Watching the Memphis game tonight (Norvell offense)

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I have a bad taste in my mouth about Tulsa. We played the Golden Hurricanes in our 0-10-1 season [they were our homecoming game] and that 6-5 team beat us 20 - 10. It would have been a shutout by Tulsa if Ochab hadn't come off the bench in the 4th qtr to drive for two scores.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

No he wasn't. Graham is a defensive guy. He's running his own offense for a while now.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
I have a bad taste in my mouth about Tulsa. We played the Golden Hurricanes in our 0-10-1 season [they were our homecoming game] and that 6-5 team beat us 20 - 10. It would have been a shutout by Tulsa if Ochab hadn't come off the bench in the 4th qtr to drive for two scores.

Larry Ochab - One of the least talented QBs to ever take the field for the Gators - but he was All Gator giving it everything he had. Which wasn't much, but he tried like hell. I still remember 0-10-1 with a smile. We knew that team would be good the next year. Went into the UGA game 6-1 in '80.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Let it go bro!! (I went to my first UF game that season and Ochab played, we went up 3-0 on Kentucky....and lost 33-3, I was 9 years old).

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Agree on the offensive coaches coming in. But honestly, w/ the talent in our state - if the new coaches can recruit - we should never be bad on defense. I'm going to assume Frost (or whomever) will bring in a DC they feel confident in. There are a ton of good defensive minds out there.....and talent often overcomes mediocre coaching. Unfortunately, Butters is leaving the new guy w/ a bunch of 3-star defensive players.
I remember getting curb-stomped by Nebraska in '95, SOS then bringing in Stoops as DC, and subsequently winning the '96 NC. Seems like thete's a lesson is in there somewhere . . .

Our next hire should absolutely be dependent on who that guy wants to bring in as DC.

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I remember getting curb-stomped by Nebraska in '95, SOS then bringing in Stoops as DC, and subsequently winning the '96 NC. Seems like a lesson is in there somewhere . . .
Yeah the lesson was that we avoided having to play Nebraska in ‘96. Thank God (or at least James Brown, the Texas QB) for that.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah the lesson was that we avoided having to play Nebraska in ‘96. Thank God (or at least James Brown, the Texas QB).
Traded Pruitt and Zook for Stoops. Would have been different then.

Remember that it wasn't that bad at half time--like 24-17 or so memory is fuzzy-- then they watched some film and figured out the Zook had something uncovered on some of the options. I forget what now.

Before someone says "it was Pruett" , no It wasn't. Pruett was at Marshall all of December but did join the team in Tempe. Zook did the game plan and install.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
You realize he isn't playing with any of his guys? And his recruiting at ASU wasn't exactly impressive. He wasn't awful, but nothing impressive. I like his offense. He is too much of an unknown. I'll pass.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Neither do I. And I don't know that norvell should be the first choice. But in the scenario that we strike out on frost and we're not gonna go after a coach from a p5 conference, then norvell would be my first choice imo. Also I don't think we'll ever be as bad on defense as texas tech here at Florida.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

He's getting positive pub because he's on track in having the best season at Memphis in over 50 years. Even Fuente's best year there was a 3 loss team and everyone agrees he's a really good coach.

I don't think Norvell's anyone's top choice for UF because of his short coaching tenure, but what he's done so far this year is impressive. He may not be UF s next coach, but I think he does end up in the SEC either at the end of this year or next.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
I really do find it amazing that every single offense in college football is so much more competent than ours.
It's been like that for the last 7 years. No matter what level you watch, from HS to directional schools, their offenses looked better than ours.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Not every single one, just 116 or so.

Of course some of the teams behind us have zero blue chippers.
Law Donkey, I just noticed your Avatar. Keeping up with them is difficult. This one is especially cold if I'm reading the conotation right :-),

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator