UF's insanely lucky 3rd down was key in comeback

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I haven't seen anyone talking about this. UF was down 31-14 and faced a 3rd and 8 when the ball was snapped over Franks' head. Franks makes a nice play to grab it on the bounce and roll out to the right. He then throws a dart to a receiver about 2 yards short of the marker that hits him and bounces straight up in the air and is caught by the receiver a couple of yards behind him, who falls for the first down.

In addition to that, the receiver (don't remember who it was) actually has the ball stripped away before he hits the ground, but the refs had already blown the play dead. It was the luckiest 3rd down conversion I can ever remember seeing in my lifetime and ended up being a huge play, as UF continued the drive down for a TD and a great comeback. With the bad luck this team has been subjected to since Tebow left, it was nice to have one bounce our way.

If I was a USCe fan, that play would have had me screaming like a madman.

Discuss.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
SCar fans were screaming about the "fumble," but his forward progress had been stopped and he was being pushed backward. Sometimes you need a little luck to get a win, and when you don't quit on a play, lucky bounces happen. Franks could have fallen on the bad snap or thrown it away, but he kept playing and fortune smiled on us. If we punt there, the game is over.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
The UF receiver had been lifted into air and was being driven backwards by 3 defenders. Good call.

You want to bitch about bad calls, look at the msu and Alabama game. MSU got hosed several times.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
All year long tipped passes either fell to the ground or the other team caught them. FINALLY, it went our way. :law: of averages...........

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
My first thought was, dear God, here we go again. What a crazy sequence of lucky happenings. It was as if the play was scripted from up above.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
IIRC (and I'm probably not), the LSU kicker or holder got a similar lucky bounce on a botched FG snap (or was it a designed fake where he fumbled?) in the 2010 game at the Swamp. They went on to score and seal the game.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
IIRC (and I'm probably not), the LSU kicker or holder got a similar lucky bounce on a botched FG snap (or was it a designed fake?) in the 2010 game at the Swamp. They went on to score and seal the game.

Refs screwed us on that play. You cannot advance a fumble on fourth down. We should have gained possession at the point ball hit the ground.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Refs screwed us on that play. You cannot advance a fumble on fourth down. We should have gained possession at the point ball hit the ground.
Coming on the heels of a crushing defeat in Tuscaloosa the week before, that loss pointed to the end for Meyer.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I haven't seen anyone talking about this. UF was down 31-14 and faced a 3rd and 8 when the ball was snapped over Franks' head. Franks makes a nice play to grab it on the bounce and roll out to the right. He then throws a dart to a receiver about 2 yards short of the marker that hits him and bounces straight up in the air and is caught by the receiver a couple of yards behind him, who falls for the first down.

In addition to that, the receiver (don't remember who it was) actually has the ball stripped away before he hits the ground, but the refs had already blown the play dead. It was the luckiest 3rd down conversion I can ever remember seeing in my lifetime and ended up being a huge play, as UF continued the drive down for a TD and a great comeback. With the bad luck this team has been subjected to since Tebow left, it was nice to have one bounce our way.

Discuss.

Maybe they should stfu and be thankful they got a muffed punt so they could score earlier.

Breaks, good and bad, happen in every game. Winners find ways to overcome the bad & capitalize on the good.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
It sucks as a team when the other guys get a lucky break.....but f vck them because they still had a 17 point cushion and failed to stop any of our what, next 25 plays??? I'm not a big believer that any one play decides a football game, they help of course but in this case we absolutely dominated the LOS for most of the 2nd half.

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
Or the Auburn game back in the 80's when the refs missed a clear pick 6 by our DB during the Charlie Pell era. That was a very long ride home to Gatortown for me...

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
The UF receiver had been lifted into air and was being driven backwards by 3 defenders. Good call.

You want to ***** about bad calls, look at the msu and Alabama game. MSU got hosed several times.
Phantom block in the back...horrible call.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe they should stfu and be thankful they got a muffed punt so they could score earlier.

Breaks, good and bad, happen in every game. Winners find ways to overcome the bad & capitalize on the good.

Maybe we finally exorcised ourselves of that bad Chimp juju, we finally made our last extortion payment to that POS and now the curse of the Chimp is on USCe.
r4r7iwV.png

The sign should say dumbest cock in Columbia.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think this play is overblown. We were playing Muschamp, AKA The Master of Disaster. He will always find a way to **** a game away in glorious fashion. If we don’t convert that 3rd down, they would have probably muffed the punt on 4th anyway. Losing is in his DNA.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Didn’t see this mentioned... As FF scrambled to his right, I saw what looked like a (albeit minor) face mask by the DE before FF got away from the rush. Since there’s no longer a 5yd incidental face mask penalty, the proper call would be 15 yds and an automatic first down. So, everything balanced out and nobody got hosed on that play.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016

Discuss.

I guess Champ still has terrible luck. Lol

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Discuss.

That was a designed play with nothing but execution and excellent coaching for knowing when to go to it. Well done, Mullen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb