Updated coaching candidates

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We've been speculating for weeks and some coaches have risen, others have dropped some. I firmly believe that UF will always have a good to great defense based purely on our ability to recruit great athletes. Knowing that, we simply MUST find an offensive-oriented coach with an aggressive, go-getter approach to scoring major points. Here's my updated list;

At least make the call; Chip Kelly, Jim Harbaugh, Gus Malzahn. And of these three, I like Harbaugh the least. Kelly is a very long shot, and I think Malzahn would listen and may be tired of being second fiddle in Alabama and I think UF is a better job than Auburn.

Still A-listers but dropping a little: Kevin Sumlin, Bob Stoops and James Franklin. Sumlin is starting to worry me with the inconsistencies at TAM. I still think he'd turn around offensive recruiting at UF literally overnight. I still think he'd be a strong hire. The question about Bob Stoops is, has he lost it, or is he just due for a serious change to reinvigorate himself and another program. I simply think he's been at OU too long. Franklin was my main man about a month ago, but Penn State has just sorta been blah of late.

Next best: Dan Mullen and Hugh Freeze. Offensive minded, young, SEC experience. Either could win big and consistently at UF.

Candidate on the rise; Lane Kiffin. I know, it'd make a puke a little, but other than the fact that he pissed us all off while briefly at UT, the guy can coach offense, PERIOD. Shouldn't the UF coach be a little smug, arrogant? Hell, am I alone in missing the days where our fan base was referred to at LOGs (loud, obnoxious, Gators). The lack of success at USC does concern me, however, and he'd be a risky hire.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC;n106806 said:
Candidate on the rise; Lane Kiffin. I know, it'd make a puke a little, but other than the fact that he pissed us all off while briefly at UT, the guy can coach offense, PERIOD. Shouldn't the UF coach be a little smug, arrogant? Hell, am I alone in missing the days where our fan base was referred to at LOGs (loud, obnoxious, Gators). The lack of success at USC does concern me, however, and he'd be a risky hire.
:facepalm:

Not even Foley is dumb enough to hire a guy universally despised by the Gator Nation, especially after what we just went through. And the guy is an AWFUL head coach. Awful.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The only somewhat possible person on that list is Franklin

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think you're expectations are a little high. I also don't think kiffin will get a phone call.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n106824 said:
:facepalm:

Not even Foley is dumb enough to hire a guy universally despised by the Gator Nation, especially after what we just went through. And the guy is an AWFUL head coach. Awful.

I know, I know, that's why he was last on my list. Maybe I'm still in desperation mode, but I could see Kiffin beating people unmercifully at UF. And I miss those days. Having said that, he is way down on my list and will be way down on Foley's as well.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I literally would not give UF another dollar as long as Lane Kiffin was the head coach.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TIER I: Kelly, Harbaugh

Nobody on Tier I is coming.

TIER II: Briles, Patterson, Peterson, Stoops

TIER III: Sumlin, Freeze, Franklin

And hell no to Malzahn and that gimmicky ass offense. There's a reason that offense is starting to stall.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Here's a candidate that could pop up. Brian harsin. Hes part of that Arkansas st head coach pipeline. He's 8~2 at Boise st right now and their offense is really humming. He was their offensive coordinator through one of greatest stretches a mid major has ever had. He turned the Texas offense around and when he left it fell apart. He fits the bill of young up and comer who's offensive minded, wich I expect Foley to go after. And the last time we hired a coach out of the mountain west we won 2 championships

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
G 2;n106849 said:
I literally would not give UF another dollar as long as Lane Kiffin was the head coach.

I haven't given UF a dollar since the Alabama game. I listed 9 names, Kiffin was last. If we get to the 9th name on Foley's list, y'all better hope it's someone who can coach offense as well as Lane Kiffin. Your butthurt will last about 3 games and when we're averaging 50 points a game, you'll be unbutthurt like the rest of us, after 4 years of not being able to throw a freaking forward pass.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I really like the idea of getting Gary Patterson from TCU if possible. I don't think Briles would come to UF... he loves Texas.

Franklin is a possibility. I don't think Stoops will come. Calling Malzahn would be a waste of time... no reason for him to leave Auburn. Sumlin won't leave A&M.. they will pay him, Kelly won't leave, but would be a great hire.

I could see Mullen, but I doubt Freeze.

I honestly think it is not going to be anybody on the list. I'm hoping for Patterson.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n106837 said:
The only somewhat possible person on that list is Franklin

I doubt it. He gets like 4 million guaranteed which goes well over 5 million I think if he wins the Big 10.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n106861 said:
Here's a candidate that could pop up. Brian harsin. Hes part of that Arkansas st head coach pipeline. He's 8~2 at Boise st right now and their offense is really humming. He was their offensive coordinator through one of greatest stretches a mid major has ever had. He turned the Texas offense around and when he left it fell apart. He fits the bill of young up and comer who's offensive minded, wich I expect Foley to go after. And the last time we hired a coach out of the mountain west we won 2 championships

No. Just my opinion.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Zooker coming back home?? LoL it has to be a young up and comer with vast knowledge of offense. Let's get someone good!! Go Gators!!

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n106861 said:

: maybe it was before Pease. I see now that is a good track record.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think any coach on his way to the playoffs is going to leave his school. Plus I'm not high on Patterson. To be a defensive guy his defense sucks balls and they went 5~7 last year

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I'm open to the idea of Zook returning, actually. He was given a raw deal.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
By the way, I'm desperately hitting up every source I have for names. All I've been told is:

I know it’s a list of 5: young, head coaching experience, SEC knowledge/experience and offense-minded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator