Van Jefferson eligibility

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Following the Michigan saga w/ Shea Patterson (Ole Miss transfer QB awaiting word from the NCAA on immediate eligibility). The outcome of Patterson will very likely determine if Jefferson will be able to play for us this season. 6 other Ole Miss players are awaiting this decision before they file w/ their new schools for a waiver. Ole Miss is now disputing Patterson's claims. I like what Patterson' attorney said about Ole Miss:

Report: Ole Miss objecting to Patterson transfer waiver appeal
Gators watching this closely as they look to appeal for Van Jefferson

https://247sports.com/college/flori...nsfer-waiver-according-to-a-report--117175486

Shea Patterson's request for a transfer waiver has hit a snag. Ole Miss has formally objected to Patterson's transfer waiver to Michigan, CBSSports.com reported on Monday.

According to the Dennis Dodd report, the Rebels are "objecting to Patterson's assessment of the conditions with the program" which led to the signal caller to want to transfer away from the program that is the middle of an NCAA scandal.

With Ole Miss' response in hand, the NCAA is now expected to rule on the appeal. If the appeal is denied Patterson would have to sit out the 2018 season.

The Gators are watching this situation very closely. Patterson is joined by Florida transfer wide receiver, Van Jefferson, and four other former Ole Miss players seeking an appeal for immediate eligibility. The group is arguing they were misled by then head coach Hugh Freeze about the scope of the NCAA sanctions that would be delivered.

Jefferson is currently enrolled at Florida and has participated in spring practice. He recorded 91 catches for 999 yards and four touchdowns in his two seasons at Ole Miss.

Dan Mullen not sure on timeline for NCAA decision on transfers Van Jefferson, Trevon Grimes

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...rida-wr-transfers-van-jefferson-trevon-grimes

TAMPA, Fla. — Florida bolstered its wide receiving corps this offseason, both in signing a couple of high-profile recruits and in landing a couple of high-profile transfers.

But the Gators continue to await word from the NCAA as to whether those transfers, Van Jefferson from Ole Miss and Trevon Grimes from Ohio State, will be eligible in 2018.

“I have no idea. That’s not a decision we get to make,” Florida coach Dan Mullen said Tuesday when asked if he knew the timeline for those decisions.

Jefferson, is appealing the NCAA for immediate eligibility based on the circumstances surrounding former Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze’s departure from the program there last summer.

He totaled 91 catches for 999 yards and 4 touchdowns over the last two seasons with the Rebels.

Grimes, who was ranked the No. 6 WR in the Class of 2017 according to the 247Sports composite, is appealing for a waiver based on his need to be closer to his family in Florida to deal with a personal situation.

“Obviously having any player helps. For us, the more players you have, the more options you have to do things,” Mullen said. “But we’ll be fine either way. For us, you’re looking at the guys you have. I don’t know who’s going to get injured during the season, all the other intangible things that you don’t have any control of. So I kind of really worry about what we can control.”

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Ole Miss is actually arguing the position that Hugh Freeze DIDN'T mislead kids about the school, the team, the program, etc.? Really? That's what they are going with?

:rotfl:

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
I like this quote

""Whoever wrote that response for Ole Miss either wasn't paying attention last year or had a case of selective amnesia," Mars said. "

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...chigan-transfer-shea-patterons-waiver-appeal/
I'm not a huge Dodd fan but he made some solid points in a podcast yesterday (no link, sorry). Ole Miss is playing this like it's the usual in-state political/legal games. The only possible thing I can think of that justifies their stance on this would be fear that others will jump (which shows little faith in their new HC, who is killing it on the recruiting trail) or that they'll lose a lawsuit. I just don't get it...and it's not my O&B glasses blurring my vision.

They've always had a sense of self-importance in Oxford, and this truly illuminates it.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not a huge Dodd fan but he made some solid points in a podcast yesterday (no link, sorry). Ole Miss is playing this like it's the usual in-state political/legal games. The only possible thing I can think of that justifies their stance on this would be fear that others will jump (which shows little faith in their new HC, who is killing it on the recruiting trail) or that they'll lose a lawsuit. I just don't get it...and it's not my O&B glasses blurring my vision.

They've always had a sense of self-importance in Oxford, and this truly illuminates it.

These kids should be able to come and go as they want.

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
These kids should be able to come and go as they want.
I'm not sure I agree with that totally. I'd say yes in respect to coaching staff changes and other massive disruptions (bowl bans). As a part of the regular business...no. If they're scholarship athletes they have an obligation in return for the education and training they receive. Coaching changes and probations to me seem like they would be changes to the existing contract between the athlete and school.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure I agree with that totally. I'd say yes in respect to coaching staff changes and other massive disruptions (bowl bans). As a part of the regular business...no. If they're scholarship athletes they have an obligation in return for the education and training they receive. Coaching changes and probations to me seem like they would be changes to the existing contract between the athlete and school.

To my understanding, scholarships are year-to-year.

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
To my understanding, scholarships are year-to-year.
Understood, but the work included on the field extends outside of the classroom and includes facilities/support as well. This isn't as simple as saying "come play with us for a year and we'll pay for your class". The vast majority of student-athletes will not sniff the next level. If you give the student the opportunity to ditch each year without consequence, shouldn't the school be allowed to do the same (pull scholly without reprisal)? And in that case I think the chaos that would ensue would potentially dilute the product on the field and destabilize funding and administration of athletic departments. Players have a talent that provides an opportunity to earn an education to include living and training expenses provided by the institution. This should be treated as a contract and the contract broken only if the terms (which should include good-faith maintenance of the state of the system and work put in by the student in terms of grades/qualification to attend) are broken.

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
In other words, scholarships are year-to-year, but the agreement to disburse them extends throughout the length of a contract. Only changes to the contract can be a catalyst for denying (or abandoning).

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Understood, but the work included on the field extends outside of the classroom and includes facilities/support as well. This isn't as simple as saying "come play with us for a year and we'll pay for your class". The vast majority of student-athletes will not sniff the next level. If you give the student the opportunity to ditch each year without consequence, shouldn't the school be allowed to do the same (pull scholly without reprisal)? And in that case I think the chaos that would ensue would potentially dilute the product on the field and destabilize funding and administration of athletic departments. Players have a talent that provides an opportunity to earn an education to include living and training expenses provided by the institution. This should be treated as a contract and the contract broken only if the terms (which should include good-faith maintenance of the state of the system and work put in by the student in terms of grades/qualification to attend) are broken.

I mean that’s sort of the case. But coaches like Saban routinely cut kids.

Look – I can work for whoever I want and leave whenever I want. Certain things are in place such as non-competes that can hinder my ability to find employment but it cannot completely stifle it (depending on state law).

These kids are adults and should be able to come and go as they please. I’d say that more damage is done by coaches coming and going than players coming and going.

Technically kids can already come and go if they want to go to a lower division. Conferences can police themselves by not allowing transfers to happen in Conference or maybe to a rival conference without approval by the conference.

This will greatly stymie movement but still gives kids the ability to leave if they really want to. Which they should be able to.

The only sport where this could negatively impact tge school if this happened, is with basketball.

But these kids aren’t prisoners. If they want to leave they’re going to leave anyway so the damage to the school is the same. By limiting the movement of the kids it’s really just damaging the kids. And it’s unnecessary.

Just my opinion. I’m not saying that your opinion is wrong.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ole Miss is actually arguing the position that Hugh Freeze DIDN'T mislead kids about the school, the team, the program, etc.? Really? That's what they are going with?

:rotfl:

You mean after he has publicly apologized for lying to boosters and recruits.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
their new HC, who is killing it on the recruiting trail).

No, he isn't. Their star rating isn't even top 10. He's getting numbers, but not quality. He has a 2 star and a no star as well as some seriously undersized 3s for their position. One of his 3s he beat out the might Alcorn St. Braves. With another 3 star, he beat out no one. The kid had no other offers. There's a couple of 3 stars like that. Another 3 star he beat out the mighty Jackson St. Tigers. I swear, did Ole Miss hire Mac's clone?

Last edited:

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
No, he isn't. Their star rating isn't even top 10. He's getting numbers, but not quality. He has a 2 star and a no star as well as some seriously undersized 3s for their position. One of his 3s he beat out the might Alcorn St. Braves. With another 3 star, he beat out no one. The kid had no other offers. There's a couple of 3 stars like that. Another 3 star he beat out the mighty Jackson St. Tigers. I swear, did Ole Miss hire Mac's clone?
What about the four stars? Three of them. A QB out of TX, a 6'4"/230# athlete, and another four-star athlete. One two-star. One NR player. Yeah, average ranking is just under 3 and he's got 15 in hand, but OURS is right at 3 and who says he keeps all 15 or if they even qualify? Hell, it's Mississippi. For an interim-to-new coach with his first real class at Ole Piss, he ain't doing bad.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
, shouldn't the school be allowed to do the same (pull scholly without reprisal)?
They do cut kids without reprisal.... other than perhaps getting a bad reputation, but so far it hasnt affected Bammer or anyone else who does it regularly.

We are one of the few who do not cut kids, no matter how terrible they are. It hasnt helped us in the slightest and certainly losing games hurts more than having the reputation of not cutting terrible players.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No, he isn't. Their star rating isn't even top 10. He's getting numbers, but not quality. He has a 2 star and a no star as well as some seriously undersized 3s ?
The Butters plan, take bunches of garbage early and claim youre recruiting well.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
They do cut kids without reprisal.... other than perhaps getting a bad reputation, but so far it hasnt affected Bammer or anyone else who does it regularly.

We are one of the few who do not cut kids, no matter how terrible they are. It hasnt helped us in the slightest and certainly losing games hurts more than having the reputation of not cutting terrible players.

We also are very slow to cut horrendous coaches

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'll believe Jefferson and Grimes will be eligible to play when they are actually suited up and running out of the tunnel. Just like everything else with this program nothing will go smoothly or in a timely fashion. I wouldn't expect an answer until August at the earliest...maybe not even until the week before the first game.

Slug

I fcuking hate people.
Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2014
I'll believe Jefferson and Grimes will be eligible to play when they are actually suited up and running out of the tunnel. Just like everything else with this program nothing will go smoothly or in a timely fashion. I wouldn't expect an answer until August at the earliest...maybe not even until the week before the first game.
You doing ok after tiger woods did what tiger woods does in his "comebacks"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb