Volunteer State: Would you rather have Jeremy Pruitt or Dan Mullen as Tennessee Vols coach?

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Is that what you call it?
I call them realistic expectations. I've been butt hurt for the last decade. We finally have a coach that I have faith in and I'm CHOOSING not to be negative at the moment. That doesn't mean that I'm a pumper who refuses to see reality. I'm just not a full time dumper. I'm a guy with introspection. I don't actively look for people to blame for everything that's wrong. I just don't see the point of placing my unfair expectations on a new coach.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Wow! You really misinterpreted what I meant.
I'm not trying to tell you that they don't matter. I'm just saying that we need to relax with overreacting after every game. Win or lose. Looking at the program objectively, what are reasonable expectations for this team?
Example: If we win or lose to LSU, does that change the reality that we're a heavily flawed team? NO!
Aren't you guys tired of being in a sappy mood? Some of you guys are on edge like Mullen has been here for 3 years. It's year 1 with a new coach. Decompress a little.
I actually think we'll beat LSU this year. But I won't freak out if we don't. It's not like I'm oblivious to the recent history.
Yeah, I was more just using your post as a starting off point, not really meaning that you specifically don't care about results.

Realistically most of the teams on our schedule are flawed so I personally think we should win the ones where we are expected to win which includes UK, UToothless, 3 cupcakes, USC, and Vandy. Obviously Mullen has already screwed that plan up with the UK loss.

MSU looks like they have upgraded their schemes by dumping their coaching staff on us, and have some pretty good pieces, though far from a dominant roster across the board. With them having what looks like a coaching advantage plus home field, that's probably a loss.

LSU should be a push since we have played them to a draw the last couple years, we are at home, and ours and their rosters are similar to the last couple years, so no reason to think they are now somehow some dominant force.

Mizzou is going to be tough simply because we probably don't have enough offense to keep up.

UGA we should lose. They simply have more talent than us across the board.

FSU is in total collapse mode with their coach on the hot-seat 3 games in. If Mullen can't beat them this year he may never beat them.

So that means 5 more should wins and maybe go 2-2 at best or at worst 0-4 in the LSU, MSU, UGA, and Mizzou games.

So to me less than 7 wins is more evidence that Mullen is what we thought, very mediocre. Not suggesting we fire him but just don't agree with "this season means nothing" because it's not true. It's an easy schedule (that's going to get harder) so if Mullen can't get above 500 now then what chance is there for him in the next 3 years?

You're right that I'm a little uptight over it and theoretically we could still turn this into a pretty good season. Probably not good for my BP. There's enough angst during the games and at least I can drink during them.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
can we just get back to making fun of cousin plungerers and butt chuggers?

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
can we just get back to making fun of cousin plungerers and butt chuggers?
redneckGirlfriend.jpg

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
I'm not negative because I've watched this team over the last decade. Since Mullen showed up, am I to forget the past and pretend this team should beat anyone? Especially LSU? We were 4-8 last year. So, naturally, my expectations are those of a 4 win team. Anything else is an improvement.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Yeah, I was more just using your post as a starting off point, not really meaning that you specifically don't care about results.

Realistically most of the teams on our schedule are flawed so I personally think we should win the ones where we are expected to win which includes UK, UToothless, 3 cupcakes, USC, and Vandy. Obviously Mullen has already screwed that plan up with the UK loss.

MSU looks like they have upgraded their schemes by dumping their coaching staff on us, and have some pretty good pieces, though far from a dominant roster across the board. With them having what looks like a coaching advantage plus home field, that's probably a loss.

LSU should be a push since we have played them to a draw the last couple years, we are at home, and ours and their rosters are similar to the last couple years, so no reason to think they are now somehow some dominant force.

Mizzou is going to be tough simply because we probably don't have enough offense to keep up.

UGA we should lose. They simply have more talent than us across the board.

FSU is in total collapse mode with their coach on the hot-seat 3 games in. If Mullen can't beat them this year he may never beat them.

So that means 5 more should wins and maybe go 2-2 at best or at worst 0-4 in the LSU, MSU, UGA, and Mizzou games.

So to me less than 7 wins is more evidence that Mullen is what we thought, very mediocre. Not suggesting we fire him but just don't agree with "this season means nothing" because it's not true. It's an easy schedule (that's going to get harder) so if Mullen can't get above 500 now then what chance is there for him in the next 3 years?

You're right that I'm a little uptight over it and theoretically we could still turn this into a pretty good season. Probably not good for my BP. There's enough angst during the games and at least I can drink during them.
See, that's what I mean by unrealistic expectations. You say that you expect us to beat UK, UT, 3 cupcakes, USC and Vandy. Historically speaking, I agree with you, but do you not remember we won 4 games last year? 1 of which was because UK left receivers uncovered on 2 occasions. And we beat UT on a walk off prayer heave. How can you now expect that same team to win 7 games?
I'm just interested in seeing if coach Mullen can improve on that. This team is really crappy, if you haven't noticed.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
See, that's what I mean by unrealistic expectations. You say that you expect us to beat UK, UT, 3 cupcakes, USC and Vandy. Historically speaking, I agree with you, but do you not remember we won 4 games last year? 1 of which was because UK left receivers uncovered on 2 occasions. And we beat UT on a walk off prayer heave. How can you now expect that same team to win 7 games?
I'm just interested in seeing if coach Mullen can improve on that. This team is really crappy, if you haven't noticed.
The fact that you think last year was the norm, not the aberration is exactly the problem with the fans. You have officially become UT, Vandy, Cowbell, etc.

First of all we technically had 5 wins because the cancelled game was at least 90% likely a win. And why you would think a 2 game improvement, especially when the bar is set the very lowest possible for Mullen is unreasonable is completely embarrassing honestly. Seriously, ask yourself how you got in a place where you think a sh#t 7-5 season is unreasonable.

Say it out loud, 7-5 is sh#t and anything less should get a 6 million dollar a year coach fired now, not 3 years from now.

All I'm suggesting is to win 2 lousy games more than last year (or if he wants to cancel the Idaho game then 6 will do).

But in case you think that is somehow unprecedented then try to remember these seasons, mostly done by Chimp and McStain. You're actually saying what they were able to do (which got them fired) is too much to expect from Mullenz.

2007 9-4 2008 13-1
2011 7-5 2012 11-2
2013 4-8 2014 7-5
2014 7-5 2015 10-4

But yeah, we should expect 5-7 this year because Mullen has us on the way back to the top, and you know, Mac.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
How can you now expect that same team to win 7 games?

Not same team. not same coach-crew. HC Maxelame & crew quit the Gators way before we knew it. And perhaps the players learned to like the lazy?
And please note: Stoops expected UK to surprise the lazy-clumsy, to win and they did.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
The fact that you think last year was the norm, not the aberration is exactly the problem with the fans. You have officially become UT, Vandy, Cowbell, etc.

First of all we technically had 5 wins because the cancelled game was at least 90% likely a win. And why you would think a 2 game improvement, especially when the bar is set the very lowest possible for Mullen is unreasonable is completely embarrassing honestly. Seriously, ask yourself how you got in a place where you think a sh#t 7-5 season is unreasonable.

Say it out loud, 7-5 is sh#t and anything less should get a 6 million dollar a year coach fired now, not 3 years from now.

All I'm suggesting is to win 2 lousy games more than last year (or if he wants to cancel the Idaho game then 6 will do).

But in case you think that is somehow unprecedented then try to remember these seasons, mostly done by Chimp and McStain. You're actually saying what they were able to do (which got them fired) is too much to expect from Mullenz.

2007 9-4 2008 13-1
2011 7-5 2012 11-2
2013 4-8 2014 7-5
2014 7-5 2015 10-4

But yeah, we should expect 5-7 this year because Mullen has us on the way back to the top, and you know, Mac.
Whoa! That's loaded. But I fail to understand how previous years pertain to last season. Yes, 7-5 is still a terrible season and I wouldn't be pleased with it. But that doesn't change the reality of the situation. This team is garbage!
Football doesn't work like you guys think it does. A coach isn't a magic elixir to fix all that ails UF. You and I both know that this team needs talent more than I need breath in my lungs.
To pretend that winning ANY games with this shvtty team is a given is irresponsible. You guys come on these boards and complain all the time about how lacking in talent this team is, yet you expect Dan to work miracles because he has a $6 million dollar salary? 10-4. Nick saban wouldn't do it. Urban wouldn't do it. Dabo? Nope. Why? Because it's ridiculous to think that you can win without talent. It's why the above stated coaches annually have top recruiting classes. If they could win with less I'm sure they would. No grown man wants to spend his time kissing the asses of teenagers. They do it, because it's necessary to win.
Champ and Mac won, because they inherited decent talent. They grossly underachieved with the talent they were left. Unfortunately, Mac left an FAU roster for Dan to try and navigate the SEC with.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Not same team. not same coach-crew. HC Maxelame & crew quit the Gators way before we knew it. And perhaps the players learned to like the lazy?
And please note: Stoops expected UK to surprise the lazy-clumsy, to win and they did.
How is the team different? Of course we had recruits come in, but they don't really contribute. We have V. Jefferson and Trevon Grimes. Their new. Not sure they change the complexion of the team, though. I'm sure the majority of the production is done by players that were here last year.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This team has more talent and experience than last years squad. We beat LSU in 2016 and lost by one point last year. LSU has a marginal at best coach and similar talent and we are playing them at home.

We should just concede LSU as a loss even though these were even games with Mac or even no coach? What does that say about Mullen? I know, nothing because he's not really coaching the team this year, he's still racking up the wins at Cowbell. But in 4 years things will be just dandy. In the meantime just take the losses and be happy because Mullinz has us heading back to the top.

I agree. Talent wise we are not light years ahead of Kentucky but the reason we lost that game was twofold.

One was defensive scheme. Garbage. Although it looks like they made some changes for the Colorado State game.

Second reason was effort. And he lit into their asses after the game.

I don’t know what he can do about the line – but two major changes I would make on offense would be:

1. Start Perine. Have Scarlett back him up instead. Scarlett is just not seeing holes. I’m talking about complete sides of the field. He is just running into the backs of the lineman. Bring Peace in earlier in the 2nd half. He needs more touches.

2. Replace Moral Stephens. Immediately.

As for defense, There needs to be a schematic change And they need to bring another linebacker into the box. Move Chauncey back to safety. And replace Stiner. The linebackers have actually been getting a little bit better throughout the year.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wow! You really misinterpreted what I meant.
I'm not trying to tell you that they don't matter. I'm just saying that we need to relax with overreacting after every game. Win or lose. Looking at the program objectively, what are reasonable expectations for this team?
Example: If we win or lose to LSU, does that change the reality that we're a heavily flawed team? NO!
Aren't you guys tired of being in a sappy mood? Some of you guys are on edge like Mullen has been here for 3 years. It's year 1 with a new coach. Decompress a little.
I actually think we'll beat LSU this year. But I won't freak out if we don't. It's not like I'm oblivious to the recent history.

I agree. Nobody expected this team to win all their games. If you expect 3 to 4 losses - we’re about on pace. If we lose to Tennessee, I don’t think it’s time to panic but I think it would be time for the coaches to make some serious changes.

Nomadigator

Veni vidi facepalmi
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2018
Hep me! Hep me! Somebody hep me! I feel the need to let loose the cliche' juice!

Past performance does not guarantee future results.
Every game is its own game.
Trust the process.

And, of course, a kind reminder of the most regurgitated pigskin cliche' of all time...

winston_churchill_quote_3.jpg

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I agree. Talent wise we are not light years ahead of Kentucky but the reason we lost that game was twofold.

One was defensive scheme. Garbage. Although it looks like they made some changes for the Colorado State game.

Second reason was effort. And he lit into their asses after the game.

I don’t know what he can do about the line – but two major changes I would make on offense would be:

1. Start Perine. Have Scarlett back him up instead. Scarlett is just not seeing holes. I’m talking about complete sides of the field. He is just running into the backs of the lineman. Bring Peace in earlier in the 2nd half. He needs more touches.

2. Replace Moral Stephens. Immediately.

As for defense, There needs to be a schematic change And they need to bring another linebacker into the box. Move Chauncey back to safety. And replace Stiner. The linebackers have actually been getting a little bit better throughout the year.

I agree with your changes. I think Perine should be the starter with a healthy dose of Scarlett and Pierce (you said Peace but I'm sure you meant Pierce).

But as far as effort, that's one of the reasons why he is a sub-par coach. In his 10th year as a HC, and he looked and acted as lost as the players. I don't think you can understate how bizarrely passive and confused he was at UK halftime. He was dancing and singing and coasting through prep week instead of lighting into his own and coaches asses, and the teams ass before and the game, not after. Now he has a stain on his record that none of his crap coach predecessors has.

He spends too much time talking about the players having fun. Not sure I can ever remember Saban talking about fun, especially not after a crappy performance despite a blowout win over a cupcake.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Whoa! That's loaded. But I fail to understand how previous years pertain to last season. Yes, 7-5 is still a terrible season and I wouldn't be pleased with it. But that doesn't change the reality of the situation. This team is garbage!
Football doesn't work like you guys think it does. A coach isn't a magic elixir to fix all that ails UF. You and I both know that this team needs talent more than I need breath in my lungs.
To pretend that winning ANY games with this shvtty team is a given is irresponsible. You guys come on these boards and complain all the time about how lacking in talent this team is, yet you expect Dan to work miracles because he has a $6 million dollar salary? 10-4. Nick saban wouldn't do it. Urban wouldn't do it. Dabo? Nope. Why? Because it's ridiculous to think that you can win without talent. It's why the above stated coaches annually have top recruiting classes. If they could win with less I'm sure they would. No grown man wants to spend his time kissing the asses of teenagers. They do it, because it's necessary to win.
Champ and Mac won, because they inherited decent talent. They grossly underachieved with the talent they were left. Unfortunately, Mac left an FAU roster for Dan to try and navigate the SEC with.
Excuses excuses excuses. Fact, this team is no less talented than teams that Chimp and McElstain won double digit games with.

To think 7-5, fuking 7-5 is an unreasonable expectation of Mullenz when you have CSU, UK at Home, CSU2, Vandy, Idaho and the worst FSU team in 2 decades on the schedule is simply pitiful. Every single one of you said this was the easiest schedule in decades, but then Mullen sh*ts the bed against UK and all of a sudden it's an unconquerable gauntlet? Kiss my effin azz. There's one good team on the entire schedule, but expecting ONLY 5 loses is viewed as some miracle?

Mullenz really is the luckiest 6 million a year guy in the world. He's paid like Urban, has Florida talent and resources, but fans have Vandy expectations.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I agree. Nobody expected this team to win all their games. If you expect 3 to 4 losses - we’re about on pace. If we lose to Tennessee, I don’t think it’s time to panic but I think it would be time for the coaches to make some serious changes.
3-4 losses? You're talking to a guy who thinks if Mullenz goes 6-6 he should get a raise and extension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator