Was Roper just bad?

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
In this article he states that Muschamp didn't control him at all and he called the plays. He also says he would work for Muschamp again. I don't know how much is just blowing smoke... it certainly seems that the play calling hasn't changed regardless of the OC, but you might think Roper would say the opposite to help him get his next job...

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20141118/ARTICLES/141119559?p=1&tc=pg

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
No. He was not bad. He is a good employee though. He will keep his mouth shut in public the like all interviews sell himself when needed. In coaching you never throw the HC under the bus, you will never get on a staff again. I've been there at the HS level. You are all in. When a new staff comes in to evaluate you you better have been loyal to the old HC. You try to sell him out the new HC knows you can't be trusted

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
I can't believe that ALL these OC were bad...because they were pretty good before coming here. Whats the one thing they have in common? Bad under muschamp

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Driskel was the main issue imo and that caused Muschamp to even get more conservative but it was Muschamp insisting on sticking with Driskel.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not enough evidence to say he is good or bad. This is his first job outside of Cutcliffe. His next job will be a better answer for that. But Muschamp didn't hire great offensive coordinators before him, but he hired guys who fit his philosophy.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Up tempo offense??? Where was he talking about? Wasnt here at Florida.....if he actually called all the plays, we dont want to retain him thats for sure. I think he is a yes man.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Chaz Green said they had to learn a new offense the last three years and within 3 weeks each time. They never had time to jell and grow he said.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Law98gator;n109784 said:
Ten tons of bullshiiit, as usual.

Exactly. He was saying all the right things to get his next job. That's all that article was about. No idiot in their right minds would believe for a moment that Roper called the shots, especially that last 2:00 minutes of the USCe game. Champer, among his long list of flaws as a HC, is one god awful game day coach. So I know that Roper was giving a future job saving interview in that article while the rest of us know the truth. And btw, I'm not convinced ol' Hugh Freeze is a good game day coach as well. Some people are calling him Hugh Froze after those two loses he engineered for the Rebs against LSU and Auburn at the end of both games with very questionable decisions. In any event, Roper's article was much ado about nothing.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
gatormandan;n109782 said:
Up tempo offense??? Where was he talking about? Wasnt here at Florida.....if he actually called all the plays, we dont want to retain him thats for sure. I think he is a yes man.

I agree. Looking back even in pre season interviews he was always too nice about everything and everyone. He would also always divert to some story when someone ask him a difficult question.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, he'd really be doing his career a favor by throwing his HC under the bus right now. :facepalm:

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Interviewing for his next job, so he took the high road, not a shock. Same for Muschamp not showing his ass in the presser yesterday.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n109779 said:
Not enough evidence to say he is good or bad. This is his first job outside of Cutcliffe. His next job will be a better answer for that. But Muschamp didn't hire great offensive coordinators before him, but he hired guys who fit his philosophy.

Weis definitely didn't fit his philosophy. He used to air it out all the time even when he should have been more conservative at ND.

88drgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Roper's "success" is probably all due to Cutcliffe. One assistant here hired another assistant who never really designed an offense on his own. That's all you need to know.

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
gardnerwebbalumnigator;n109874 said:
Interviewing for his next job, so he took the high road, not a shock. Same for Muschamp not showing his ass in the presser yesterday.

That would have been the most epic press conference ever! :moon:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Roper is legit. And he did a good job covering for Muschamp. No way that was the offense he knows. I will say, I'm certain he was handcuffed not only by Muschamp but by horrible QB play. Only so much you can do when your QB can't execute a simple screen pass.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I have a hard time believing Roper was bad. WM hitched his wagon to Driskel and was the same common denominator for 3 OC's. If Roper truly would have been involved he should have has a QB (Harris, Grier) to develop that best ran his system. Driskel proved what many have stated on here is that he is terrible on game days, panics, and no game sense. We saw flashes of what Roper could do with Harris. Just think if he'd had time to develop TH and put him out there. Chances are that UF could have been a 1 loss team at this point and WM is retained. I think all has worked out for the best. THANK GOD!

MatthewM.

Founding Member
Chief Queef
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Of course Roper was bad, I have no idea why some people around here continuously make him out to be a genius

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.