Urban's recruiting machine at OSU (sickening)

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This makes me sick to read. I've kept the "coaching hires" thread running this entire off-season in the hopes of seeing if/when we added staff. Instead, I've just watch as other programs continue to add to their support staffs.

When Drew Hughes agreed to stay on at UF, the word was that he was going to be given more support (i.e. hiring of more assistants/underlings). I haven't seen it. Anyhow, take a look at this story and you'll understand why we're seemingly always a brides made the last few years w/ top recruits.

This is a long article, so here's a cliff's notes:

--2 guys in recruiting department in 2012 to just now adding a 10th this past weekend.
--Break down every snap of film (good, bad, ugly) from Friday nights.
--Hired a football graphics team, copying Clemson in doing so.
--$175k is now the salary of GM/Director of Player Personnel Mark Pantoni (worked at UF under Urban). That significantly higher than what he made his final year at UF back in 2011. That position has seen salaries really jump in recent years it seems. The rest of the staff (9 others) combine to make close to $700K.

Ohio State football: A deep dive into the expensive expansion of the Buckeyes recruiting department explains dominance

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2017/06/ohio_state_buckeyes_football_i_1.html#incart_river_index

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Urban is using little Nick's playbook! It's pretty unbelievable how far behind we really are. If I we're Mac I would print this out and hand a copy to everyone in Athletic department/big time boosters...then walk off!

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
stricklin &
you'll understand why we're seemingly always a brides made the last few years w/ top recruits.
... while Bama is always a bribesmade.

Yeah, but any their players "studied" in Italy?

You're 100% correct BMF, as usual. This regrettably overlooked support scaffolding is needed to build a serious program. While for top HCs this is thinking inside the box, McStricklin can't get us out of the box. Do something before Harbough, Meyer and Saban for a leadership-change.

As to losing recruits, include in UF's recruiting Powerpoint: snowy winter videos of cars sliding totally out of control with expensive crashings, have a far-north car mechanic describe what salted roads do to the undercarriage of your car. Get real = show them the comparison of the difference in car insurance between here and there. At least point out how unrewarding it is to try to feel-up your girl under all that thick furry layers of coats. She can't kick back with you in short shorts. There's always a thick fog 'cause it's your own breath. Never have to ask to come out of a home-game due to frostbite. Etc, etc, make it an avalanche.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
M3, "those cheap ass southerners"...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This makes me sick to read. I've kept the "coaching hires" thread running this entire off-season in the hopes of seeing if/when we added staff. Instead, I've just watch as other programs continue to add to their support staffs.

When Drew Hughes agreed to stay on at UF, the word was that he was going to be given more support (i.e. hiring of more assistants/underlings). I haven't seen it. Anyhow, take a look at this story and you'll understand why we're seemingly always a brides made the last few years w/ top recruits.

This is a long article, so here's a cliff's notes:

--2 guys in recruiting department in 2012 to just now adding a 10th this past weekend.
--Break down every snap of film (good, bad, ugly) from Friday nights.
--Hired a football graphics team, copying Clemson in doing so.
--$175k is now the salary of GM/Director of Player Personnel Mark Pantoni (worked at UF under Urban). That significantly higher than what he made his final year at UF back in 2011. That position has seen salaries really jump in recent years it seems. The rest of the staff (9 others) combine to make close to $700K.

Ohio State football: A deep dive into the expensive expansion of the Buckeyes recruiting department explains dominance

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2017/06/ohio_state_buckeyes_football_i_1.html#incart_river_index
Yeah.... welll, we built a basketball court (admittedly needed) and a baseball field.

And we are thinking about painting some of the cinder blocks in the players' rooms.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Urban is using little Nick's playbook! It's pretty unbelievable how far behind we really are. If I we're Mac I would print this out and hand a copy to everyone in Athletic department/big time boosters...then walk off!

Well to Mac's credit, he has been trying bolster his support from day one. He has pointed out our disadvantages in areas. We have added a few, but not nearly enough evidently. I guess we'll always be behind until we get an administration that wants to be more than average.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Two points are so obvious:

(1). Recruiting is the lifeblood of a program that leads to winning.

(2). You get what you pay for.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
We aren't getting in an arms race.

The guy that said that is still pulling the strings.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Well to Mac's credit, he has been trying bolster his support from day one. He has pointed out our disadvantages in areas. We have added a few, but not nearly enough evidently. I guess we'll always be behind until we get an administration that wants to be more than average.
Yeah I agree! The people who control the money at UF acts as if it's their own (and it may be at the end of the day) which may be the reason they don't want to turn any of it loose. In my opinion everyone at the top needs to be replaced...then have an independent audit to see where the funds are going...and last but not least UF needs to cut ties with Foley alltogether. Then and only then will things turn around! There's way too much money going out for us not to have the best especially when programs like FSU,Louisville etc don't bring in what we do yet they have more.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier -- alpha
Meyer -- alpha
Mac -- Beta Theta Pi

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Spurrier -- alpha
Meyer -- alpha
Mac -- Beta Theta Pi
Times have changed since Spurrier/Meyer. If you dont have the resources everyone else does how do you expect to out recruit/beat them?

Btw...Jimbo had it put into his last contract that he gets an "Alabama like "recruiting/support staff" so...it may be along time before we beat those a$$holes again.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Times have changed since Spurrier/Meyer. If you dont have the resources everyone else does who do you expect to out recruit/beat them?

Btw...Jimbo had it put into his last contract that he gets an "Alabama like "recruiting/support staff" so...it may be along time before we beat those a$$holes again.

Is it any coincidence that our two beta masters possessed excellent facilities relatively speaking?

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
Times have changed since Spurrier/Meyer. If you dont have the resources everyone else does how do you expect to out recruit/beat them?

I'm in full agreement with you here. We won't be able to truly compete and be on the same playing level with our main opponents i.e. FSU, Bama, OSU until we allow our football program to have the same level of resources/facilities/support staff that these other schools have. Mac knows this and has been trying to get more resources toward football i.e. facilities and staff increases. However, we need the administrative/University side to realize that we are at a disadvantage if we dont have the same or more than these other teams do. We cant be stubborn and put ourselves at a disadvantage because we dont want to keep up with the joneses. That thinking will only hurt us. If another team has X recruiting analysts, we need X or more recruiting analysts. They have 30 people on the support staff in different capacities, we need 30 people on the support staff. They have stadium renovations, we need stadium renovations. They have new uniform concepts/new gear everyyear, we need the same. Its time we step up and compete and not settle for second fiddle.

Last edited:

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Its time we step up and compete and not settle for second fiddle.
Yep...thats what needs to happen but unfortunately it won't anytime soon. They are perfectly fine with the program going down the drain while getting our a$$es handed to us by FSU on a yearly bases As long as fans are showing up. They aren't going to spend the money it takes to get to the top and stay there. The meyer tenure showed that!

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I wouldn't exactly call going to ATL in his first two years...circling the drain.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

How do we get an answer from the UAA about recruiting/support staff? Don't any intrepid reporters ask these questions?

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
How do we get an answer from the UAA about recruiting/support staff? Don't any intrepid reporters ask these questions?
I'll know something soon (hopefully). The local guys are scared to ask those questions because they'll get their credentials pulled. If they aren't allowed to cover UF they don't have a job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb