Various Jobs We Have Had

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I know we've had similar threads before but I couldn't find it. It's slow so another might be fun.

Make a different post for each job, or not. General dates and locations will make it more interesting, but not if you don't want to disclose.....whatever you want to do is fine.

I'll start with my most unusual one. Summer of '67 in Gainesville I really needed to intern in pharmacy, but it didn't pay but $1.00/hr. In hogtown cause of too many students. So I took a job as a Tech III at the Poultry Research Station on Archer Rd. just past Shands. Worked for a PhD doing research on white Leghorn roosters and Road Island Red layers. Part of the job was holding test tubes to the cloaca of the roosters as he made them ejaculate. He had a building with 100 perfect specimens in it in separate cages. Those suckers went berserk trying to spur each other when he approached the entrance to the air conditioned building....it was wild. He just pulled them out by the legs and stroked their back once with thumb and birdie finger and BOOM!

I then ran live/dead ratios and concentration/ml through statistical analysis for it to be related back to protein and other nutritional levels. We also studied chick sex vs. feed, fertilized egg %, egg count, and more vs. diet. Interesting stuff right there on Archer Rd.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Winn Dixie warehouse in westside Jax. Summer of 95. Orders come into the warehouse from each store. You have go around the warehouse and find the stuff on the order and pack it on the pallet. Driving a forklift except the lift is the back.

The warehouse was huge and not airconditioned. There was a big water dispensor and the end of each aisle with gatoraide in it. One day, I saw the old fella whose job it was to fill these up. He'd pour in 5 gallons of water. Dump in powdered Gatoraide. Take this broom handle to stir it. ....... And then proceed to dry off the broom stick by wiping it off under is armpit.

Whenever I think of coot.... For some reason, I think of that nasty bastard.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mervyns department store in 95-96 in Argyle. It was like a Kohls. I was placed in the shoe department like Al Bundy. After 2 days, I had enough of the general public and went in to quit. But they asked me to go into the back and stock shelves instead. That was great! Got to unload every semitruck, by hand. Help the security guys out whenever they needed an extra hand. Nap deep in the back of the store (I knew where all the hidden cameras were). There was a cleaning crew at night, but one day.... there was an emergency in the bathroom so they called me. I walked into the bathroom and it looked like a murder scene. It looked like someone had a 5 gallon bucket of liquid crap and threw it on every surface and wall. To this day, it still remains the most disgusting thing I have ever seen with my own eyes. I walked out and said there is no way in hell I was cleaning that. The manager said I have to. So I actually had to quit on the spot.

(Honest question.... How do you think someone sprayed liquid poo on every wall?)

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
When I was 16, I got a job finishing drywall for $5 an hour. 50 hours a week, no taxes, cash money. This was on Southside Blvd. when the we're building about a dozen apartment complexes. Friday afternoons (payday) used to watch all the middle-aged workers drink themselves into oblivion on cases of cheap beer while they gambled away their entire salary throwing roofing nails into the drywall. I quickly found out why the poor remain that way. :lol:

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Jobs are for the little people. I am massively wealthy. Huge. Trust me, I have the best wealth. Everywhere I go, people tell me how much they love my wealth and how I have the best wealth. I mean, I love the workers, but wealth is king and I have the best wealth.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Winn Dixie warehouse in westside Jax. Summer of 95. Orders come into the warehouse from each store. You have go around the warehouse and find the stuff on the order and pack it on the pallet. Driving a forklift except the lift is the back.

The warehouse was huge and not airconditioned. There was a big water dispensor and the end of each aisle with gatoraide in it. One day, I saw the old fella whose job it was to fill these up. He'd pour in 5 gallons of water. Dump in powdered Gatoraide. Take this broom handle to stir it. ....... And then proceed to dry off the broom stick by wiping it off under is armpit.

Whenever I think of coot.... For some reason, I think of that nasty bastard.

Brad you basturd

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
When I was 16, I got a job finishing drywall for $5 an hour. 50 hours a week, no taxes, cash money. This was on Southside Blvd. when the we're building about a dozen apartment complexes. Friday afternoons (payday) used to watch all the middle-aged workers drink themselves into oblivion on cases of cheap beer while they gambled away their entire salary throwing roofing nails into the drywall. I quickly found out why the poor remain that way. :lol:

What year was that?

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

What year was that?

I was Project Manager in 83 and had two apartment projects on Southside Blvd.

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
15 years old. Parsons Seafood in Mayport. It was on the river and the fishing boats pulled right up to the back. $1.00/hr First day I peeled shrimp for 15 hours straight. As I'm leaving at 11 pm they say "say see you at 9". I think oh hell no.
16 years old. Publix Neptune Beach. First week they put on the schedule for the entire weekend. I'm like hell no.
Still 16. Shoney's Jax Beach. First day. boss is showing me my duties. bus the tables, sweep floors. Then we get to the bathroom and points out a stall that was clogged and full of ****. He said clean that. I walked out back door.
17. Waiter at Day's Inn Restaurant on Atlantic Blvd Neptune Beach. I don't know the first thing about how to be a waiter but luckily the restaurant never gets any customers. I only get $1.35 an hour and hardly any tips. But the hostess was really cute and was nice to me so I lasted several weeks.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
15 years old. Parsons Seafood in Mayport. It was on the river and the fishing boats pulled right up to the back. $1.00/hr First day I peeled shrimp for 15 hours straight. As I'm leaving at 11 pm they say "say see you at 9". I think oh hell no.
16 years old. Publix Neptune Beach. First week they put on the schedule for the entire weekend. I'm like hell no.
Still 16. Shoney's Jax Beach. First day. boss is showing me my duties. bus the tables, sweep floors. Then we get to the bathroom and points out a stall that was clogged and full of ****. He said clean that. I walked out back door.
17. Waiter at Day's Inn Restaurant on Atlantic Blvd Neptune Beach. I don't know the first thing about how to be a waiter but luckily the restaurant never gets any customers. I only get $1.35 an hour and hardly any tips. But the hostess was really cute and was nice to me so I lasted several weeks.
Quite the work ethic, huh? :lol:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Worked loading watermelons, working in hay and cropping tobacco as a young teen. Made student IDs at UF from 74-78. If you were there I probably made your ID. Drove a front end loader for about 9 months in Venice Fla for a pipe line company. Those 9 months made me enough money to pay college tuition for 4 years.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ran radio stations on weekends from sign on to sign off so regular crew could have weekends off. 5 minutes of wire news at 5 til the top of every hour, network news on the hour. Directed gospel shows on Sunday mornings. Had to pass a FCC test to get a 3rd class Radiotelephone Operators License in order to run the station alone. Dead air is unacceptable.

'63-'66 era, Ft. Walton Bch./Marianna area. Lots of free promo LP's marked complimentary.

Last edited:

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mervyns department store in 95-96 in Argyle. It was like a Kohls. I was placed in the shoe department like Al Bundy. After 2 days, I had enough of the general public and went in to quit. But they asked me to go into the back and stock shelves instead. That was great! Got to unload every semitruck, by hand. Help the security guys out whenever they needed an extra hand. Nap deep in the back of the store (I knew where all the hidden cameras were). There was a cleaning crew at night, but one day.... there was an emergency in the bathroom so they called me. I walked into the bathroom and it looked like a murder scene. It looked like someone had a 5 gallon bucket of liquid crap and threw it on every surface and wall. To this day, it still remains the most disgusting thing I have ever seen with my own eyes. I walked out and said there is no way in hell I was cleaning that. The manager said I have to. So I actually had to quit on the spot.

(Honest question.... How do you think someone sprayed liquid poo on every wall?)
When I was 17 my buddy worked at a local restaurant in Niceville, FL. A family brought their elderly grandfather in for a birthday dinner. He had dementia or Alzheimer's. They let him go the bathroom by himself. Unfortunately they didn't check on him for about fifteen minutes. When they did, they found him painting the walls with his own crap. The manager wanted my buddy to go clean it up. Like you, he quit on the spot.

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ran radio stations on weekends from sign on to sign off so regular crew could have weekends off. 5 minutes of wire news at 5 til the top of every hour, network news on the hour. Directed gospel shows on Sunday mornings. Had to pass a FCC test to get a 3rd class Radiotelephone Operators License in order to run the station alone. Dead air is unacceptable.

'63-'66 era, Ft. Walton Bch./Marianna area. Lots of free promo LP's marked complimentary.
Damn Goon. Yer an old Fukker.
My story is from Niceville 1988.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.