Watching the Memphis game tonight (Norvell offense)

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I really do find it amazing that every single offense in college football is so much more competent than ours.
Not every single one, just 116 or so.

Of course some of the teams behind us have zero blue chippers.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I like how they talked about Norvell really emphasised special teams as soon as he got there, and now they've had several kick returns for touchdowns since he's been there after years of not having one of all.

I also like how aggressive the offense is. TOP is not a concern.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I love his offense. I don't love his defense. He needs to fix that before we seriously consider him.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I love his offense. I don't love his defense. He needs to fix that before we seriously consider him.

Remember '78. to most people we are NOT hiring a Head Football Coach. We are hiring an offensive football coach. The other 200 facets of football don;t seem to matter to most. Of course I am kidding, but it does seem like that sometimes.

Your take on Norvell is interesting and somewhat reminds me of Brian Kelly after his first year at ND. Now I am certainly not equating ND to Memphis but your mention of defense strikes my memory. Kelly had a successful run at Cincy and was known as a good offensive mind. But after his first year at ND I think they finished near or just above .500 including a bowl game. They asked Kelly what were his priorities in the offseason and the first thing he said was "I have to go out and recruit for defense" He then said "I can manufacture offense, but I can't manufacture defense" . I think Shane Matthews has gone on record as saying if you are an offensive minded coach and take over a porous offensive team, that results and improvement should almost be seen immediately, even if not by huge strides. But it does seem that ND's most successful seasons since Kelly has been there has been when they have been athletic and talented on defense. This year they are not dynamic on offense and have a limited passing game, but they sure are physical, possess the ball and run the ball with incredible effectiveness.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Remember '78. to most people we are NOT hiring a Head Football Coach. We are hiring an offensive football coach. The other 200 facets of football don;t seem to matter to most. Of course I am kidding, but it does seem like that sometimes.

Your take on Norvell is interesting and somewhat reminds me of Brian Kelly after his first year at ND. Now I am certainly not equating ND to Memphis but your mention of defense strikes my memory. Kelly had a successful run at Cincy and was known as a good offensive mind. But after his first year at ND I think they finished near or just above .500 including a bowl game. They asked Kelly what were his priorities in the offseason and the first thing he said was "I have to go out and recruit for defense" He then said "I can manufacture offense, but I can't manufacture defense" . I think Shane Matthews has gone on record as saying if you are an offensive minded coach and take over a porous offensive team, that results and improvement should almost be seen immediately, even if not by huge strides. But it does seem that ND's most successful seasons since Kelly has been there has been when they have been athletic and talented on defense. This year they are not dynamic on offense and have a limited passing game, but they sure are physical, possess the ball and run the ball with incredible effectiveness.

Agree on the offensive coaches coming in. But honestly, w/ the talent in our state - if the new coaches can recruit - we should never be bad on defense. I'm going to assume Frost (or whomever) will bring in a DC they feel confident in. There are a ton of good defensive minds out there.....and talent often overcomes mediocre coaching. Unfortunately, Butters is leaving the new guy w/ a bunch of 3-star defensive players.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Memphis has lots of fineness & speed no doubt about that....but yeah, like it's already been noted a porous defense against a 2 - 7 team....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator