Updated: Suspended Players Update #1003

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And I remember you specifically saying anything over 100'was a felony.
Yes. You're on a roll.

(I actually just did a quick google search of that. I'm not 100% by any means but I certainly said it and still believe to be true without further research. There are however many ways this could be charged undoubtedly, ie using general fraud statutes etc.)

Blacklabgator

Lurking Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2014
Yes. You're on a roll.

(I actually just did a quick google search of that. I'm not 100% by any means but I certainly said it and still believe to be true without further research. There are however many ways this could be charged undoubtedly, ie using general fraud statutes etc.)

You've been adamant they would all be charged with a felony. You've been adamant that there were more suspensions coming.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You've been adamant they would all be charged with a felony.
No, I haven't. Find a quote that says THEY WILL BE CHARGED. You won't find one.

I said all COULD be charged with felonies, particularly when 2222 claimed it was just some workplace or school violation. I said (specifically in response to 2222 I believe) felony indictments are coming-- that is now being reported everywhere-- and admitted that many will likely receive misdemeanors plea deals or even diversions (informal probation without a conviction usually only for minor offenders with no prior history).
You've been adamant that there were more suspensions coming.
I am still told this is the tip of the iceberg. I expect more suspensions and likely more prosecutions than just the 9. I never got more specific than "a lot" because I cannot. As for three dozen, please look again at the quote and the words "IF" and "say". I admit I used that number for a reason, I could have just as truthfully used the word dozens, but it is in fact still very speculative. Perhaps some did actually just lose their gator1 cards. No one knows for sure because the investigation is still ongoing. The paperwork for the first round of cases will likely take a month or two to be received. Then interviews will have to be done. Security footage of the transactions reviewed. It will take time.

However, clearly, it sure as hell isn't just some minor university policy violation and maybe, at worst, a one game suspension as 2222 and a few others hoped.

Last edited:

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I seem to remember one of the GCMB bright legal minds opined that there was no fraud.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No way we would get more than a 1 year bowl ban and a loss of a few scholarships. Heck, penn state got theirs appealed down to a 2 year ban for 20 years of assaulting kids.

Penn State was a criminal issue, and that is why it got dropped.... the NCAA overstepped their bounds.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Ive read this whole thread carefully because this whole fiasco is bad and I want to know what's going on. For the record, law has not once stated dozens of players and kids from other sports are involved or that dozens more will be charged. He stated multiple times he's heard from sources that this may extend to dozens and that dozens could be looking at charges. Sorry, but that's not the same thing. His sources have been given info that is speculative in nature and he has passed that info along, that's it. I've seen no posts stating dozens are involved and dozens more will be charged. Let's all just take it down a notch.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I've been one of the biggest Calloway apologist on here, but if he's facing felony charges, he's got to be let go as well as the other two that are supposedly facing felony charges. I hate to lose Skarlet over this, but at this point what the earliest he can come back, game 5 or 6? Plus you see the freshman RBs coming on and getting more carries, I just don't know how Skarlet will fit into rotation should he come back and hasn't practiced in like 6 weeks or so. Think Skarlet was likely going to forgo his senior season anyways for the draft. Maybe the ones that will only get misdemeanor charges will be allowed to come back if they haven't been in any kind of previous trouble at school. Our depth is already crappy in some areas, can't imagine what it will be at seasons end if none of these guys return.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
As I understand it there are at least two issues. One involves misuse of their allowance. That will be taken care of by giving back the money and is only a violation against the athletic department, I doubt that it is even covered under NCAA regulations.

The other is the criminal use of credit cards belonging to others, that will not be going away and those involved should be expelled from school.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
As I understand it there are at least two issues. One involves misuse of their allowance. That will be taken care of by giving back the money and is only a violation against the athletic department, I doubt that it is even covered under NCAA regulations.
Misuse is a joke of a mischaracterization. I doubt any even a criminal defense attorney could say that with a straight face.

They used there Gator one cards, then filed a false report that they had been stolen or lost, denied making the charges, and falsely claimed thatsomeone else must have made those charges. They then got a new card with the allowance on it again. Some did it multiple times.

I guess that is the "misuse of their allowance" in the same sense that vehicle theft could be characterized as a minor traffic violation. That was puss poor incident management on my part. We should habe stuck with "they made mistakes" and avoided that laughable mischaracterization.

It is expected that these will be charged also as credit card fraud. Additionally, getting more than their allowed amount from the school (school issued Gator1 card, rememember) is an NCAA extra benefits situation.

Last edited:

88drgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
If you steal from your employer, don't you usually get fired?

You also get fired if you fail a drug test. Are we placing different values on different infractions?

Nevertheless, a difference between a misdemeanor and a felony might be material in determining whether a player is kicked out of school.

88drgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Wait....who drug tests anymore these days? If I drug tested my employees I'd lose most of my team....you're working for the wrong company!

It's still a thing in manufacturing. And yes, many of them are having a hard time keeping line workers.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
No, I haven't. Find a quote that says THEY WILL BE CHARGED. You won't find one.

I said all COULD be charged with felonies, particularly when 2222 claimed it was just some workplace or school violation. I said (specifically in response to 2222 I believe) felony indictments are coming-- that is now being reported everywhere-- and admitted that many will likely receive misdemeanors plea deals or even diversions (informal probation without a conviction usually only for minor offenders with no prior history).
var rm = "read_more ..."; var o = "... Read Less"; var adjustheight = 20; // 20; //

Swonky, I read your posts very, very carefully and just there you said felony indictments everywhere. So,I should lawyer up, huh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.