USMCA: U.S. and Canada Reach Basis of Deal to Replace NAFTA Hours Before U.S.-Mexico Deadline

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Flgator2, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Flgator2

Flgator2 Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $88
    Ratings:
    +83 / -1
    USMCA: U.S. and Canada Reach Basis of Deal to Replace NAFTA
    Senior Trump administration officials briefed reporters late Sunday night on the new deal, just one hour before the deadline set to send a U.S.-Mexico deal to Congress.

The USMCA “includes ambitious new market access provisions for our farmers and ranchers,” according to the officials. It also includes provisions to make sure the deal does not get “stale and outdated”

Trump has delivered again. I bet China will be next.

2. TLB

TLB Just chillin'
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,861
    Ratings:
    +4,381 / -47
    I'm looking forward to the breakdown of how the 'new deal' compares with the NAFTA rules in terms of what the US gets from it and has to put into the relationship.

3. ChiefGator

ChiefGator A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!

Oxbucks:
    $1,311
    Ratings:
    +2,557 / -216
    Watching the president now, this will be an improvement hopefully for all of us. Perhaps jobs go from say China to Mexico saving money and of course for those that care about it CO2 emissions as well.

• gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
      $398
      Ratings:
      +399 / -23
      Many, many companies are already starting to move in this direction already. Have had tons of clients asking for help with getting talks set up with LATAM businesses and the economics make sense for everyone.

China isn't as cheap as they once were; their market restrictions and IP theft have pissed off so many companies here that they're more than willing to pick up and leave (even if it's at a small loss, which it isn't); AND you have the benefit of multiple countries already with free trade agreements in place with US IP laws being respected (Mexico, Colombia, Peru, Chile, etc). Even countries without FTAs are very competitive on price and with the smaller transport times, companies will be break-even in labor and cheaper on transportation too.

One other plus? Most businesses love the idea of spending 4-8 hours on a plane to head to these countries as opposed to 16-18 hour flights to China.

The US integrating Latin American economies with ours will be a win-win for everyone.

• Scott512

Scott512 Senior Member

Oxbucks:
        $519
        Ratings:
        +1,223 / -26
        Good point about the CO2 emissions.

Congratulations to President Donald J Trump on reworking the NAFTA deal making it better for America and not hurting Mexico or Canada in the process. Reworking the NAFTA deal with Mexico was easy compared to Canada but he got it done and I offer my congratulations.

• AugustaGator

AugustaGator Junior Member
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $2,350
          Ratings:
          +4,664 / -93
          Yes, but they have corruption too. I would like to leave china for the america's.

• gatorev12

Oxbucks:
          $398
          Ratings:
          +399 / -23
          Absolutely. Some countries worse than others, but yea: there's corruption.

At the end of the day, Latin American countries are democracies with similar rules and standards of law. Many have FTAs with the US that recognizes and adopts US commercial law.

Plus, perhaps I'm partial, but the talent down there is..shall we say...impressive. :cool:

• Ancient Reptile

Ancient Reptile Senior Member

Oxbucks:
            $1,627
            Ratings:
            +2,277 / -124
            Watching the MSM explain why this is not important (after predicting the end of the world as well as the utter impossibly of Trump succeeding) is a lot of fun. Surprised that the NYT ran a reasonable article.

• Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Piehole stuffed douchebag
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $17,136
            Ratings:
            +41,327 / -1,377
            It's not import, as a few percentage points of growth isn't important either, unless you are hundreds of thousands of people that are getting jobs or raises from all this stuff.

Fakenews doesn't make more from this. The Gubment Employee Establishment doesnt make more.

Nancy Pelousy wants her crumbs back.

• Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Piehole stuffed douchebag
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $17,136
              Ratings:
              +41,327 / -1,377
              Nafta required automakers to produce 62.5 percent of a vehicle’s content in North America to qualify for zero tariffs. The new agreement raises that threshold, over time, to 75 percent. That’s meant to force automakers to source fewer parts for an “Assembled in Mexico” (or Canada) car from Germany, Japan, South Korea or China.

For the first time, the new agreement also mandates that an escalating percentage of parts for any tariff-free vehicle — topping out at 40 percent in 2023 — must come from a so-called “high wage” factory. The agreement says those factories must pay a minimum of $16 an hour in average salaries for production workers. That’s about triple the average wage in a Mexican factory right now, and administration officials hope the provision will force automakers to shift suppliers from Mexico to Canada or the United States.

Perhaps the biggest sticking point in negotiations over the last month was the issue of Canada’s protection of its dairy market, including limits on imported dairy products from the United States and government support that gives Canadian products an advantage on international markets against American ones.

“Dairy was a deal breaker,” Mr. Trump said on Monday.

The new agreement gives the United States victories on both fronts. It gradually opens the Canadian market to more exported American dairy products, including “fluid milk, cream, butter, skim milk powder, cheese and other dairy products.” Canada agreed to eliminate a program that helps Canadian sellers of certain milk products, at home and abroad.

Among the small-but-significant items in the new agreement are a measure to push Mexico to make it easier for workers to form and join labor unions, steps to allow American financial services companies better access to Canadian and Mexican markets and a provision to extend the intellectual property protections of American pharmaceutical companies selling prescription drugs in Canada.

What is funny is that most of these things are exactly the type of things that Democrats prior to Obama would have supported wholeheartedly. I don't know when the Dems became haters of the American working class, even unions, but it is a strange sight.

• gatorev12

Oxbucks:
                $398
                Ratings:
                +399 / -23
                I'm not a huge fan of Trump's...but have to concede that this was good work done by his Administration.

It definitely balances things out a bit more with regards to NAFTA and stops being so one-sided against American workers and companies. It's not that I mind stuff being made in Mexico or Canada (would rather there than China); but when those countries throw up barriers to our companies being able to compete in the things we're good at...yea, I have a problem. They were reaping all the benefits of free trade while still protecting many things from US competitors. Glad this is a step towards changing that.

• Detroitgator

Detroitgator General Factotum
                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $2,993
                  Ratings:
                  +9,551 / -25
                  Brought to you by... Jared

• ChiefGator

ChiefGator A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!

Oxbucks:
                    $1,311
                    Ratings:
                    +2,557 / -216
                    I wondered about that, could it be just pandering or rather he actually works in the back ground?

• Detroitgator

Detroitgator General Factotum
                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $2,993
                    Ratings:
                    +9,551 / -25
                    I have no doubt that even at his age, Jared is a gifted negotiator/deal maker.

• 5-Star Finger

5-Star Finger Apex predator of the political forum biome
                      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                      $1,057
                      Ratings:
                      +2,222 / -18
                      This, to me, is the most meaningful thing in the the deal. Americans have basically been forced to subsidize cheap Canadian drugs. All the R&D cost for a majority of the world's medication has been on the backs of American consumers. No more free lunch.

• 5-Star Finger

5-Star Finger Apex predator of the political forum biome
                        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                        $1,057
                        Ratings:
                        +2,222 / -18
                        There's a lot I'd change about Trump the man - but it is getting pretty hard at this point to argue he has not been more effective than his four most recent predecessors. I'd argue that in trade and foreign policy he's accomplished more in two years than we saw in the previous 18 years.

• gatorev12

Oxbucks:
                          $398
                          Ratings:
                          +399 / -23
                          I'll give you trade; but can't really say that about his foreign policy whatsoever. His record there is decidedly subpar overall. A lot of bluster and photo ops with guys like Putin and Kim, but nothing substantive.

And I'm willing to do something different with both Russia and North Korea..but what's the clearly articulated agenda and plan? He doesn't have one as far as I can tell.

• Frozen Gator

Frozen Gator Well-Known Member
                            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                            $867
                            Ratings:
                            +1,471 / -11
                            I appreciate what he has done with NATO. He's done very well in the Middle East. I like the fresh look and opportunity he has given to all countries all over the world, it is changing you know.

• g8r.tom

g8r.tom Well-Known Member
                              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                              $1,106
                              Ratings:
                              +1,141 / -14

CNN is agrees, as much as it pains them.

• g8r.tom

g8r.tom Well-Known Member
                              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                              $1,106
                              Ratings:
                              +1,141 / -14
                              Pols talk and talk and talk and their goal is to get re-elected. They are good at that.

Business people set economic goals.

Business people have BHAGs that they work damn hard to accomplish.
                              Then they do it again.

We have needed a businessperson in charge for decades. We have to get our economic house in order. The social issues can wait for the next pol to win.