UGA hires Tom Crean; Ole Miss gets Kermit Davis

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
UGA gave Crean $3.2 million/year x 6 years. WTF? That's the 10th highest paid coach in the country....and he got fired at his last job.

Looks like McGarity DID learn something from Foley after all....

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not really sure how this makes the SEC all that better...outside of 1 recruiting class Crean didn't do anything at Indiana

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Not really sure how this makes the SEC all that better...outside of 1 recruiting class Crean didn't do anything at Indiana

I think Crean is a better coach than Fox, but not sure he is a good fit at Georgia. We shall see.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
UGA gave Crean $3.2 million/year x 6 years. WTF? That's the 10th highest paid coach in the country....and he got fired at his last job.

Looks like McGarity DID learn something from Foley after all....
3.2 is about the going rate now, but 10th highest is nuts.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
3.2 is about the going rate now, but 10th highest is nuts.

Well, it's above the "going rate" if he's 10th in the country. I imagine after the season ends several coaches will get bumps in pay. But UGA basketball doesn't warrant that kind of salary (imo). But....like UF football, they missed on their first two targets. So the MO is - if we miss our top targets, go get #3 (or 4, or 5, or 6) and over-pay. And that's what McGarity did. I'm not sure why Crean wouldn't have accepted $2.5 million and been happy w/ it.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Well, it's above the "going rate" if he's 10th in the country. I imagine after the season ends several coaches will get bumps in pay. But UGA basketball doesn't warrant that kind of salary (imo). But....like UF football, they missed on their first two targets. So the MO is - if we miss our top targets, go get #3 (or 4, or 5, or 6) and over-pay. And that's what McGarity did. I'm not sure why Crean wouldn't have accepted $2.5 million and been happy w/ it.

I am actually a bit surprised he took Georgia. He likely didn't want to wait around for other potential offers. Being from a Marquette family, I have seen Crean for many years. Classy guy and despite his failure at Indiana, he is a good coach. I would have thought maybe Pitt was a better fit for Crean.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I am actually a bit surprised he took Georgia. He likely didn't want to wait around for other potential offers. Being from a Marquette family, I have seen Crean for many years. Classy guy and despite his failure at Indiana, he is a good coach. I would have thought maybe Pitt was a better fit for Crean.

Agree, he's a good coach....and Pitt would have been a better fit. Unless the new coach can recruit, they'll continue to be an NIT type team, going through coaches every 5 or so years. Fox was a good hire and did very, very well at Nevada. He just couldn't recruit. Crean came into a very bad situation at Indiana w/ them being on probation. Indiana still thinks it's the 1980's....they need to realize there's a lot more other schools out there that compete. He should have been given more time.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Kermit Davis is a Mississippi State grad. If he doesn't do good at Ole Miss he's going to be about as popular in Oxford as Will Muschamp was in Gainesville.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator