Was that win the start of something special?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The team is still a Muschamp construct.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
I'm optimistic with Treon. If Muschamp starts Driskel again, he won't wait as long to pull the plug the next time. In the meantime, I'm still thanking God every day for Kyle Christy.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Okeechobee Joe;n70335 said:
I'm optimistic with Treon. If Muschamp starts Driskel again, he won't wait as long to pull the plug the next time. In the meantime, I'm still thanking God every day for Kyle Christy.
Amen. Good to see you, Joe.

klgator

Jul 29, 2014
It will be special only if the offense starts scoring more than 20 or more points a game. The Tennessee game brought us up to the 2012 level. We need to get the offense functioning with average scores in the high 20s to 30s. Then it will be special.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
I cannot say that this is the start of something special, but our schedule looks a lot better than it did at the start of the season. Look at this, LSU was in the 5, USCe was a top 10 team, and UGLY's Defense was supposed to be back (after giving up 401 yards to buTtchug and us only giving up a little over 200). I think it is fair to say that we have a chance to win the East. If our D can play well and whoever our QB can be the Driskel of 2012 it is possible for us to get to Atlanta....Like someone said "Winning the SEC East is like being the tallest midget", but at least we can hang our hats on something after last year.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
=/

Treon Harris being Florida’s season-saver at quarterback: No one can deny the true freshman provided an instant spark for Kurt Roper’s offense off the bench in the fourth quarter on Saturday, but the overall sample size is simply too small thus far to deem Harris as the Gators’ next great passer. It’s clearly a confidence issue at this point with incumbent Jeff Driskel and another player breathing down his neck further complicates the issue. Driskel’s ineptitude has forced the coaching staff’s hand (notably Will Muschamp) to play Harris and when he has stepped on the field, he’s performed well. There’s clearly a quarterback controversy in Gainesville, but let’s wait and see how it shakes out before we crown Harris the everyday starter after leading two fourth-quarter scoring drives against an opponent which hasn’t seen a winning season since 2009.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/not-overreacting-sec-week-6/

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
NCOGator;n70446 said:
I cannot say that this is the start of something special, but our schedule looks a lot better than it did at the start of the season. Look at this, LSU was in the 5, USCe was a top 10 team, and UGLY's Defense was supposed to be back (after giving up 401 yards to buTtchug and us only giving up a little over 200). I think it is fair to say that we have a chance to win the East. If our D can play well and whoever our QB can be the Driskel of 2012 it is possible for us to get to Atlanta....Like someone said "Winning the SEC East is like being the tallest midget", but at least we can hang our hats on something after last year.

Unless the defense and special teams play as good as 2012 being the Driskel of 2012 will not win many games imo.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
Gator Fever;n70461 said:
Unless the defense and special teams play as good as 2012 being the Driskel of 2012 will not win many games imo.

Think about it. If Mizzu beats UGA, and we beat Mizzu all we have to do is beat USCe and Mizzu and we shuold be in. I don't know how the tie breaker would work, but there is a chance.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
NCOGator;n70468 said:
Think about it. If Mizzu beats UGA, and we beat Mizzu all we have to do is beat USCe and Mizzu and we shuold be in. I don't know how the tie breaker would work, but there is a chance.

UGA would need one more SEC loss and Mizzu would need a second SEC loss.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
"but let’s wait and see how it shakes out before we crown Harris the everyday starter after leading two fourth-quarter scoring drives against an opponent which hasn’t seen a winning season since 2009."

If the opponent is so bad then what does that say about Jeff Driskel? He couldn't even lead ONE scoring drive. The program need shaking up. It starts at the top.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n70474 said:
"but let’s wait and see how it shakes out before we crown Harris the everyday starter after leading two fourth-quarter scoring drives against an opponent which hasn’t seen a winning season since 2009."

If the opponent is so bad then what does that say about Jeff Driskel? He couldn't even lead ONE scoring drive. The program need shaking up. It starts at the top.

Tennesse very well could be the worst team in the SEC. Have them at least 3 turnovers, 2 in the redzone. They had a total of 9 points. Everytime their offense started going, a stupid penalty or a horrific pass. They are more disjointed offensively then we are.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Jeff couldn't score on them at all...what's that say about Jeff??????

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n70495 said:
Jeff couldn't score on them at all...what's that say about Jeff??????

T-Rex the only problem is that the problem isn't just Jeff. There is still a number of issues we have as an offense on a team with this much talent.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
klgator;n70355 said:
It will be special only if the offense starts scoring more than 20 or more points a game. The Tennessee game brought us up to the 2012 level. We need to get the offense functioning with average scores in the high 20s to 30s. Then it will be special.

While I agree in general scoring just 20 points in this era is not "special" but rather normal. Without the errors (not the ints) against UT we might have scored 20 there and the great teams of today have offenses that score much more than 20 per game. Have their type of offense and our type of D would mean an option to be NC again.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
TheDouglas78;n70498 said:
T-Rex the only problem is that the problem isn't just Jeff. There is still a number of issues we have as an offense on a team with this much talent.

Agreed. But at this point, we need something different. If TH goes in and does no better, then we know it's a systemic issue and can address the much bigger problem we have. But with how our schedule sits, and with Lsu, Mizz, and Usce suddenly looking like games we could win, this could be a year that changes the direction of the program. We have a shot at getting back on solid ground again. I have zero confidence that JD is the guy who gets that done.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n70503 said:
Agreed. But at this point, we need something different. If TH goes in and does no better, then we know it's a systemic issue and can address the much bigger problem we have. But with how our schedule sits, and with Lsu, Mizz, and Usce suddenly looking like games we could win, this could be a year that changes the direction of the program. We have a shot at getting back on solid ground again. I have zero confidence that JD is the guy who gets that done.

I completely agree with a change at quarterback, I said last week Harris should get 30% or more of the snaps at Tennesse to see if he was a gamer or not. I dont' believe we have an answer yet, because the sample size is still too small. But what we do know he has gotten better at the run plays than he was against EMU and he proved a spark that we needed against a toothless Tennesse team. Just the jump to all the sudden we are a good team due to the Driskel to Harris change seems very early, especially when Harris is a total of 4-6 in college play (2-4 in SEC play). He threw one really beautiful pass on the wheel route to Jones, but also threw what would have been a pick 6 on the out route if we were not playing Tennesse.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
TheDouglas78;n70473 said:
UGA would need one more SEC loss and Mizzu would need a second SEC loss.

Actually Mizzu would only need a loss, since USCe beat UGLY. That is possible with aTm on their schedule.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
NCOGator;n70522 said:
Actually Mizzu would only need a loss, since USCe beat UGLY. That is possible with aTm on their schedule.

If we are Mizzu's first loss, they would need a second.. Which as you pointed out could be aTm. I think we are saying the same thing on Mizzou. But we would need a 3 loss UGA team, because if it becomes a 3-way tie it goes to the polls, both Mizzou and UGA would be ranked above us due to their higher pre-season rankings.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
Yeah I forgot that they didn't lose to an SEC team like the rest of the SEC. Still they are suspect and I think that when it is all said and done that Mizzu will have 2 Ls in the SEC race (Don't count out Kentucky or Ark). Plus with UGLYs D looking suspect (giving up 400 yards to a bad bUTtchug team and losing to USCe), I stand by my orginal statement that our schedule looks a lot better than it did at the start of the season (LSU, USCe, UGLY). I know I am a pumper but with a win against LSU and MIZZU, we could win the east.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
TheDouglas78;n70519 said:
I completely agree with a change at quarterback, I said last week Harris should get 30% or more of the snaps at Tennesse to see if he was a gamer or not. I dont' believe we have an answer yet, because the sample size is still too small. But what we do know he has gotten better at the run plays than he was against EMU and he proved a spark that we needed against a toothless Tennesse team. Just the jump to all the sudden we are a good team due to the Driskel to Harris change seems very early, especially when Harris is a total of 4-6 in college play (2-4 in SEC play). He threw one really beautiful pass on the wheel route to Jones, but also threw what would have been a pick 6 on the out route if we were not playing Tennesse.

Agreed 100%. I fully expect mistakes by Harris and others, and could still see us losing another 3-4 games. That said, for the first time in a long while, I also look at a schedule that is manageable if our defense continues to play well and the offense take even modest steps forward. Like I said 1000 times back in 2012, imagine how good this defense could be if they were playing with a 21 point lead. We get little glimpses of it on the opponents last drive when it's obvious passing situations. But if we could make teams unbalanced from mid-2nd quarter on, it would be a blood bath. A serviceable offense, being given the ball twice at midfield, in the first few possessions, would've changed everything. That's what we need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.