Under Armor All American Game Thread

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014

Gatewood can't throw the ball all that well...

I know you guys get hung up on Mullen's use of the QB to run but he has coached 2 top-25 passing offenses in the last 4 years.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
N
Weird... thought we hired a guy who has coached two top 25 passing offenses in the last four years and not Taggart.

Law has gone off the deep end. Mullen doesn’t have his QB run the amount he’s saying. Not even close. Mullen has had multiple 3000 yard QBs.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Hard to know what is catchable, but one of Jones's passes went right by the receiver. Receiver reached out and touched it as if playing tag.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014

Dan Mullen has averaged 3,140 yards passing a season since 2005.

I get what you're saying about setting up the pass but I watched him take Chris Leak and make him functional passer in his offense. I think you over estimate how much we need a "runner" at QB

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone else think Copeland looked meh? I want the guy to be a Gator but he ran in circles more than going east/west

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Yup, law first mentioned it but anyone that watches and knows a bit about football can pick up on it easily. Mullen and Malzhan do the exact opposite with the backs and qb from the run game perspective. While mullen has the qb run the power stuff (up the gut, between the tackles) and has the backs take most of the outside stuff, malzhan has the qb take the outside stuff while the backs take the inside stuff.

Mullen needs a big strong thick kid to handle those inside blows while malzhan needs someone who is quick with a good first step and when each of them had that, they were great. See tebow for mullz and nick marshall for malhz. SEC titles and natty champ game births for each.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone else think Copeland looked meh? I want the guy to be a Gator but he ran in circles more than going east/west
And when he fumbled it looked like he was pouting. Maybe he is "all that". But he needs to learn most players at P5 are "all that".

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yup, law first mentioned it but anyone that watches and knows a bit about football can pick up on it easily. Mullen and Malzhan do the exact opposite with the backs and qb from the run game perspective. While mullen has the qb run the power stuff (up the gut, between the tackles) and has the backs take most of the outside stuff, malzhan has the qb take the outside stuff while the backs take the inside stuff.

Mullen needs a big strong thick kid to handle those inside blows while malzhan needs someone who is quick with a good first step and when each of them had that, they were great. See tebow for mullz and nick marshall for malhz. SEC titles and natty champ game births for each.

See Chris Leak

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
N

Law has gone off the deep end. Mullen doesn’t have his QB run the amount he’s saying. Not even close. Mullen has had multiple 3000 yard QBs.
Exactly. Two times in the last twelve years. Also, when you are playing 13 to 15 games, 3000 yards isnt that much, not the yardstick it was in 10-12 game seasons.... much the way "10 WINS!" doesnt mean shyt today.

Last edited:

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
We get it. He runs a run heavy spread. When he has talent at QB he has a more than ok passing attack, that, even with bad passing seasons, still manages 3140 passing over 12 seasons. When the talent is there, his offense rolls on all levels. We’ve seen it first hand. 6 paragraphs of opinion trying your hardest to polish that turd into fact isnt going to ever happen. With the talent we are going after, theres a strong possibilty this offense is going to start rolling.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Bill Sikes did some good stat comparisons against Willie Taggarts offenses, which is also run heavy

You can keep complaining about, but its way better than what it could have been if we got Bill T as our coach.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
See Chris Leak
You're proving my point. The offense was pedestrian those first 2 seasons and what made it really take a step forward was moving to a more traditional style and giving Leak a fullback. I think that was more Meyer than Mullen as Meyer has done some modifications over the years while mullen when in charge, has pretty much stuck to the qb power formula.

And Slev, I dont really see anyone complaining. We're just discussing Xs, Os, personnel, and offensive philosophies. It's gonna be ok good buddy.

:therethere:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We get it. He runs a run heavy spread.
He does. It is what it is. He has shown some ability to adapt however when he has a QB who can throw (ie Tebow in 2007 and the last two years of Dak). But it certainly isnt his first inclination.

Im not really that worried about the QB being a fast runner vs a power running. We actually flipped the offense for Tebow. Flipping it back w our stable of powerful backs taking inside and Franks and EJ running outside is easy enough.

As for Taggart vs Mullinz, that one is easy. Taggart is a known (bad) quantity. Only a few fools bought that Taggart is the Savior bs.

I trying to learn to live w Mullinz. Hopefully he will continue surprising us. I think his only other influence was Bob Davie and Co. Therefore it's not surprising that he runs NDs old offense. Perhaps we will actually see him listening and taking a bit about exploiting defenses vertically and adding some concepts to his repertoire. On that front, he seems more likely to adapt (and survive) than the last hygiene challenged buffoon.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
that's good if only to show that he's interested protecting the back of his potential quarterback.
Copeland is going to be a Gator. I'd be shocked if he picked Bama. I think he's always wanted to be at UF but Butters and Dumpsterfire made that decision easy. With the guys we are in on now, I'd be shocked if this (transition) class isn't top 10 by the end

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You're proving my point. The offense was pedestrian those first 2 seasons and what made it really take a step forward was moving to a more traditional style and giving Leak a fullback. I think that was more Meyer than Mullen as Meyer has done some modifications over the years while mullen when in charge, has pretty much stuck to the qb power formula.

And Slev, I dont really see anyone complaining. We're just discussing Xs, Os, personnel, and offensive philosophies. It's gonna be ok good buddy.

:therethere:

Pedestrian....wtf...Leak's passing led us to the MNC with Mullen calling the plays....sometimes your theories just baffle me. Mullen is full well capable of using the talent available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.