Vosean Joseph - key to a win?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
After LSU, Joseph was named the Walter Camp national defensive player of the week. The last we saw of him he was nearly being dragged off the field after an insane ejection against Vandy.

So what has been his state of mind since that injustice? Is he going to be a man possessed against UGA? Few players are more key to a win in this game.

Discuss.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
He and Reese better play with the best gap discipline they’ve ever played with and tackle their asses off.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I agree that he and Reese are huge for us this weekend.

But if we’re talking “keys to victory”, I may have to Polite-ly disagree. I think they’re going to have to let Fromm pass to beat us and their OL is beatable.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with both.

we're going to run blitz the heck out of them, we will win some lose some, and hopefully make them pay on 3rd and long.

I actually think as good as the suggestions about Joseph and Polite are, that the defensive tackles will be the tale of the game. the tackles have to tie up to linemen. the guards can't have clean blocks on our linebackers. we need those defensive tackles to play big, bigger than they are.

Last edited:

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
I agree with both.

we're going to run blitz the heck out of them, we will win some lose some, and hopefully make them pay on 3rd and long.

I actually think as good as the suggestions about Joseph and Polite are, that the defensive tackles will be the tale of the game. the tackles have to tie up to linemen. the guards can't have clean blocks on our linebackers. we need those defensive tackles to play big, bigger than they are.
Ya know, when you exclude the childish nicknames and sarcasm you make a helluva lotta sense.

EDIT: ...and references to FAU, Houston Baptist, and CDM's record at MSU.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Joseph and Reese are the 2nd order of importance. They have dominated in games when our DL play disciplined. I think the key is our DL plugging holes so Joseph and Reese can go to work. The dawgs will try to run on us from the get go and we need to win that battle and force them to have to throw. Then its time for the DL and LBs to get after him.

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Agreed re D-line. If the interior can approximate what we thought they'd be at the start of the season, we have a chance. If Holyfield gets chunks of yardage up the gut, not so much.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If we can slow the run and put them in obvious passing downs, then we should win. Their offense is built on a strong running game, and our defense is built to pressure the QB. That's not an ideal matchup, but it's one that's in our favor if they're in 3rd and long.

We've inconsistent in how we play the run, but we've shown that we're capable of playing well against it. Hopefully we've worked on some gap discipline and tackling fundamentals this bye week to further improve in that area.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
To me the key is the play and leadership of Reese, at least early on. There is no way Kirby doesn't learn from the disaster in Death Valley. I expect a heavy dose of Holyfield. The DL needs to eat blocks and when Reese gets the chance he needs to make the tackle. I think he is much better against the run than Joseph - but VJ has been lights out in coverage and deadly when they have to try and stretch runs outside. Reese needs a Spikes moment in this game early.
If you remember, he was one of the most vocal guys after that loss to the leghumpers last year and the one to Missouri where the guys clearly just quit. I think he's the leader and we don't look as sharp when he isn't out there. If we frustrate their running game and get up on them early I fully expect Smart to go full retard and **** the bed. If the Gators make them abandon the running game half of the stadium will be empty by the end of the third. At least that's my take.

Go Gators, to hell with Georgia!:chomp:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Possible we see these "Fighting Gators" gel right before our eyes i.e. they shut down UGa RBs, then harrass and sack Fromm and plow Fields. Saturday's game tells all ?

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
I just think Joseph is especially pissed and will be an animal.

You could have something there. He has to be fuming about going out the way he did versus Vandy and is probably going to come out wanting to bring the pain. I just hope it's right at the edge of out of control the way Spikes was against Moreno. I do think all of the guys from last year are probably playing with a sizable chip though. The whole team had to be completely embarrassed by the performance and then by the way Butters acted afterwards.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I expect a heavy dose of Holyfield.
Holyfck reminds me of that LSU running back now a jaguar, except with a mean streak. If our boys let him get a head of steam its gonna be a long day. btw gap discipline also depends on having some success against the tree (uga OL) in front of you.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
You could have something there. He has to be fuming about going out the way he did versus Vandy and is probably going to come out wanting to bring the pain. I just hope it's right at the edge of out of control the way Spikes was against Moreno. I do think all of the guys from last year are probably playing with a sizable chip though. The whole team had to be completely embarrassed by the performance and then by the way Butters acted afterwards.

I hope they don't get into a pre-game altercation, which is common in these types of games (see the Mich/MSU game last week).

I agree that VJ is going to have a big game. I think Reese is the leader of this defense, so hopefully he gets them in the right positions to make plays. Agree w/ Law on the DT's having a big part of any success we have. I think they run it a ton and try to 'smash-mouth' us, as they went away from the run big-time vs. LSU.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
We need VJ.

I can only hope for good officiating. It has
been deplorable this year especially in the SEC.

This will be our biggest challenge. I doubt UGA comes to Jax flat as they did in Death Valley.

They have a strong line and we will need everyone playing their gap w/o jackass mistakes.

And the personal fouls have got to go.

Last edited:

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
He and Reese better play with the best gap discipline they’ve ever played with and tackle their asses off.

He once overcame a bad habit of over-running tackles in search of big hits and surrendering huge chunks of yardage in the process. Let's hope he doesn't let his rage cause him to fall off the wagon. Do your job, Vosean and stay in the game.

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Well, rumor is he practices voodoo. So there’s no telling what he might do when he’s pissed.
th

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.