VOIP, Anybody using internet phones ?

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I have been using the OBi202 and Google Voice for about four years now. It gives great service and no monthly telephone bill. :)

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I thought that this would be of interest but maybe nobody has landlines and fax anymore. I was able to plug my house telephone line into this box and all my phone jacks worked. Fully programmable for any voip out there.. This model has 4 internal line capability and 2 wired phone jacks on the back.

2441847_sa.jpg;canvasHeight=550;canvasWidth=642

Last edited:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nevermind. I see you put the name of the product in the OP. How's the reliability and quality?

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nevermind. I see you put the name of the product in the OP. How's the reliability and quality?
I used NetTALK (similar to Magicjack) for a year and it was okay at times and terrible sometimes . Then I swapped to the Obi202 and it has been great for four years. It has been trouble free while my brother-in-law has had Vonage , T Mobile, and now Comcast voip all of which he had trouble . The original cost was about $70 on Amazon and I chose to use Google Voice for free. There are a lot of voip that you can pay for that the Obi202 will accept pre-programed but unit is fully programmable . I always look at Amazon's reviews on everything .

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I just got Brighthouse 200mbps for $58.

I bought PlayStation Vue (decent UI), and I'm going to get an HD Tuner/DVR for my OTA. Then I'll get rid of Frontier FIOS. My monthly charges will drop from $150/month to $92/month. And my Internet speed will double.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I have VOIP. I'll probably look at this as a substitute.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I have VOIP. I'll probably look at this as a substitute.
Google Voice is free and you can have it transfer to your cellphone.

Another plus is you can make free call to another country between two Obi units.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
when I was in the Dominican Republic a few weeks back I used Facebook Messenger to make calls home. The internet was not great there, but the call quality was fine, about the same as talking on my cell. I would use it again.

It's also good if you have kids/people that don't have cell service, but an internet capable device connected thru wi-fi. internet phone technology has came a long way.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I was going to get set up with this but Google voice is not allowing me to assign a number. It says I tried to do it several years ago and because I didn't use it they are not allowing me to assign one.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I was going to get set up with this but Google voice is not allowing me to assign a number. It says I tried to do it several years ago and because I didn't use it they are not allowing me to assign one.
That's confusing , but just start another Google account, I have several, one just for Google Voice.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks but that tool allows you to check if you port the number at all. Apparently there are some ranges of phone numbers or prefixes they do not service. Apparently mine is one of them.
Are you talking about the T-Mobile port?

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Are you talking about the T-Mobile port?

Check that your mobile number can be ported.
Mobile phone number

Check

Please note: at this time, number porting to Google Voice is not available for land line numbers or corporate mobile numbers.

« Back

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
After I enter my home number in the mobile number field:

Ooops! This number appears to be from an area we don't currently support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb