UVA ****s the bed, Kensucky still blows it

fasonfan

Jesus Saves
Nov 1, 2017
Uf killed virgina last year I remember they scored 39 points ... They literally had no offense .

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I watched the 2nd half and there is no way to put other than it was an embarrassing performance by UVA. Not losing per se, but the listlessness, etc. in which UVA played. As much as I admire Bennett and think he is a great coach, I do not think he used his team's size advantage to try and exploit the opponent. UMBC made every shot and that can happen and I don;t sway my views on 1 game versus an entire season or multiple seasons, but UVA and Bennett were totally awful. You see it in the tourney where these bigger name teams like UK, UVA, Mich St. (a few years ago) struggle against teams that play small ball from small conferences and they do not have to account for all 5 players behind the arc. Congrats to all those small teams and a great regular season by UVA has become pointless b/c they laid a zillion eggs in the tourney. Have to come to play in one and done and all they did was just show up!

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The way they shot the ball, I’m not sure anyone would’ve beaten them last night. It was like they were possessed. Fun to watch...when it wasn’t your team on the the other side.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Virginia relies too much on its defense. This is the kind of thing that happens when you have no offense, if you let crappy teams hang around eventually they will find a way to beat you, see our football team the last 8 years for a prime example of this.
Yes that is true but crappy turned into a fckn blow out..........that dont happen
I will say we have had voices in here down playing the UVA team all year. Hats off to them.

Last edited:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I was in the box last night and watched the first 5 minutes. I commented this was a GOOD 16 seed. They played good defense. Looked smart and could shoot the three..............and then my DUMMAZZZ went to bed. This is monumental. We always wondered (sorta hoped) it would happen one day. The coach is the son of Dave Odom of South Carolina fame. BUT Dave was not the USCe coach that lost as a 2 seed to the 15 there. That was Eddie Fogler. 1997 Coppin State South Carolina 78–65.................... now they are not one of the WORST of all time.........Tony Bennett took care of that with his "Cavalier" attitude last night. I loved the UVA guard when asked about this being history. He said "thank you for REMINDING ME again of that fact. Yes, we knew about that". The Retriever players were being asked about it. The big white boy said he wanted them to be in the One Shining Moment. They had been singing that first verse before the game. Said that was the only words they knew. Now, he said, they have to learn the whole song.....................When you think about it, this season was a tip off (no pun intended) with all the losing and upsets and parity. If our boys falter I have two favorite teams Buffalo or UMBC..............I would LOVE TO SEE a nobody team win it all.
btw they got a tweet from UCF saying how nice it is to have an "expanded playoff" for this to happen. UMBC tweeted back that it was great coming from the "national champions"....................
Tiger is coming back and a 16 beats a 1...............oh yeah and Trump is PRESIDENT...........we all shoulda seen it coming.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Tony Bennett IS the definition of Stall Ball. Ya'll get on Mike White about his Stall Ball tactics the final 10 minutes of a game. UVA did it for about 38 minutes last night...

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
images
This was UMBC last night............

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
I watched the 2nd half and there is no way to put other than it was an embarrassing performance by UVA. Not losing per se, but the listlessness, etc. in which UVA played. As much as I admire Bennett and think he is a great coach, I do not think he used his team's size advantage to try and exploit the opponent. UMBC made every shot and that can happen and I don;t sway my views on 1 game versus an entire season or multiple seasons, but UVA and Bennett were totally awful. You see it in the tourney where these bigger name teams like UK, UVA, Mich St. (a few years ago) struggle against teams that play small ball from small conferences and they do not have to account for all 5 players behind the arc. Congrats to all those small teams and a great regular season by UVA has become pointless b/c they laid a zillion eggs in the tourney. Have to come to play in one and done and all they did was just show up!

This. Too much emphasis on defense. Barkley said it best. It's hard to hold 6 elite teams to 54 points in a tournament setting. I'd imagine Bennett BEING THE GREAT COACH THAT HE IS, will figure it out now. I don't doubt that he is stubborn, most great coaches and players are, but this one stings way deep. As far as him being the Muschamp of college basketball, I dont remember Muschamp winning the SEC championship or ever being ranked number 1. This team beat Duke at Duke, Carolina twice. They beat Clemson twice and FSU....both beat us and had we played UMBC last night the way they we're playing I doubt we would have won. I'm pissed because they probably just gave UK and F4 spot and blew up my bracket but to say Bennett is a horrible coach a joke.

As a team UMBC shot 54% from the field and 50% from the 3. Lyle was 9-11 fg% and 3-4 from 3 pt.

Last edited:

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
This. Too much emphasis on defense. Barkley said it best. It's hard to hold 6 elite teams to 54 points in a tournament setting. I'd imagine Bennett BEING THE GREAT COACH THAT HE IS, will figure it out now. I don't doubt that he is stubborn, most great coaches and players are, but this one stings way deep. As far as him being the Muschamp of college basketball, I dont remember Muschamp winning the SEC championship or ever being ranked number 1. This team beat Duke at Duke, Carolina twice. They beat Clemson twice and FSU....both beat us and had we played UMBC last night the way they we're playing I doubt we would have won. I'm pissed because they probably just gave UK and F4 spot and blew up my bracket but to say Bennett is a horrible coach a joke.

As a team UMBC shot 54% from the field and 50% from the 3. Lyle was 9-11 fg% and 3-4 from 3 pt.

He’s the Muschamp of basketball. Only focus is on defense. How’d it work out for him the last two tourneys? Blow out city baby!

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I like that it was the ACC, the so-called b-ball conference, which had the first team to lose to a 16 seed.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Should have won more than that. 134/0 before the game? Should have won 80,000.

Article said they were 25/1 to win outright and that many sports books weren’t taking the bet. The book that did take it was offering 20/1 odds on them winning outright.

You sure the 134/1 odds weren’t on them winning the whole tournament rather than them beating UVA? That seems like way too large of odds to win just one game. FYI, they were 20 point dogs..

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Article said they were 25/1 to win outright and that many sports books weren’t taking the bet. The book that did take it was offering 20/1 odds on them winning outright.
Not doubting you know your odds, but that raises the question of why was umbc the last seeded team?

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Not doubting you know your odds, but that raises the question of why was umbc the last seeded team?

Just edited my post after you replied so you may not see it. Maybe the 134/1 odds you mentioned were on them winning the whole tournament? 134/1 seems too high to win just one game IMO. They were 20 point underdogs, certainly longshots to win but not an impossibility in the eyes of the bookies.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I went to bed when this game was at halftime and had a funny feeling it was going to end badly for UVA. They were sleepwalking the whole first half. Really wonder what kind of psychological toll that kid getting hurt had on them. Regardless, the #1 team has no business losing by 20 to a team that lost to Albany by 44. :facepalm:

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Just edited my post after you replied so you may not see it. Maybe the 134/1 odds you mentioned were on them winning the whole tournament? 134/1 seems too high to win just one game IMO. They were 20 point underdogs, certainly longshots to win but not an impossibility in the eyes of the bookies.
I was just expressing what seemed to me to be reasonable odds in view of the fact that the first 134 times a 16 seed played a 1 seed, they lost. So it seemed to me that fair odds should be at least 100 to 1. I will leave serious betting to those of you who know more about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb