    Call it speculative. The board has become one big questionable mass of speculation. There've been a few posts today from posters who report rumors of the facilities impacting discussions with Kelly and others.

7. ThreatMatrix

ThreatMatrix Who's ready for some offense!
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $450
    Ratings:
    +6,817 / -105
    Think most of us were on the need new facilities bus but whatever,
    In any case the news that we are relocating the baseball stadium for a football only facility is huge. Never dreamed in a million years that they'd do that. We are land locked on campus. Now we can build a facility to rival anybody and be on the forefront. Looks like Stricky is doing all the right things.

8. Swamp Donkey

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $999
    Ratings:
    +23,930 / -486
    There were those inside the ADs office pushing to keep up too. But not any of the kissazz assistant ADs.

9. BMF

BMF Junior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $248
    Ratings:
    +5,658 / -73
    You can go to any Gator message board on the Web and search for IPF threads. At least half the posters argued tooth and nail that we didn't need one - basically falling in lock-step with whatever Foley said.

Well, here we are, 9 years removed from the last season we were relevant....and our facilities still fall behind most of the SEC and much of the ACC.

10. DeltaGlamma

DeltaGlamma Born a Gator
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $20
    Ratings:
    +116 / -10
    And I believe I read those assistant ADs were retained, isn't that correct?

If so, bad move IMHO.

11. ThreatMatrix

ThreatMatrix Who's ready for some offense!
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $450
    Ratings:
    +6,817 / -105
    That had to be Stricky that got it done? Foley was trying to squeeze the football facility on a postage stamp. Funny thing isn't the only reason Foley is sticking around is to get the football facility done?

12. OcalaGator83

OcalaGator83 Zook was better

Oxbucks:
    $29
    Ratings:
    +859 / -12
    I was one of the ones who wasn't a big believer that the IPF was going to change our fortunes dramatically, but I have to admit I was wrong about the "facilities arms race," I really had no idea how awful some of our facilities are. The stories about showers not working and drains backing up and stuff, there's zero excuse for that stuff.

13. '78

'78 Dazed and Confused
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $567
    Ratings:
    +6,397 / -45
    I think it goes beyond the IPF. There's plenty about BHG that could use an upgrade as well. And, yes, it is an arms race. You either agree to the need to compete or your don't.

14. The Shady Grove Gator

The Shady Grove Gator Relapsed Wise-Ass
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $57
    Ratings:
    +257 / -9
    If it's construction is dependent on Foley doing something positive for the program...:waiting:

15. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $41
    Ratings:
    +1,472 / -39
    As far as the solvable issues with UF football go, in order they are:

1. Coaching
    2. Coaching
    3. Coaching
    49. Coaching
    50. Players
    51. Facilities

Football is not a fun game to practice. It is not that fun to play unless you are winning. It is not that fun to play on offense unless you are moving the ball and scoring. If you get good coaching and your players start having fun, you will get better players and if you want you can spend more on facilities. But it all comes down to coaches. This time UF needs to hire a guy who wants to coach UF. We don't need a guy like in 2002 with 16 eventual NFL picks in the next two years on his roster complaining about his lack of Jimmys and Joes. We don't need a guy like in 2011 who is only willing to coach one side of the ball (and that includes an offensive only guy too in my book). We don't need a guy like in 2015 who wants to come in and complain that the facilities are not good enough for him.

UF has fine facilities whether they have every bell or whistle or not. UF has plenty of talent to be good and if you play an attractive style you can get better players if the current players are not good enough. (Given the crap offenses played in the SEC now, particularly the East, can you imagine how many offensive players would be begging to come to any program than runs a decent offense.) The issue has and remains the Foley wouldn't know a football coach if one wanted to work for free for him.

#15 InstiGATOR1, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  16. AugustaGator

AugustaGator Junior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $112
    Ratings:
    +2,916 / -30
    Tear down the president's house, b-ball and track stadiums.

17. Swamp Donkey

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $999
    Ratings:
    +23,930 / -486
    Facilities aren't just what you guys think, golden fountains of gatorade or whatever. UF will never be that. It means efficiency. Remember that these kids do have classes and that schedules aren't that flexible. Also we have absolute time limits for practice and the NCAA means it. Rich Rod got busted for that at Meatchikin remember.

The things we want, like the football building gives position groups their own conference rooms with AV capability make things work. No lines in the hallway while the OL waits til the CBs leave the filmroom. More weight room stations. The trainers room will be right there. Plenty of things like that. Everyone will be housed right there together, the kids in the bowels cutting film will be just a few minutes from the trainers room, the HC, or anyone else. Even all the time they save walking back and forth etc allows the coaches and kids to get more done in a limited time.

It is simple efficiency. You with a business background understand.

18. AugustaGator

AugustaGator Junior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $112
    Ratings:
    +2,916 / -30
    We don't have multiple conference rooms? I'm thinking the biggest problem is lack of support staff.

19. Swamp Donkey

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $999
    Ratings:
    +23,930 / -486
    Not nearly enough. We need enough for all the position groups.

Support staff is a big problem too. All the big staff teams, Bammer, LSU, Barn, Ugly, FSUx, Clemson, OSU, Meatchikin etc have dozens more. Enough so basically immerse themselves in a subject, so reviewing film of one particularly team for like a year, til they KNOW every player, ever tendency. It's basically NFL level prep. You can see the difference watching the teams.

20. The Shady Grove Gator

The Shady Grove Gator Relapsed Wise-Ass
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $57
    Ratings:
    +257 / -9
    We are higher in the rankings of public universities but Meatchikin and they find a way to spend the money on facilities.