Urban Meyer calls UF 2008 team best to ever play the game

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n2987 said:
The Ole Miss game was an aberration. They flat out just didn't show up that day. The 2008 team from the 3rd quarter of Arkansas until the end of the season? I'd put them up against any team in college football history and like their chances. I mean for Christ's sake, the secondary consisted of Janoris Jenkins, Ahmad Black, Major Wright, and Joe Haden. :lol:
Include Hernandez, Rainey, Demps, and both Pounceys to Tebow and Harvin.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n2994 said:
Include Hernandez, Rainey, Demps, and both Pounceys to Tebow and Harvin.

No joke. And to think we were worried about Cornelius Ingram tearing his ACL. I think the only real weakness that team had was the OLB's.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch said:
The Ole Miss game was an aberration. They flat out just didn't show up that day. The 2008 team from the 3rd quarter of Arkansas until the end of the season? I'd put them up against any team in college football history and like their chances. I mean for Christ's sake, the secondary consisted of Janoris Jenkins, Ahmad Black, Major Wright, and Joe Haden. :lol:
You can't forget about Riley Cooper there was nfl starters all over the field. I don't think it's a stretch st all to say they were the greatest team ever.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Glad to see this got some good conversation going. I have to admit, it's hard to argue with Uban on this one. That team was loaded with talent.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Give me the '96'ers on the zero thug factor and HBC. I swear Danny could throw it to within an inch of where he wanted even with forearms in his jaw, except in the 20-25 mph wind at Choke Campbell.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n3024 said:
Glad to see this got some good conversation going. I have to admit, it's hard to argue with Uban on this one. That team was loaded with talent.

no doubt. It was the best season ever my uncle bought sky box tickets and didn't use them. I watched every home game up there it was amazing!

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The 1995 Cornhuskers set all-time records for the number of rapes, girlfriend beatings, armed assaults, random beatings, and attempted murders. Those records are considered by many CFB historians as "unbreakable." Tom Osborne cemented himself as the scummiest coach of all time that year. Those things alone are quite an accomplishment. Our 2008 team with all their potheads pales in comparison.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Bernardo de la Paz;n2930 said:
That was back when Miami was still in the big least. They played nobody all year and then beat a Nebraska team in the rose bowl that had just lost to Colorado in the previous game.
Those early 00s miami teams had more All Pro NFL talent than any team i think i've ever witnessed in my life time. However i wouldn't say they were the best team while in college because i didn't ever think they played up to their potential. That 95 Nebraska team was a force unlike we've ever played before. The fact that they just annihilated one of the best UF teams ever and the voters still kept UF at #2 in the polls goes to show how highly we were thought of and it was just that Nebraska was that much better than everyone else and i still believe the best ever...no shame in admitting that. I do think our 96 and 08 teams would beat those Miami teams.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n2899 said:
I have to say the 95 Cornhuskers are the best college football team I have ever seen. Heck, I think our 96 squad was every bit as good, if not better, than the 08 squad.

Agreed. 95 Cornhuskers were the best team I ever saw. I believe the 08 team would beat our 96 team. I believe Percy would be the difference maker in the match up.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I would take the 96 team over the 08 team. Faced better competition imo.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
PastyStoole said:
The 1995 Cornhuskers set all-time records for the number of rapes, girlfriend beatings, armed assaults, random beatings, and attempted murders. Those records are considered by many CFB historians as "unbreakable." Tom Osborne cemented himself as the scummiest coach of all time that year. Those things alone are quite an accomplishment. Our 2008 team with all their potheads pales in comparison.
100% right . What's even funnier is what a sanctimonious hypocrite Osborne is . I remember watching him on cspan when he was in congress giving a speech and talking about Christian morals , damned near pissed myself laughing.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think the 08 team would beat the 96 team in a very close, entertaining game, but I'm not sure that our 08 team would beat the 95 Nebraska team. It would be a very close game for sure, but I think the 08 defense would struggle against that Nebraska offense.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch said:
There's no arguing that they were unreal. One of the most balanced teams ever. I just feel that when you're arguing that a team's the best of all time there shouldn't be aberrations. From Arkansas on is a different story. I'm not sure any team in history could stand a chance.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I have the '96 team over the '08 team, but barely. Stoop's Troops would keep the '08 offense in check much like the OU-UF game, but Spurrier owns Charlie Strong especially when the talent level is even: 31-24

The '95 Nebraska team should come with an asterisk as the entire team was on steroids.

Jax Gator

Founding Member
Swamp Thing
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It would be hard to pick between the '96 and '08 Gator teams. Danny was a great passer, and just as tough as Tebow when he was clobbered during a game. After the late hits the semis gave Danny, I thought he wouldn't get up a couple of times. The man was tough as nails!

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
PastyStoole said:
I'm not sure if it was Bowden or Osborne who came up with this ingenius strategy to get your star player out of a rape accusation, but Osborne used it effectively during his career coaching multiple sociopaths. Basically you call the victim and tell her how special she is to you and that you want to meet to "find out what happened." When she gets there you have the accused in the room to intimidate the already shaken and traumatized girl and convince her that the pain she feels when going to the bathroom is all just a big misunderstanding. It works like a charm. Franklin used it at Vandy, I'm sure Fisher would have used it to if the TPD and the school administration hadn't already run interference for him.

Osborne is truly the biggest scumbag I've ever seen as a coach, and that's saying something considering how many are in the profession. The fact that he's so revered in Nebraska is enough to make your stomach turn.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TallyGator;n2923 said:
We love all our championship teams. Best ever? How many Gators does it take to tackle Tommie Frazier? The fact that we came back from that and won the next year makes me want to believe our '96 team is our best ever.

More than 11. This isn't even mentioning Lawrence Phillips, even if we wears prison orange most of the time.

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
I saw the 95 nebraska team and the 01 Miami team along with the 08 Gators. Can't make a comparison, all looked unstoppable at times. I really hate Miami, and they were loaded, but they also were handed a title by putting an undeserved Nebraska team out there. Still as a Gator I say Urban is right.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The 09 team would have been in the conversation had the 08 OC not left and the 09 OC not been such a poor play caller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb