Undisputed G.O.A.T. Thread

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This one is unquestionably not true. He was not even the greatest player of his era. The clearly greatest player of his era was a 6'9" PG who could play center in a pinch in the NBA finals. Talk about being able to guard 5 positions, he could play all five positions.
Lebron played after micheal, man. You have it mixed up.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Great post. The only players who I can think of that compare as far as dominance and all-around ability are concerned are Mays, Griffey, and Aaron.
Yeah, griffey dominated from the IR. Lol

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Babe Ruth - in 6 seasons as a pitcher he won 94 games, struck out 488 and had an ERA of 228. Imagine how many homeruns he would've had if he had spent his whole career with the Yankees. And exactly how sober was he during his career?

Griffey Jr was an incredible talent. He missed 260 games in his prime and still managed 630 career homeruns. He was also a great defensive player.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If we're judging all-around talent, the best I ever saw on a baseball diamond were:

1) Mays
2) Clemente
3) Mantle

Yeah, Ruth was a successful pitcher, blah-blah-blah. He was also a fat chub who probably wouldn't do jack shyt around today's game. One guy who always gets under appreciated here is Mantle. Early in his career, he was probably the best all-around player in the game. Knee issues and alcoholism robbed him of what could have been an even better career than he had.

Another guy who probably deserves mention for all-around prowess is Jeter. How many guys did what he did year in and year out over that long a period? He was the definition of money. As time goes by, his name will probably start popping up in the discussion of best ever.

Clemente was hands down the best defensive outfielder to play the game.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Lebron played after micheal, man. You have it mixed up.

Ha! I certainly think about where James will end up in this pecking order when these discussions come up. I don't know if James could play center in the finals ala Johnson, but certainly James can handle the ball, has good court vision and can rebound.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If we're judging all-around talent, the best I ever saw on a baseball diamond were:

1) Mays
2) Clemente
3) Mantle

Yeah, Ruth was a successful pitcher, blah-blah-blah. He was also a fat chub who probably wouldn't do jack shyt around today's game. One guy who always gets under appreciated here is Mantle. Early in his career, he was probably the best all-around player in the game. Knee issues and alcoholism robbed him of what could have been an even better career than he had.

Another guy who probably deserves mention for all-around prowess is Jeter. How many guys did what he did year in and year out over that long a period? He was the definition of money. As time goes by, his name will probably start popping up in the discussion of best ever.

Clemente was hands down the best defensive outfielder to play the game.

I think the fact that Ruth was an alcoholic fat chub is even more evidence to how great he was. What if he had actually taken care of himself and didn't drink during games? He probably would've had well beyond 800 home runs in his career and that's with playing fewer games in a season. You also just said that alcoholism helped rob Mantle from even further greatness. Wouldn't that be true for Ruth too or was Ruth so great that alcoholism couldn't stop him?

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's debatable. I think at his best, Tiger was better than Nicklaus at his best, but Tiger's career was cut short by injuries. Nicklaus was great for a much longer period of time. If there's a dispute, then it's not indisputable, right?

Alex.

Bobby Jones was the GOAT in golf.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think the fact that Ruth was an alcoholic fat chub is even more evidence to how great he was. What if he had actually taken care of himself and didn't drink during games? He probably would've had well beyond 800 home runs in his career and that's with playing fewer games in a season. You also just said that alcoholism helped rob Mantle from even further greatness. Wouldn't that be true for Ruth too or was Ruth so great that alcoholism couldn't stop him?

I have no doubt that Ruth's numbers would have been even greater had he taken better care of himself, but that wasn't my point. My point was speculating how well he would do against modern players. Even with his personal frailties, Mantle was a man amongst boys. He'd be a 40-HR player today.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Barry Bonds ?

:bananawave:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Harry Potter is hands down the best quittage player of all time.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Ladies and Gentlemen... I give you Kevin Martin - Curling's GOAT:

1302589932181_ORIGINAL.jpg

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Hockey player - Wayne Gretzky

Skateboarder - Tony Hawk

I don't know if we can have a more general track and field category for Carl Lewis because what he did was pretty amazing.
Surfer, Kelly Slater. 12x world champ, retired came back and won a couple still highly competitive and is over 40. Has won in small surf and huge Waimea.

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Can't agree on Jordan. Single most dominant player - Chamberlain (100 point game, 30 points and 23 rebounds per game career average, and they didn't even count blocks back them). Best team player - Russell (11 titles in 13 years). Best five-position player - Magic Johnson. Jordan was great, but not the greatest.
Jordan changed the NBA

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Surfer, Kelly Slater. 12x world champ, retired came back and won a couple still highly competitive and is over 40. Has won in small surf and huge Waimea.

Another good one.

Alex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator