Was Roper just bad?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure he wasn't told that he'd be saddled with Shortbus Boy at Qb and running the Ray Goof offense.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If he watched us at all the previous two years he should've knew that

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n109880 said:
Weis definitely didn't fit his philosophy. He used to air it out all the time even when he should have been more conservative at ND.

His last stop before our and even in New England he was a run first coach. The Chiefs lead the league in rushing in 2009, with Weis as OC. Corey Dillon and Autwain Smith (spelling) had career revitolizations under Weis in New England because they ran the ball. Notre Dame had ****ty running backs and could never establish the run. He ran more than people give him credit for, because like some games here at Florida with him. The big pass plays out shined the running style.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
It's pretty difficult to put the blame on Roper, except for lying and saying he wasn't meddled with. That is pure BS. What happened to the hurry up and slinging the ball around. You noticed how even the remnants died after the first game against that glorified HS team. And notice how all of the coaches were silent as the grave about the hurry up disappearing. The last game was just like the chump's first game. Nothing would have changed with (fill in the blank) as OC.

WillGetIn

Founding Member
Stalker
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well, this quote from the article is telling...

“You know we obviously talk about situations like the end of that game (against South Carolina). Do we want to be aggressive or do we want to take the timeout and use the time and all that? But I’m 100 percent on board with any of those decisions that are made. But as far as calling plays, absolutely (not). He’s been great. He really is.”

Roper was 100 % on board with any decisions that were made". That tells you right there that Muschamp called the shots. Muschamp didn't call the specific plays, but Muschamp decided what type of offense was being run. Would we expect Roper to have a job if Roper wasn't 100% on board with Muschamp's decisions?

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
WillGetIn;n110368 said:
Well, this quote from the article is telling...

Roper was 100 % on board with any decisions that were made". That tells you right there that Muschamp called the shots. Muschamp didn't call the specific plays, but Muschamp decided what type of offense was being run. Would we expect Roper to have a job if Roper wasn't 100% on board with Muschamp's decisions?

Yes. If you are named an OC and are making near a million dollars a year to do a job you were hired to do, you might bump heads at certain times and you should be man enough to at least stick to your guns and do what you know is right. If you get over rode in the end oh well, at least you tried. Being a yes man is just spineless and makes your position just a name...

88drgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
gatormandan;n110395 said:
Yes. If you are named an OC and are making near a million dollars a year to do a job you were hired to do, you might bump heads at certain times and you should be man enough to at least stick to your guns and do what you know is right. If you get over rode in the end oh well, at least you tried. Being a yes man is just spineless and makes your position just a name...

It kinda gets limp without a Cutcliffe to stroke it?
PS: Sorry for that visual.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Well Roper knew exactly what he was getting into. Made a shat load of money doing it. He also hitched his wagon to the WM/JD train. I am sure he was confident enough that he could fix it. And with the season and games going in the crapper I am sure he turtled up to some degree. Anyone around Muschimp ball will shat the bed as well.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n110212 said:
His last stop before our and even in New England he was a run first coach. The Chiefs lead the league in rushing in 2009, with Weis as OC. Corey Dillon and Autwain Smith (spelling) had career revitolizations under Weis in New England because they ran the ball. Notre Dame had ****ty running backs and could never establish the run. He ran more than people give him credit for, because like some games here at Florida with him. The big pass plays out shined the running style.

True but at ND I remember him always trying to throw deep on what would normally be conservative plays with the down and distance.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n111496 said:
True but at ND I remember him always trying to throw deep on what would normally be conservative plays with the down and distance.

With Notre Dames running backs that made sense, for such an established fanbased team, they haven't been able to recruit a good runningback in over a decade.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TN G8tr;n110116 said:
I have a hard time believing Roper was bad. WM hitched his wagon to Driskel and was the same common denominator for 3 OC's. If Roper truly would have been involved he should have has a QB (Harris, Grier) to develop that best ran his system. Driskel proved what many have stated on here is that he is terrible on game days, panics, and no game sense. We saw flashes of what Roper could do with Harris. Just think if he'd had time to develop TH and put him out there. Chances are that UF could have been a 1 loss team at this point and WM is retained. I think all has worked out for the best. THANK GOD!
This sums it up and as BMF said on the post before this one.

Also I would say from what we saw in fall practice that Roper had started to install his up-tempo offense, but then dawgchamp shut it down. And yes, we probably would of had a better record had Roper been allowed to put TH in earlier and call the plays, which might have kept the dawg around another year, so THANK GOD it has worked out for the best

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
CaribGator;n111677 said:
This sums it up and as BMF said on the post before this one.

Also I would say from what we saw in fall practice that Roper had started to install his up-tempo offense, but then dawgchamp shut it down. And yes, we probably would of had a better record had Roper been allowed to put TH in earlier and call the plays, which might have kept the dawg around another year, so THANK GOD it has worked out for the best

How can you run a uptempo offense without a quarterback who can make the reads for an uptempo style? We make the assumption that it was Mushcamp, when most of the first half of the season, we had recievers running the wrong routes, running backs missing blocking assignments, and a quarterback have problems reading defenses. That sounds like the perfect environment to go uptempo.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Gator Fever;n111496 said:

Weis's offense would have worked here with a better offensive line. If you look back he used Joyer to run and block, we threw the ball mostly to Reed because he was our best target and Debose had his most productive year as a WR. We threw tons of screens to Rainey and Demps also. At least he had a clue who our most talented players were.If you remember we had to resort to a lot of wildcat later in the year because our offensive line couldn't pass block for sh!t.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n112266 said:
Weis's offense would have worked here with a better offensive line. If you look back he used Joyer to run and block, we threw the ball mostly to Reed because he was our best target and Debose had his most productive year as a WR. We threw tons of screens to Rainey and Demps also. At least he had a clue who our most talented players were.If you remember we had to resort to a lot of wildcat later in the year because our offensive line couldn't pass block for sh!t.

We didn't have the offensive line or a healthy quarterback for Weis' offense. Health at quaterback was also another major factor for the use of Wildcat. A consistant running game to open up the play action pass would have made a world of difference for Weis. But as evidenced by his past and ego he was looking for another head coaching position as soon as he could.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
TheDouglas78;n112267 said:
We didn't have the offensive line or a healthy quarterback for Weis' offense. Health at quaterback was also another major factor for the use of Wildcat. A consistant running game to open up the play action pass would have made a world of difference for Weis. But as evidenced by his past and ego he was looking for another head coaching position as soon as he could.

Agree 100%. That's what I meant about the reference to a healthy QB and pass blocking especially when you have immobile QB's like JB and Brissett. While I'm not a fan of Weis I believe that team could have won 9 or 10 games with even an average offensive line.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
While I'm on a roll here I will say that if Roper in fact chose the personnel for this years offense then I'm not sure I want him back. By using Westbrook and Burton exclusively at TE he took away what could have been a legitimate downfield threat out of the position. With a guy like Goolsby flexed out or even working more than 5 yards down the field we would have been able to move safety's and or LB's out of the box for more favorable numbers in the running or passing game. I'm a huge fan of power football but sometimes you have to chose the chisel and file instead of just the hammer.....And don't get me started about the slot position. Bailey, Thomson or Debose should have been getting most of the reps there instead of Dropsman....

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n112276 said:
While I'm on a roll here I will say that if Roper in fact chose the personnel for this years offense then I'm not sure I want him back. By using Westbrook and Burton exclusively at TE he took away what could have been a legitimate downfield threat out of the position. With a guy like Goolsby flexed out or even working more than 5 yards down the field we would have been able to move safety's and or LB's out of the box for more favorable numbers in the running or passing game. I'm a huge fan of power football but sometimes you have to chose the chisel and file instead of just the hammer.....And don't get me started about the slot position. Bailey, Thomson or Debose should have been getting most of the reps there instead of Dropsman....

Don't get me started on the mystery of why all the sudden Pittman is catching 90% of the balls thrown to him by Treon. Or why all the sudden Dunbar can catch again with Treon at QB. Laugh at me all you want, call me a tin foil hat wearer, whatever, it became quite clear to me those two decided they were intentionally going to drop every pass Driskel threw their way until he was benched. You'll never convince me otherwise after seeing both of them drop 90% of the passes Driskel threw to them, many of them would have been drive saving first downs, then all the sudden when Harris takes over they're catching 90% of the balls thrown to them. And no, I don't buy the Driskel throws too hard BS.

My point is, if I was Muschamp or Roper, neither of those two would ever see the field again at UF.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n112285 said:
Don't get me started on the mystery of why all the sudden Pittman is catching 90% of the balls thrown to him by Treon. Or why all the sudden Dunbar can catch again with Treon at QB. Laugh at me all you want, call me a tin foil hat wearer, whatever, it became quite clear to me those two decided they were intentionally going to drop every pass Driskel threw their way until he was benched. You'll never convince me otherwise after seeing both of them drop 90% of the passes Driskel threw to them, many of them would have been drive saving first downs, then all the sudden when Harris takes over they're catching 90% of the balls thrown to them. And no, I don't buy the Driskel throws too hard BS.

My point is, if I was Muschamp or Roper, neither of those two would ever see the field again at UF.

Might want to throw Westbrook in there with Dunbar and Pittman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.