Updated mock draft

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think Wilson goes before Tabor also after that 40 time mess. That is something you can't ignore with a CB. Wilson may not be a speedster either but his time is at least where other top CBs in the NFL have been before.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
You'd think Tabor would fall further given that turrible 40 time. Would be a steal any lower than 2nd round IMO

He puts up nice film and you wouldn't know he is that slow if you watched the games. It's odd how bad his 40 time was.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He puts up nice film and you wouldn't know he is that slow if you watched the games. It's odd how bad his 40 time was.
I wonder if there wasn't something else going on there...either that or he's just really really good in coverage, enough to make up for the speed difference more often than not.
Thinking back though, there was a number of times he got burned by some speedy receivers.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I wonder if there wasn't something else going on there...either that or he's just really really good in coverage, enough to make up for the speed difference more often than not.
Thinking back though, there was a number of times he got burned by some speedy receivers.

I don't recall it being a number of times, but maybe I'm just forgetting. I know baby Tenn he got burned on a double move, but that happens to a lot of DB's. Time will tell if he's any good in the pros, I know I'll be rooting for him (even if he shoots his mouth off too much lol)

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I don't recall it being a number of times, but maybe I'm just forgetting. I know baby Tenn he got burned on a double move, but that happens to a lot of DB's. Time will tell if he's any good in the pros, I know I'll be rooting for him (even if he shoots his mouth off too much lol)

IF?

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You would think somebody would have noticed his forty time before the combine.

Every talking head in college football declared Teez a top ten pick for the last two years but nobody noticed or inquired?
Explain to me again how people like Todd McShay make a living?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Every talking head in college football declared Teez a top ten pick for the last two years but nobody noticed or inquired?

I'll try to explain.... He's employed to essentially be a "NFL draft analyst". So he does interviews, consults with, attends pro-days/the combine, etc. He gets his information from scouts, NFL coaches, college coaches, college analysts, etc. It's basically what anyone does who has a job like this (Kiper, McShay, Mayock, Matt Miller). So, anything you hear them say....they basically got it from their "sources". They are simply relaying to the public what they are hearing behind the scenes. They have a staff that help them do their jobs, research, make phone calls, get texts/updates, etc.

Regarding Tabor and his 40 time; I don't think anyone knew he was that slow. When has he run a timed 40 that any of us know about? This is why he is no longer considered a top 10 pick...or a 1st round pick. So, in regards to McShay, it looks to me like he did his job. He saw the results from the combine/pro day, spoke to scouts, NFL coaches, etc.....and determined he was not a 1st round pick.....and when he released his "updated" mock draft it reflected the updated information. Looks like to me that he did his job just as he's paid to do.

In my experiences, reading message boards over the years, most people who question McShay, Kiper, Miller, and/or Mayock basically have a bone to pick (i.e. "their" favorite college player is rated lower than THEY think the player should be rated. Perfect example is Tebow. If it was up to Gator message boards he'd have been the #1 pick in the draft no question about it!).

Mock drafts will never be 100% correct due to a number of factors: a team makes a surprise pick (like taking a Kicker in the 2nd round) or a trade happens and instead of Cleveland picking #1 someone else gets that pick and it's a domino effect. I would imagine that at least 25 of the 32 players in most 1st round mock drafts are - at least - selected in the 1st round.

An example of these analysts doing their jobs well; there is a OL named Forrest Lamp from Western Kentucky projected as a 1st rounder. WTF is Forrest Lamp? Well, after gathering information on the kid from scouts, coaches, the combine, etc it was projected he's a top player. There's a TE from Ashland (OH). ASHLAND, OHIO? picked to be a 2nd rounder. How does McShay "find" this kid? He doesn't. He's told by his "sources" and there you go.....

It's not rocket science for these analysts. Basically you just listen to what people who do know what they are doing and you put your own little spin on it.

Otherwise, you can follow Gatorchatter (or other Gator message boards) and wonder why our guys weren't the top 10 players taken....

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Scouts have been questioning his speed since the beginning of the season, the 40 just confirmed those questions.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Scouts have been questioning his speed since the beginning of the season, the 40 just confirmed those questions.

How many times did he get burned on the field? He was not our best corner. I hope he does well anyhow.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
How many times did he get burned on the field? He was not our best corner. I hope he does well anyhow.

The question is when he was against equal or better talent when did he get burned. Or when did he miss coverage. or what has been pointed out on the NFL network combine coverage: When did he get a defensive holding call, because he couldn't change gears (which happened a number of times this year).

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'll try to explain.... He's employed to essentially be a "NFL draft analyst". So he does interviews, consults with, attends pro-days/the combine, etc. He gets his information from scouts, NFL coaches, college coaches, college analysts, etc. It's basically what anyone does who has a job like this (Kiper, McShay, Mayock, Matt Miller). So, anything you hear them say....they basically got it from their "sources". They are simply relaying to the public what they are hearing behind the scenes. They have a staff that help them do their jobs, research, make phone calls, get texts/updates, etc.

Regarding Tabor and his 40 time; I don't think anyone knew he was that slow. When has he run a timed 40 that any of us know about? This is why he is no longer considered a top 10 pick...or a 1st round pick. So, in regards to McShay, it looks to me like he did his job. He saw the results from the combine/pro day, spoke to scouts, NFL coaches, etc.....and determined he was not a 1st round pick.....and when he released his "updated" mock draft it reflected the updated information. Looks like to me that he did his job just as he's paid to do.

In my experiences, reading message boards over the years, most people who question McShay, Kiper, Miller, and/or Mayock basically have a bone to pick (i.e. "their" favorite college player is rated lower than THEY think the player should be rated. Perfect example is Tebow. If it was up to Gator message boards he'd have been the #1 pick in the draft no question about it!).

Mock drafts will never be 100% correct due to a number of factors: a team makes a surprise pick (like taking a Kicker in the 2nd round) or a trade happens and instead of Cleveland picking #1 someone else gets that pick and it's a domino effect. I would imagine that at least 25 of the 32 players in most 1st round mock drafts are - at least - selected in the 1st round.

An example of these analysts doing their jobs well; there is a OL named Forrest Lamp from Western Kentucky projected as a 1st rounder. WTF is Forrest Lamp? Well, after gathering information on the kid from scouts, coaches, the combine, etc it was projected he's a top player. There's a TE from Ashland (OH). ASHLAND, OHIO? picked to be a 2nd rounder. How does McShay "find" this kid? He doesn't. He's told by his "sources" and there you go.....

It's not rocket science for these analysts. Basically you just listen to what people who do know what they are doing and you put your own little spin on it.

Otherwise, you can follow Gatorchatter (or other Gator message boards) and wonder why our guys weren't the top 10 players taken....

I kinda knew all of that, I was simply implying that if the so called experts actually researched something instead of merely repeating what they have heard, they would have more credibility. Others on here have suggested that everyone knew he wasn't very fast then why did the "McShay's" of the world have him listed as a top 10-15 pick up until the combine?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I kinda knew all of that, I was simply implying that if the so called experts actually researched something instead of merely repeating what they have heard, they would have more credibility. Others on here have suggested that everyone knew he wasn't very fast then why did the "McShay's" of the world have him listed as a top 10-15 pick up until the combine?

Again, because that's what the scouts, nfl coaches, GM's, etc were saying.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

There have been rumors since before the season that Tabor didn't have elite speed, but a lot of guys preparing for the draft will work on flaws of their game during the offseason before they go pro. The previous season he had an elite corner on the other side who took the other teams best receiver, which provided Tabor with the second receiver. Against most of the opponents we played Tabor was fast and savy enough to make up the difference in lack of speed. Teams took a harder look at his tape this season (because he was now draft eligible) and studied questions in his game. As the season wore on those questions were increased, with the number of times you would see a receiver coming back to the huddle with his jersey pulled or a defensive holding penalty. Then those questions were verified at the Combine, but Indianapolis is traditionally a very slow track. A number of players will have a slower Combine time, than pro day time. The pro day time was the final nail in the coffin. McShay was reacting to research by teams, and research for himself. I'm not the biggest McShay fan, but he does his job as well as expected. I prefer the guys at the NFL network, but I think they are giving more access due to the fact the NFL owns the channel (so vested interested).

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016

Great questions.

Edit: No disagreement with the follow-up posts. I stand by my comment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.